OEM vs. Boxed??

G

I'm considering purchasing the AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz processor. Obviously, price is an advantage to purchasing the OEM version. Are there any disadvantages to purchasing OEM vs. retail boxed?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
retail boxed processors get three year warranty while OEM parts have only 1. and boxed processors come with a heatsink/fan that you would most likely throw away and get a better one.

actually that HSF is quite enough for normal use, but you would get another if you plan to overclock.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
some OEM CPUs have only 15-20-30-60-90 day warranties.
Most I find that are cheaper have a 15 to 30 day warranty, I got one with only 30 day warranty, and now thats past and my CPU still works, its even overclocked from 1.4 to 1571 MHz (11 x 143 FSB)

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if its that cheap (have a redundant CPU for a small mount) I'd go for 15, even 5 day warranty parts. and I'd attemp it to overclock the first day.

we get memories with 7 day warranty in India.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Generally, if a processor is supposed to work, it'll work the first time, provided that you've installed it properly...

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
go for the oem if you plan to overclock as you wont neat the heatsink and fan... (ie you will get your own) you save money and well, if you overclock your warranty is void anyway so... oh well...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

G

As he said..^^^^^^^^^^^^^

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

G

mad bull..

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

G

dunno, but being in spain and chased by one, I never thought of it that way.lol