Back from the dead

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
I know, I know.... I've been MIA. Turns out that I work too much. Can't wait to get back to school (no work, nice T1 to play with). Beyond that, I now have a new toy. I recently (well, 3rd week of July) purchased all those shiny new parts to make myself a nice machine. I got me a Antec sx830 case, retail 1.2GHz AXIA T-bird "C", A7A266 'board, 512MB of Crucial PC2100, Deskstar 40GB 60GXP, 17" monitor, old voodoo3 (a "hand-me-down" from my bro's comp. Punk got a GeForce3), nice modem, ethernet card, SBLive!, and other various stuff. After spending a few hours putting it all together, I booted it up, only to get a beep code. Whoops, forgot to add power to the HD. Okay... tried again. This time, the IDE cable to the CD was screwy. Replace and reboot. SUCCESS! Now, to fdisk the drive.... whoops, didn't exit it right the first time, do it again. There. Install Win98SE (no ME on this one), added periphels piece by piece. Copied pre-downloaded drivers onto comp. Installed them. All is good. Its now been two full weeks of constant running, stressing (seti and sandra), and gaming (nothing with meat, since my old CPU was a 300 with Voodoo2). Not a crash, not a hiccup. Only problems were user created, and easily fixed. I've, so far, avoided all the "issues" that are associated with CPU building, be it Intel or AMD, haven't fried a part, or cracked a core (have removed HSF around6 times). Only problem I have is that my multiplier is locked, and even with the L1 and L2 bridges all connected. Tried to connect L3 and L4 bridges, and I ended up acheveing nothing except stressing myself over HSF removal and install. (oh, and also somehow setting my FSB, PCI clocks to 118/39.... bad thing.) I've tried it both with and without jumpers, and to no avail. Ah well, not to important to me anyway. It's all good.

-SammyBoy

FatBurger

Illustrious
Oh come on, you know I'm just joking around. You remember me, right?
lol

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
sounds all good.

wish i had your luck.
whenever i get a new system (weather it be amd OR intel) i always spend the first week or so bug hunting.

another sucess story to counter amdmeltdowns moroninside fairy tales :)

ever thought of going to win2k?

My hamster really wants to give you a big kiss, you sexy hunk you!