Solved

I have an icon on my desktop which i cant delete

Hello,
can anybody help me?.
Reply to sandcreature
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about icon desktop delete
  1. I have tried shift+delete and deleting from cmd. But each time it says the file doesn't exist. By the way the icon is a folder type
    Reply to sandcreature
  2. right click on your desktop and go to "refresh."
    Reply to neon neophyte
  3. I have had this problem for the past 5 months. Refreshing and restarting have not helped. :(
    Reply to sandcreature
  4. Curios if it does just need a refresh. Please let us know. Common and annoying issue with Windows 7. Oh, you beat me to it. How about booting into safe mode with F8 and deleting it there
    Reply to whiteodian
  5. Best answer
    Reply to neon neophyte
  6. I tried deleting it in safe mode just now. It didn't work.
    I'll try the download_unlocker and report back in a few minutes.
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Reply to sandcreature
  7. Was it an elevated command prompt you tried before? http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/112746-unable-delete-folders.html
    Reply to whiteodian
  8. when you try to delete, what is the message you get ?
    Reply to digdog
  9. Wohooooooooo....
    The unlocker software deleted it. (well at first it said, it can't delete it but will try at the first reboot, but I tried again and voila! it was gone).
    LOVE YOU GUYS.
    THANKS A TON!
    Reply to sandcreature
  10. Best answer selected by sandcreature.
    Reply to sandcreature
  11. Thanks for the solution guys that worked a treat.

I too had a file that was a partially downloaded and the icon still remained after attempting to delete the file.

After right clicking and selecting the refresh option the icon disappeared soon after.

Thanks again for such a simple solution.

Tom
    Reply to TazzieDevil7373
  12. the best solution download unlocker it worked
    Reply to Ihsaan_2
  13. Hello I am trying to fix a similar problem on a clients computer, the link for the solution on this thread is now giving a 404 error, is there any links to this unlocker programme that are more up to date?
    thanks

edit: the client is using windows 10, should this provide any added complications
    Reply to mardiplopfish
  14. mardiplopfish said:
    Hello I am trying to fix a similar problem on a clients computer, the link for the solution on this thread is now giving a 404 error, is there any links to this unlocker programme that are more up to date?
    thanks

edit: the client is using windows 10, should this provide any added complications

<<mardiplopfish>>
    TRY THIS LINK: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html
    OR GOOGLE IT FOR MORE LINKS...
    WORKED LIKE A CHARM :D
    [UNCHECK DELTA TOOLBAR OPTION UNDER ADVANCED BEFORE INSTALLING TO AVOID IT!]
    PS. ALSO TRIED THE WINRAR-TRICK SOMEONE RECKOMENDED BUT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME...
    -=(GODEViL)=-

::: majorgeeks :::
    Unlocker 1.9.2
    Author: Cedrick Collomb
    Date: 05/17/2013 11:34 AM
    Size: 1 MB
    License: Ad-Supported
    Requires: Win 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP

Unlocker helps delete locked files with error messages including "cannot delete file," and "access is denied." Video tutorial available.
    Some errors you might get that Unlocker can help with include:
    Cannot delete file: Access is denied.
    There has been a sharing violation.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
    Editor's Note:
    Tested under Windows 10. See video.
    Reply to dsl0.0lsd
  15. It could be because it is located in the shared desktop folder. Try: right click, open file location, and then delete it from where it actually is.
    Reply to 1uckinghell
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Desktops Windows 7