Sign in with
Your question

Cannot delete a file

Last response: in Windows 7
May 13, 2010 5:30:07 AM

Hello,
I'm trying to delete a file in my documents and it keeps saying could not find this item. Item not found. But its clearly in my documents. Any suggestions to delete this?

More about : delete file

May 13, 2010 1:55:52 PM

right click on the document and check the properties (size etc.). It could also be indexed but not actually physically there. Last time that happened to me I just booted up into Ubuntu and deleted it that way. if it's a tmp file, it could've been created using word or photoshop and now that the program has been closed it's been removed but the indexing service still left the file there.
m
l
May 13, 2010 8:50:06 PM

refresh the folder... it may already be deleted.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2010 9:38:21 PM

Try deleting it in safe mode. Select the file, hold the shift key, and press delete.
m
l
May 13, 2010 10:46:53 PM

Sometimes I got files that said "can't delete, you have no authorization" or something like that. I used FileAssassin by MalwareBytes and it was gone in no time.
m
l
May 14, 2010 7:28:09 AM

Yes, try refreshing the folder, this also happens to me using win7 and the files in the real player folder after i delete them
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2010 2:03:00 PM

You do not say if you can open the file. If you can it is there, if not it may be as stated and index error. You can turn off indexing and see if it goes away. Indexing is of some value if you do a lot of searching, if not you may get a bit better system performance with it turned off. File assassin is great.
m
l
!