What Is Best LCD Monitor for Gaming?

Hey,
Buying a new computer system, for gaming, and I need to know what is the
best LCD
computer monitor there is to get....
aw.. go ahead and give me several choices, if there are several?
Please.
bill

Bill V wrote:

> Hey,
> Buying a new computer system, for gaming, and I need to know what is the
> best LCD
> computer monitor there is to get....
> aw.. go ahead and give me several choices, if there are several?

You're in a Dell newsgroup... Do you want a Dell monitor?

Notan

DELL would be fine as I already own a couple...
...but sometimes people get another monitor to run on their DELL system for
various reasons...
......and if that is the case a report as to how they liked it would be fine
too.

I have looked at the DELL 2001 FP does anybody have any gaming experience
with that one?
If so which games do you play on it?
thanks,
Bill V.

"Bill V" <mothergoose_enb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> DELL would be fine as I already own a couple...
> ..but sometimes people get another monitor to run on their DELL system for
> various reasons...
> .....and if that is the case a report as to how they liked it would be
> fine
> too.
>
> I have looked at the DELL 2001 FP does anybody have any gaming experience
> with that one?
> If so which games do you play on it?

I don't have personal experience with the 2001 FP, but it has been reviewed
very highly by several gaming sites. Here's one review:
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=1918

Bill V wrote:

> Hey,
> Buying a new computer system, for gaming, and I need to know what is the
> best LCD
> computer monitor there is to get....
> aw.. go ahead and give me several choices, if there are several?

These "best" questions, in theory, involve a comparison.

Most individuals buy a single monitor and decide whether
they like it or not. They don't have the time, or the
money, to do much in the way of comparison testing.

Might I suggest some magazine reviews?

Notan

"Bill V" <mothergoose_enb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> DELL would be fine as I already own a couple...
> ..but sometimes people get another monitor to run on their DELL system for
> various reasons...
> .....and if that is the case a report as to how they liked it would be
fine
> too.
>
> I have looked at the DELL 2001 FP does anybody have any gaming experience
> with that one?
> If so which games do you play on it?
> thanks,
> Bill V.

Most recently:
Doom 3
Far-Cry
Worms 3D
Half-Life

Oddly enough of the above they all look *great* apart from Half-Life, which
looks seems to 'judder' compared to my CRT. This is probably a config
issue.

To be honest I think that CRT's are more vibrant and the colors are more
realistic, while LCD's are more precise and easier on the eye. However, the
2001FP is *sooo* much better than a CRT when not gaming that unless you
spend 10 hours a day just playing first-person shooters then it's a no
brainer ... get the 2001FP.

Even the old 2000FP looked good - back when I played Return to Castle
Wolfenstein and the Medal of Honor. Certainly good enough for games of the
time - though the challenge was to get it running OK at the native
resolution (1600x1200).

Resolution is something you may want to consider. I cannot play Doom 3 at
1600x1200 with all the fancy graphics turned up (in truth even with them
turned down my PC crashes). LCD's never look quite as good when running at
a different resolution then their best - though D3 is so dark you will be
pushed to notice the difference.

< Note that I'm running a 2000FP, 2001FP and Iilyama 454 19" CRT on
different systems and use all for gaming.>

"MrTwei" <nospam@nothankyoumuch.net> wrote in message
> "Bill V" <mothergoose_enb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > DELL would be fine as I already own a couple...
> > ..but sometimes people get another monitor to run on their DELL system
for
> > various reasons...
> > .....and if that is the case a report as to how they liked it would be
> fine
> > too.
> >
> > I have looked at the DELL 2001 FP does anybody have any gaming
experience
> > with that one?
> > If so which games do you play on it?
> > thanks,
> > Bill V.
>
> Most recently:
> Doom 3
> Far-Cry
> Worms 3D
> Half-Life
>
> Oddly enough of the above they all look *great* apart from Half-Life,
which
> looks seems to 'judder' compared to my CRT. This is probably a config
> issue.
>
> To be honest I think that CRT's are more vibrant and the colors are more
> realistic, while LCD's are more precise and easier on the eye. However,
the
> 2001FP is *sooo* much better than a CRT when not gaming that unless you
> spend 10 hours a day just playing first-person shooters then it's a no
> brainer ... get the 2001FP.
>
> Even the old 2000FP looked good - back when I played Return to Castle
> Wolfenstein and the Medal of Honor. Certainly good enough for games of
the
> time - though the challenge was to get it running OK at the native
> resolution (1600x1200).
>
> Resolution is something you may want to consider. I cannot play Doom 3 at
> 1600x1200 with all the fancy graphics turned up (in truth even with them
> turned down my PC crashes). LCD's never look quite as good when running
at
> a different resolution then their best - though D3 is so dark you will be
> pushed to notice the difference.
>
> < Note that I'm running a 2000FP, 2001FP and Iilyama 454 19" CRT on
> different systems and use all for gaming.>

thanks for the reply,
This will be a new system with an NVIDIA 6800 ultra video card on it so the
adjustment room should be there for Doom 3 and Far Cry etc. esp. for
EverQuest.
How much larger size wise would the 2001 FP be in relation to the DELL 17
inch crt?
Do you think it would-be , ah let's say not too much of a change?
this is for the college dorm room.
thanks,
Bill

How much larger size wise would the 2001 FP be in relation to the DELL 17
> inch crt?
> Do you think it would-be , ah let's say not too much of a change?
> this is for the college dorm room.
> thanks,
> Bill

Screen size, the difference is huge! The 2001 is the equivalent of a 23
inch monitor. The 17 inch monitor is the same screen size as a 15 inch LCD.

BUT, and it is a big but, the 2001FP is physically small and very thin.
Perfect for a dorm room.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:

> "Bill V" <mothergoose_enb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How much larger size wise would the 2001 FP be in relation to the DELL 17
> > inch crt?
> > Do you think it would-be , ah let's say not too much of a change?
> > this is for the college dorm room.
> > thanks,
> > Bill
> >

> Screen size, the difference is huge! The 2001 is the equivalent of a 23
> inch monitor. The 17 inch monitor is the same screen size as a 15 inch LCD.
>
> BUT, and it is a big but, the 2001FP is physically small and very thin.
> Perfect for a dorm room.

"Perfect for a dorm room?"

I'm not sure what size dorm rooms y'all were in, but a 20" LCD
seems like overkill.

Have you considered the highly rated 1701 LCD?

Notan

Notan wrote:

> Tom Scales wrote:
> >
> > "Bill V" <mothergoose_enb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > How much larger size wise would the 2001 FP be in relation to the DELL 17
> > > inch crt?
> > > Do you think it would-be , ah let's say not too much of a change?
> > > this is for the college dorm room.
> > > thanks,
> > > Bill
> > >

> > Screen size, the difference is huge! The 2001 is the equivalent of a 23
> > inch monitor. The 17 inch monitor is the same screen size as a 15 inch LCD.
> >
> > BUT, and it is a big but, the 2001FP is physically small and very thin.
> > Perfect for a dorm room.
>
> "Perfect for a dorm room?"
>
> I'm not sure what size dorm rooms y'all were in, but a 20" LCD
> seems like overkill.
>
> Have you considered the highly rated 1701 LCD?
>
> Notan

Or even the 1901?

Notan

The 2001FragPeripheral rocks!

The thing the 2001FP has over the other Dell LCD's and what makes it
great for gaming is the response time of 16 milliseconds. Unless there
has been a recent update that I'm not aware of, this feature is
currently unique to the Dell 2001FP model.

I purchased a 2001FP specifically for gaming and love it. It has a small
footprint for its size and has a very good image. I can even tote it
around to LAN parties and competitions without much hassle. There's no
"fuzz factor" effect in high-speed games like UT2004 like there is with
other LCD's.

I run both Doom 3 and Far Cry in 1600*1200 with all the eye candy turned
on with the 2001FP and it looks fantastic ...especially with all the
lights out.

and...
chicks dig the 2001FP.

happy fragging,
enkrypt

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:59:41 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, enkrypt
<usenet@orendazen.com> wrote:

>The thing the 2001FP has over the other Dell LCD's and what makes it
>great for gaming is the response time of 16 milliseconds. Unless there
>has been a recent update that I'm not aware of, this feature is
>currently unique to the Dell 2001FP model.

This thread caught my eye, because I've been thinking about possibly getting
an LCD monitor for a while now.

I just went to look at Dell's web site, and made this interesting discovery:

One of the monitors available with the Dimension XPS Gen3 system is the
1704FPT Ultrasharp, with a response time of _13_ ms. The other specs (from
the 'Help me choose' link) also look pretty decent.

But: when I went to the monitor section of the site to see what the price
was, the 1704FPT is NOT listed there; the only 17" Dells I saw were the
Ultrasharp 1703FP, E172FP, and the E173FP.

I haven't dug through other parts of the site, but it might be that the
1704FPT is only available with a system; it can't be purchased separately.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

> was, the 1704FPT is NOT listed there; the only 17" Dells I saw were the
> Ultrasharp 1703FP, E172FP, and the E173FP.
>
> I haven't dug through other parts of the site, but it might be that the
> 1704FPT is only available with a system; it can't be purchased separately.

Huh, if you find out about the availability of the 1704FPT please post
because it just might be "the" one....<grins>
The _13_MS sounds great........
Bill

> > Screen size, the difference is huge! The 2001 is the equivalent of a 23
> > inch monitor. The 17 inch monitor is the same screen size as a 15 inch
LCD.

> > BUT, and it is a big but, the 2001FP is physically small and very thin.
> > Perfect for a dorm room.
>
> "Perfect for a dorm room?"
>
> I'm not sure what size dorm rooms y'all were in, but a 20" LCD
> seems like overkill.
>
> Have you considered the highly rated 1701 LCD?
>
> Notan

Yes I am considering the 1701.
Even the 17"LCD will be noticeably larger than the e17"crt, right?
Bill

> I just went to look at Dell's web site, and made this interesting
discovery:

> One of the monitors available with the Dimension XPS Gen3 system is the
> 1704FPT Ultrasharp, with a response time of _13_ ms. The other specs
(from
> the 'Help me choose' link) also look pretty decent.
>

> But: when I went to the monitor section of the site to see what the price
> was, the 1704FPT is NOT listed there; the only 17" Dells I saw were the
> Ultrasharp 1703FP, E172FP, and the E173FP.
>
> I haven't dug through other parts of the site, but it might be that the
> 1704FPT is only available with a system; it can't be purchased separately.

Well, I just called DELL, as I was curious, and got an upset stomach trying
to find out if they have the 1704FPT!
I got someone from India and I think they were telling me that the 1703 is
the same monitor but simply not in the bundle of a system.
But when I asked about the response time dell rep. started telling me it was
in stock and would ship so and so....I said that I thought we were having a
communication problem because I am asking about the specs to see if it is
the same as the other LCD but I finally gave up ...so it "might" be
available as the 1703 but I am not sure.

bill

It took some serious searching as the 1703 specs don't include the response
time. FINALLY found a page that did "25 ms".

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/monitor_1703fp?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&~tab=specstab#tabtop

Not the same monitor. Not even close.

1704 does not look to be available except with systems -- yet.

>> I just went to look at Dell's web site, and made this interesting
> discovery:
>>
>> One of the monitors available with the Dimension XPS Gen3 system is the
>> 1704FPT Ultrasharp, with a response time of _13_ ms. The other specs
> (from
>> the 'Help me choose' link) also look pretty decent.
>>

>> But: when I went to the monitor section of the site to see what the price
>> was, the 1704FPT is NOT listed there; the only 17" Dells I saw were the
>> Ultrasharp 1703FP, E172FP, and the E173FP.
>>
>> I haven't dug through other parts of the site, but it might be that the
>> 1704FPT is only available with a system; it can't be purchased
>> separately.
>
> Well, I just called DELL, as I was curious, and got an upset stomach
> trying
> to find out if they have the 1704FPT!
> I got someone from India and I think they were telling me that the 1703 is
> the same monitor but simply not in the bundle of a system.
> But when I asked about the response time dell rep. started telling me it
> was
> in stock and would ship so and so....I said that I thought we were having
> communication problem because I am asking about the specs to see if it is
> the same as the other LCD but I finally gave up ...so it "might" be
> available as the 1703 but I am not sure.
>
> bill

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:44:38 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Bill V"
<mothergoose_enb@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Well, I just called DELL, as I was curious, and got an upset stomach trying
>to find out if they have the 1704FPT!
>I got someone from India and I think they were telling me that the 1703 is
>the same monitor but simply not in the bundle of a system.
>But when I asked about the response time dell rep. started telling me it was
>in stock and would ship so and so....I said that I thought we were having a
>communication problem because I am asking about the specs to see if it is
>the same as the other LCD but I finally gave up ...so it "might" be
>available as the 1703 but I am not sure.

From my brief look, the specs are different enough that I don't think
they're the same monitor.

Pure speculation here: I'd guess that the 1704 version is an upgraded
version of the 1703. So (to me) it seems reasonable that only selling the
1704 with systems would allow them to clear out their stock of 1703s from
the monitor sales page.

As I said: pure speculation on my part!

Another interesting observation: I went back to their web site and entered
"1704FPT" as a search word on the Dell main page, and wound up with pages
for the 1703; no pages for the 1704 at all. Weird...

I finally went ahead and ordered the 2001FP: been hearing good things about
it, like the specs, and my 3 1/2 year old P991 CRT is getting shaky.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

> thanks for the reply,
> This will be a new system with an NVIDIA 6800 ultra video card on it so
the
> adjustment room should be there for Doom 3 and Far Cry etc. esp. for
> EverQuest.
> How much larger size wise would the 2001 FP be in relation to the DELL 17
> inch crt?
> Do you think it would-be , ah let's say not too much of a change?
> this is for the college dorm room.
> thanks,
> Bill

I'm jumping in after all the other replies, but just wanted to say that in
real terms the 2001FP takes up less space than *any* CRT you could find.
You could have a 6" shelf and still use it - with the keyboard on your
knees. And it can be hung on the wall (AFAIK).

And the 6800 will run everything just fine at 1600x1200, as long as the rest
of the kit is up to speed too.

MrTwei wrote:

> > thanks for the reply,
> > This will be a new system with an NVIDIA 6800 ultra video card on it so
> the
> > adjustment room should be there for Doom 3 and Far Cry etc. esp. for
> > EverQuest.
> > How much larger size wise would the 2001 FP be in relation to the DELL 17
> > inch crt?
> > Do you think it would-be , ah let's say not too much of a change?
> > this is for the college dorm room.
> > thanks,
> > Bill
> >

> I'm jumping in after all the other replies, but just wanted to say that in
> real terms the 2001FP takes up less space than *any* CRT you could find.
> You could have a 6" shelf and still use it - with the keyboard on your
> knees. And it can be hung on the wall (AFAIK).
>
> And the 6800 will run everything just fine at 1600x1200, as long as the rest
> of the kit is up to speed too.

When I suggested that a 20" LCD was too big, I was mainly referring
to overall size. In addition, while the monitor might only be 6" deep,
you've got to be sitting a good distance away, in order to view it
properly/comfortably.

Notan

> > I'm jumping in after all the other replies, but just wanted to say that
in
> > real terms the 2001FP takes up less space than *any* CRT you could find.
> > You could have a 6" shelf and still use it - with the keyboard on your
> > knees. And it can be hung on the wall (AFAIK).
> >
> > And the 6800 will run everything just fine at 1600x1200, as long as the
rest
> > of the kit is up to speed too.
>
> When I suggested that a 20" LCD was too big, I was mainly referring
> to overall size. In addition, while the monitor might only be 6" deep,
> you've got to be sitting a good distance away, in order to view it
> properly/comfortably.
>
> Notan

Hmm. Do you think? I feel it's comfortably usable at about 18". Nose to
screen I use my 2000FP at an average distance of 24", for ~45 hours a week.
I would not sit this close to a CRT of that size - no seriously, my 454
makes my face glow!!

Perhaps then the qualification is that I would not recommend it's use in
rooms that are less than 2.5 feet wide. :)

MrTwei wrote:

> > > I'm jumping in after all the other replies, but just wanted to say that
> in
> > > real terms the 2001FP takes up less space than *any* CRT you could find.
> > > You could have a 6" shelf and still use it - with the keyboard on your
> > > knees. And it can be hung on the wall (AFAIK).
> > >
> > > And the 6800 will run everything just fine at 1600x1200, as long as the
> rest
> > > of the kit is up to speed too.
> >
> > When I suggested that a 20" LCD was too big, I was mainly referring
> > to overall size. In addition, while the monitor might only be 6" deep,
> > you've got to be sitting a good distance away, in order to view it
> > properly/comfortably.
> >
> > Notan
>
> Hmm. Do you think? I feel it's comfortably usable at about 18". Nose to
> screen I use my 2000FP at an average distance of 24", for ~45 hours a week.
> I would not sit this close to a CRT of that size - no seriously, my 454
> makes my face glow!!
>
> Perhaps then the qualification is that I would not recommend it's use in
> rooms that are less than 2.5 feet wide. :)

I think the OP needs to look at different size monitors, with different
screen resolutions.

What's "comfortable" is pretty subjective.

Notan