Sign in with
Your question

Computer keeps going in an infinite start up loop after unplugged bymistake.

Last response: in Windows 7
January 28, 2013 6:13:21 PM

Last night i was playing a game (DmC) on my computer and my cousin came out of nowhere and unplugged everything. (it was a multi plug that was connected to my tv, monitor and computer) When i turned my pc back on: it asked me if i wanted to repair the problem; so i clicked yes. After awhile, the computer restarted, but now it can't seem to start normally anymore, all the safe mode options work, but every time i choose to start it normally; it just goes in an infinite start up loop.
It shows the hp logo, then says that it's starting up, shows a black screen with the mouse symbol showing and starts that pattern all over again.
What could have gone wrong? is there anything i can do?

(specs)
an hp pavilion p7-1205 with a
2nd generation intel core i5-2320 processor
intel hd graphics
2 terabyte hard drive
wireless lan 802.11b/g.n
genuine windows 7 home premium

a b $ Windows 7
January 28, 2013 6:15:50 PM

try a new user profile.
m
l
January 29, 2013 2:49:12 AM

You need to reset CMOS, just follw this

To reset CMOS
1. Power off the computer and make sure that it is unplugged.

2. Open up your computers case. You need physical access to the motherboard to complete this procedure.

3. Find a circular, (mostly) silver metallic object on the motherboard. This is the CMOS battery.

4. CAREFULLY remove the CMOS battery and leave it out for about 15 minutes. This will flush the CMOS configuration and will reset everything to factory defaults.

5. Set the battery back into place and power on the computer.

6. The computer should then warn you that the CMOS configuration could not be found. You can either reconfigure it yourself or restore defaults. Restoring the default configuration should be fine.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 3:03:54 AM

If that doesn't work, It's time you take a look at everything running and starting up when your computer does.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.
m
l
January 29, 2013 3:16:24 AM

His PC not passing POST screen - not booting, it is most likely power supply issues, but first need to reset CMOS, if no help, next would be power supoly change.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 3:20:24 AM

Christoro23 said:
Last night i was playing a game (DmC) on my computer and my cousin came out of nowhere and unplugged everything. (it was a multi plug that was connected to my tv, monitor and computer) When i turned my pc back on: it asked me if i wanted to repair the problem; so i clicked yes. After awhile, the computer restarted, but now it can't seem to start normally anymore, all the safe mode options work, but every time i choose to start it normally; it just goes in an infinite start up loop.
It shows the hp logo, then says that it's starting up, shows a black screen with the mouse symbol showing and starts that pattern all over again.

What could have gone wrong? is there anything i can do?

(specs)
an hp pavilion p7-1205 with a
2nd generation intel core i5-2320 processor
intel hd graphics
2 terabyte hard drive
wireless lan 802.11b/g.n
genuine windows 7 home premium

According to what he mentioned it is getting past POST but something loading when windows does is causing it to reboot in a loop. He did also mention that Safe Mode works fine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 3:20:34 AM

Since the safe mode options work its obviously posting. Boot to safe mode and try a system restore.
m
l
January 29, 2013 3:26:54 AM

hedwar2011 said:
According to what he mentioned it is getting past POST but something loading when windows does is causing it to reboot in a loop. He did also mention that Safe Mode works fine.

Where you got this quote, I don't see the original, yes he posted twice http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/67425-63-computer-sta...
But I don't see Safe Mode anywhere.
m
l
January 29, 2013 4:42:19 AM

Problems started from improper shut down, reset CMOS first, next system restore from safe mode.
m
l
January 29, 2013 5:06:35 AM

Take it to a repair shop and send the bill to your cousin.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 6:32:12 AM

If my cousin pulled something like that he'd be picking himself and his teeth up off the floor.
m
l
!