Sign in with
Your question

BSOD on sleep - INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR

Last response: in Windows 7
January 28, 2013 3:56:38 PM

Hey guys,

I have recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows 7 (home premium x64)

I have noticed that when I attempt to put my PC into sleep now, it gets the blue screen of death, with the error "INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR", but does not generate any mini dumps.

I have tried several things from the microsoft support site, like increasing the sleep memory and disabling and re-enabling hibernation, but still haven't had any luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jared
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2013 4:05:45 PM

Nope it wont. Because you have not set up your power modes in the bios or enabled them.
They need to be enabled.
You need to go into the bios and find the Apci option.

And set what we call the S modes up.

S1,S3 suspend to ram. S4 mode suspend to Hard disk drive.

The first mode S1,S3 will turn the computer off leaving only the ram modules with power to store all the data, where when on a resume it will start where you last left it, if the system was sent into hibernating, sleep mode.

The second mode will save the current state of the OS and any programs running in windows to the HD drive and resume from there as it creates an Image of what was running at the time. So you need to set them up in the bios to get rid of the error messages you are getting.

S4 mode is better than S1 or S3 mode because if there is a power cut all data will be lost
stored in the Ram as it is volatile memory, it always needs power to store Data, and hold it.

Choose a mode set it up in the Bios, save the settings, exit the bios.
Let the system load and test it.

It should work and fix the problem.
January 28, 2013 4:31:29 PM

Hi weaselman,

Thanks for the reply.

I have just been into my bios, ACPI 2.0 was already enabled and set to auto detect whether to use S1 or S3

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jared
Related resources
January 28, 2013 5:00:43 PM

ACPI sleep states:
S0: Monitor off, system still running tasks
S1: CPU idle (parked)
S2: CPU powered off
S3: "Sleep/Standby", state is saved in RAM, the rest of the system is powered down
S4: "Hibernation", state is saved to disk, system powered down
S5: "Shut down", state is lost, system powered down

Be sure that these power saving features are enabled, otherwise sleep and hibernate won't work.
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2013 5:12:48 PM

Hang on !
a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2013 5:13:54 PM

Can you tell us what motherboard is in the Pc?

It`s brand name, and model number of the motherboard., then we can check all the settings you need setup in the bios are right Jared, in case something was missed.
January 28, 2013 5:20:16 PM

weaselman said:
Can you tell us what motherboard is in the Pc?

It`s brand name, and model number of the motherboard., then we can check all the settings you need setup in the bios are right Jared, in case something was missed.

MOBO - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium x64
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6870
RAM - 8GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU - 650W PSU

I also set up RAID0 with the recent format I did with 2 1TB 7200rpm HDDs

Thanks,

Jared
!