PIII or PIII Tualatin

G

I'm building a new computer. I was wondering what processor you would recommend, the PIII or PIII Tualatin and why? Thanks for your help!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
get whatever suits your budget, I would recommend the Tualatin, but at least get a board that will support the Tualatin, alongwith a Coppermine. Tualatin can come later.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I recommend the PIII 700 overclocked to 933 as a temporary solution because it's an inexpensive performer. Mount it on an Asus TUSL2 motherboard because it supports Tualatins. Then, when the 512k server versions of the Tualatin are readily available in the U.S. at reasonable prices, you can get a nice 1.26GHz CPU to replace it.

Video killed my Radio Card!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Uh, yeh, I think I mentioned the 1.26 as an upgrade as avialability and prices merit the change. Right now the 1.26 w/512k cost around $400 if you can find someone to import it. Should be around $200 in about 3 months.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
do you reckon it will be generally available in the US? The only stuff I've seen so far on pricewact is as mobo bundled parts.

I wonder if Intel are going to try and restrict the release to server/pro workstations with dual cpu boards through mobo manufacturers. It seems strange that all the Tualatin mobos have been available so long, and yet no chip for it (outside of Japan).

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Desktop version with 256k is avialable on Pricewatch, you just have to look for it. It's not listed as a Tualatin on most sites selling it, just as a 1.13 and 1.2GHz. The 1.13 and 1.26 512k Sever version are now available stateside at <A HREF="http://8anet.com/merchant.ihtml?id=120&step=2" target="_new">http://8anet.com/merchant.ihtml?id=120&step=2</A>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
are the 1.13 and 1.26 actually .13 micron Tualatin core? I had thought they were .13 micron coppermine core.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For sure the 512k version is Tualatin, available from the link I showed you. As for the desktop 256k version, it seems as though these would also be tualatins, but are being advertised by some venders as Coppermines. I have serious reservations about that, since Tom actually tested a 256k Tualatin, and it would make sense that the .13 micron process would result in a lower core voltage, making separate lines for the Tualatin and .13 Coppermine an uneccessary expense. I now believe that venders who call the 256k version a Coppermine are seriously mistaken. Hopefully someone will clarify this.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
fcuk this sh!t im moving to japan... you can get away with anything while drunk... theres just out of date technology literraly being thrown away because no one wants it... you get all the hardware there a lot cheaper and earlier and well... lets not go inoto consoles... pays better too though i dont want to work their hours... buy a house on the sakhalin islands and fly into work on a helicopter... could be interesting...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i'd advise an amd but if you are going for intel the tualatin in the way to go... its nicely overclockable (to 1.4+ only limited by current motehrboards....) and can almost compete with the tbirds clock for clock... lets just hope amd doesnt cock up with the A4 as intel did with the P4...

if in doubt blame microsoft...