next question

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Ok, I understand the maths involved (one of my strong subjects maths :))
but was wondering which method you lot employed when measuring the quantity
of powder required for your ammo.

I'm using reloder 15, which when using "Modern Reloading" comes in at
0.070750988142292490118577075098814 per grain exactly. Obviously there's
discrepancies in the volume/weight ratio in each tub of powder, but which
one is more important, the weight or the volume?
Do I have more volume in the case if my powder weighs less, or do I keep the
volume the same and just drop the grains?
I'm guessing I stick with the weight. I know how to work out my own powder's
grain/volume ratio, but which one is the one that needs to stay the same
consistently? grains or volume!

With my powder and weight of bullet, Modern Reloading says grains 25.3,
volume 1.79cc. Which one do I keep for my own measures at the sacrifice of
the other?

Cheers,

Ross.

--
CBR600RR (Broken)
TFSTR#[1]

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

In message <cislq9$rf9$1@sparta.btinternet.com>, Filth
<rossnoades@hotmail.com> writes

>I'm using reloder 15, which when using "Modern Reloading" comes in at
>0.070750988142292490118577075098814 per grain exactly. Obviously there's
>discrepancies in the volume/weight ratio in each tub of powder, but which
>one is more important, the weight or the volume?

The charge is specified by mass (weight) but in general the charge is
metered by volume. You must control the mass of the charge.

What kit do you have: a scoop, a powder measure? You *do* have a proper
powder scale, right?

>Do I have more volume in the case if my powder weighs less, or do I keep the
>volume the same and just drop the grains?

In reloading terms, 'grain' is a unit of measure, there being about 15.4
grains to the gram (and 7,000 grains to the pound). If by grain you
mean the individual piece of powder then a better term is 'granule'.

>I'm guessing I stick with the weight.

Yes, you specify powder charges by weight, normally in grains.

>With my powder and weight of bullet, Modern Reloading says grains 25.3,
>volume 1.79cc. Which one do I keep for my own measures at the sacrifice of
>the other?

What you can do is this. Whichever tool you are using (and it sounds
like a scoop), do a run of say 25 samples. I mean, scoop up your charge
of powder or use your powder measure to throw a charge. Weight the
charge and write down the weight. Put that charge back into the tub and
take another sample. Once you are satisfied that your method is
producing charges that are (in this case) close to your target charge of
25.3 grains (grain being the unit of mass) then you can relax knowing
that the system works.

What's meant by 'close to'? You're loading for 223, yes? In that
cartridge, and 1/2 grain variation (i.e. +/- 1/2 grain) is quite a bit.
You should aim to be within that kind of tolerance. If you can't
achieve that then you need to alter your method or technique.

I see that John is suggesting you start at the lowest charge listed.
I've had problems arise from that course: an insufficient charge will
fail to expand the case and thus fail to seal the chamber which results
in a sooted case. I suggest you pick a charge right in the middle.

--
--Jonathan

"Justice is open to everybody in the same way as the Ritz Hotel."
Judge Sturgess, 22 July 1928

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Filth" <rossnoades@hotmail.com> wrote in news:cisrnh$hj0$1
@hercules.btinternet.com:

> So the answer to my question is that the weight is what i
must keep
> consistent, and not the volume?

If each load is the same weight, the volume will be more or
less the same.
I guess both methods would be acceptable but measure by weight
because you can consistently check each load and know for a
fact how much powder you have charged the case with. Later on,
you could experiment with volume of powder.
The question you ask is more or less like asking if you should
watch BBC1 or ITV, both are okay but it depends which one you
like watching. My advice is to use your scales, that’s what *I
do*.
It’s safe and easy.

John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Jonathan Spencer +ADw-jms+AEA-NOTMEjonathan-spencer.co.uk+AD4- wrote in

+AD4- I see that John is suggesting you start at the lowest charge listed.
+AD4- I've had problems arise from that course: an insufficient charge
will
+AD4- fail to expand the case and thus fail to seal the chamber which
+AD4- results in a sooted case. I suggest you pick a charge right in the
+AD4- middle.

On the other hand, my .243 shows high pressure signs from mid way up.
I firmly believe in starting at the beginning and working your way up.
Log each load, test each load and retain your test targets. These days I
don+IBk-t bother with .1 grain increments, I go for .5.
Along the way, I find one or two loads that produce the best accuracy.
This will give you an option of low and high power (as I like to call
them). Usually I stick with the low power load, which will give slightly
less recoil and report and slightly less wear on the rifle.
We are of course moving in to the next stage that Ross will have to learn
but for now may I suggest we let him load a few rounds, pop them off and
enjoy?

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

In message <Xns956D4A9F64F4AOEcopyremovedheaders@130.133.1.4>, John
<zero_one34@hotmail.com> writes

>On the other hand, my .243 shows high pressure signs from mid way up.

Well, it shouldn't. Specifically what signs are exhibited, and with
what load? And what is the rifle?

Jonathan Spencer <jms@NOTMEjonathan-spencer.co.uk> wrote in

> In message <Xns956D4A9F64F4AOEcopyremovedheaders@130.133.1.4>, John
> <zero_one34@hotmail.com> writes
>
>>On the other hand, my .243 shows high pressure signs from mid way up.
>
> Well, it shouldn't. Specifically what signs are exhibited, and with
> what load? And what is the rifle?

Tight bolt, Marked head stamp, very flat primer with little or no pin
marks or cratered , high velocity when compared to the stated, loose
primer,need I go on.

Mannlicher pro-hunter.

Not sure of the exact loads but start from 42.5 grains of H4350. (100
grain bullet)

John