98 to ME mouse probs

G

I just recently upgraded from 98 to ME. After a "successful" installation of ME, and i use that term vaguely, i noticed that i could not launch anything from the start menu, or for instance IE's quicklauch bar. If i used keyboard commands i could launch the progs fine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my mouse and mouse drivers but to no avail. I then was tinkering around in my mouse folder and moved one of the dlls to another folder. i then restared and the problem was fixed! however, now each time i restart my comp i get an error that says eventex.dll is missing, obviously. this is just a temporary solution for me, i was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Format your hard drive, do a clean install of WinMe, and re-install your old programs. You have to backup all your data first of course. This takes me about 3 hours.

If you are not willing to do that, then unistall (from add/remove programs) the mouse software and re-install a WinMe compatible version which is probably out by now.

Of course you should update all your drivers to WinMe compatible versions anyway but with a clean install, you don't have to worry about leftovers.

You can also run reg.edit from the RUN in the start menu and then do a search for the dll. Delete the file from the registry. This will only get rid of the error message however.

<i>Its not fun AFTER you have fragged everyone.</i> :cool: James