Thoughts on dual monitor setup 2xIPS or IPS/TN

1-anh

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
I would like some guidance as to which setup would be better. I currently have a samsung 2494HM TN panel LCD monitor, I have decided to rock dual monitors. I am considering either picking up 2 Dell U2311H monitors and dual monitoring those with the samsung in portrait mode for reading webpages and documents, or should i just get 1 Dell U2311H and just dual monitor it with my current Samsung 2494HM. Would an IPS/TN combo look terrible?

I also plan on using either one of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5560&seq=1&format=2 or 2 of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5402&seq=1&format=2.

For sound, I am considering either the logitech z-2300 (for their price and decent sound quality) the klipsch promedia 2.1 (for their good sound quality) or if I am able to pick up a larger desk such as the ikea jerker some bookshelf speakers and run them off zone 2 of my receiver.

Any thoughts people can contribute will be much appreciated.

Solution
I won't recommend any TN panel in portrait mode. TN panels are okay at best for horizontal viewing angle but absolutely garbage in terms of vertical viewing angle.

remaxguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I plan on getting one Dell U2311 for photo editing in Photoshop. I plan on using another cheapo smaller TN monitor to park my Photoshop tools on so they don't clutter up the image I'm editing on the Dell U2311. So, for my purposes, having one U2311 and another P.O.S., smaller, TN, monitor will work just fine.

It really depends on what your intended use is. If you plan to have two monitors, do they both need to be of the same quality?

Additionally, having one IPS monitor like the Dell U2311 and one TN monitor, gives you the best of two worlds, since the TN monitor styles are generally faster and better for gaming. I don't play games on my computer, but if you do, you might want to consider an IPS and a TN monitor, like I'm doing. You'll save money that way.

Where can a person get a U2311 for a low cost? The best I've found is $269 on ebay.

coldengrey

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010

I, too, am currently shopping prices on either Dell U2311H or U2410. I've read several other forum posts suggesting that if you CALL Dell sales they will wheel and Deal on prices! You may need to try several times before getting sales to cooperate- recommend calling during business hours, when a 'supervisor' is more likely there, as I tried the other day and sales told me I'd have to hold while they asked supervisor (Ended up having to hang up before got reply- bad timing with doorbell at house!)

How low to ask them to go? You should try BOTH Dell Small Business Store 877-220-3355
AND Dell Home/Home Office Store 877-340-1203... The other day U2311H was $269 @ Small Business and $319 (Full Price) @ Home store.
Checking historical Dell pricing/promo discounts over past year showed:
-U2311H (Full $319) Low price @ $239 shipped around Sept 24
-U2410 (Full $599) Low price @ $431 shipped around May and again June (October $449)

I'd request they match close to the historic low price- the worst that happens they say no... I'd see no problem getting them to agree to, at least the $269 U2311H was for 2/3 days just the other day @ Small Business.

* With Dell IPS panel lottery there is NO WAY I'd mess with any ebay or even third party over a few dollar savings!
Hope this helps you get your u2311h!
Jason

Adroid

Distinguished
Ok If you haven't already purchased this is what I did :

Sign up for Dell small business newsletter. They will send you a worthless 20% off coupon (which won't work for anything, and expired like a year ago). Then call and ask to speak with a manager. Ask them kindly to honor the coupon, and then ask for free shipping.

Mine came out to about 240$ delivered, and im in hawaii so the shipping helps ^^

I don't know if you caught the christmas sale, I heard the monitors were on sale then. If you are patient and cleaver you may be able to apply a 20% coupon to one of those monitors when its already on sale, but don't quote me on that.