Your question

confused

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2001 12:19:04 PM

Hello guys, (and girls?)

i'm not sure if i am in the right place but i am going to try anywayz.
I'm gonna buy myself a new computer, i think it should be an athlon, however.. since my expertise is not that big compared to u guys i would like to know from u what i should buy, i need my comp mostly for games and internet acces and the occasional paintshop thingies.
It should be fast..

This is what i had sofar :

athlon 1.44 cpu,
msi k7t pro raid mainboard
geforce2 ultra ( maybe 3 but it seems the difference is not that big)
2 hd 40 gig.
cooler ?? maybe iceberg or golden orb i really dont know :) 

this is it..
what i need to know is this :

do i have a great mainboard.. or is there even better (with raid)
or is it better to buy a raidcontroller instead?
wgat cooler should i use in order to succesfully overclock my athlon ( how high can it go?)
The system doesn't have to be cheap but not like really expensive :) 
I have no need for sczi, so the speed of that is irrelevant..i kinda hoped a raidcontroller would be fast enough.
Well i hope u can help me out coz i want to buy a gr8 system .. Thanks anyway..

Edward R. Murrow - Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation.

More about : confused

August 15, 2001 1:03:12 PM

Do not get any orb accept the dragon orb 3. Get any good sized copper heatsink and a delta 38cfm fan for it.

When I go into a computer store I lose all means of reason for some reason.
August 15, 2001 1:30:40 PM

If I were you, I would get a 1.33ghz tbird and put a noise control silverado heatsink on it.

And deffinatly get a geforce3. It is faster than a ultra AND has great graphical features which make games look great.(fsaa, anisotropic filtering etc)

Get the abit KG7 Raid, it is the best motherboard currently out.

Get 512 megs of corsair pc2400 cl2 ddr ram.

the reason for the 1.33 is because the noise control silverado cant handle much more than that, and it is whisper quiet, so you wont be annoyed by the buzzing of a delta.

Get a 350 or 431 watt enermax powersupply, and you should be set to go for at least a year and a half.

ps: be sure to get IBM 60gxp's (harddrives) they are some of the best currently available.

IF noise is not an issue and you want to overclock this mofo, get a swifttech(or a thermoengine) with a delta, and the 1.4tbird, it will hit 1.6 with little trouble.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2001 2:22:43 PM

Think about the GA-7DXR, its as fast as the Kg7, and offers a ton more features, such as an AGP Pro slot, a Creative sound chip, and 3 dimm slots.

Aklein

It's July. O the Joy of Summer!
August 15, 2001 2:51:08 PM

not even the dragon orb 3! it sucks i had it, it died 40 minutes later. hunk of junk i swear

Think first, if you have nothing worth more then a dollar don't say anything at all.
August 15, 2001 2:52:57 PM

also the GA-7DXR is on top in the same place with the KG7... but with 7DXR you get a lot more for your money!

Think first, if you have nothing worth more then a dollar don't say anything at all.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2001 2:55:25 PM

No the orb3 dont suck, it blows.heh

It has that much copper in it you will get ya money back from a scrap dealer!

btw my dragon rules..

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>
August 15, 2001 2:57:59 PM

if u got the money why not go GF3 it is faster btw.

for mobo look into the GA-7DXR.. the KG7 isn't really out yet.

for heatsink and fan get swifttech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's about 80 bucks and you gotta screw it in your mother board jsyk.. but they have a lower version that is pretty good and beats almost every other fan out there it is the 370 version.. i forget the actually model but it has 370 in it *shrugs* thats like ~50 bucks.

so ya have fun!

August 15, 2001 3:11:35 PM

lol! you know! Luckily and hopefully - i'll get my money back. At first i wanted a replacement and thne i'm thinking.. my global win FOP32 is doing a pretty good job .. so ya... dude just by getting a new motherboard the 7DXR from the abit KT7 it dropped my temp by 20 degrees celsius! went from 50 to 30, sometimes even as low as 26 at night! Duron 700mhz btw. and my athlon was about 51C so i'm thinking that should drop too.

oh when the fan died i think my cpu got burnt so i took that back and using my duron for the time being.
Think first, if you have nothing worth more then a dollar don't say anything at all. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 08/15/01 11:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 15, 2001 3:17:15 PM

Quote:
also the GA-7DXR is on top in the same place with the KG7... but with 7DXR you get a lot more for your money!

But Abit boards are way better than Gigabyte boards (overall). I have an Abit and I love it (except I was recently bitten by the Live/686b bug).
If you get the KG7, you can fix that bug with the Via 4-in-1's or SP2 (if you have W2k).

For a HSF, the Swiftech is good (but expensive). I have a Thermosonic ThermoEngine with the Delta fan, it rocks. Thermalright SK6 is good, Akasa Silver Mountain is good, Globalwin CAK38 is good, and the Dragon Orb 3 is good (Sk8er had a bad fan, not a bad heatsink).

So basically, except for the heatsink, I agree with Matisaro.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2001 3:24:01 PM

Man, go read my post on the Dragon orb 3 in heatsinks and coolers. I have double your duron at 1.4g and a very nice temp SAME as yours basically. I wont provide the link as ya need the research skills..

Oh and I also posted as well a relisation that all temp' sensors are not created equal...

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 08/16/01 01:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 15, 2001 3:29:50 PM

gigabyte is the top 5 motherboards makers in the WORLD! I liked my abit too but a decrease in temp by switching motherboards from 50 to 30 is pretty huge! I used the same heatsink&fan.

August 15, 2001 3:35:59 PM

omg talk about a post worth less then 50 cents. i don't read every post in the freakin forum. I don't care if your orb is the best thing in the world. respect someones opinion! i say it sucks, er blows lol.. other people agree with me too! so what is your problem!?

also research skills? dude i'm a college student! i have all the skills i need.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2001 3:50:28 PM

No more to be said, obviously yer the expert! and I dont pay for my posts.heh

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>
August 15, 2001 4:16:18 PM

wtf is that suppose to mean?

you people are so frea'kin weird i swear...

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2001 4:40:25 PM

Quote:
wtf is that suppose to mean?

Quote:
also research skills? dude i'm a college student! i have all the skills i need.

Whoa college student aye?
Got me there bro' way out of my expertise, sorry man yer right as I have been out of college for 12+ years so wtf would I know. As far as research goes why dont you tell everyone about suddenly discovering like wow, hey this board will do what its ment to do if only I read the motherboard handbook. It CAN even do what it says in the specs'..lol

Go figure scotty you idiot!
The END!

<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 08/16/01 02:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 15, 2001 4:56:38 PM

huh?

August 15, 2001 5:19:07 PM

Quote:
gigabyte is the top 5 motherboards makers in the WORLD!

I don't care how many Compaqs are sold with Gigabyte motherboards, if an Abit is more stalbe (and it is), I'll buy an Abit. And what features does the Gigabyte have that the KG7 doesn't? Onboard sound? I don't really need that, although I wouldn't complain too much.

August 15, 2001 5:50:01 PM

ya.. you also forgot...

12volt 4pin power connector. SO if your like me and into high graphics and later might want to buy a workstations graphics card this will come in handy. It should accept any video card i put in there.

dual bios comes in handy

Promise controllers i think are better then highpoint. thats my opinion though.

5 fan headers, 2 used so u have 3 system fan headers.

software is pretty nice. You get easy tune, which i find to be pretty cool.. it'll find the best overclock for you. @BIOS i haven't used yet. But you can upgrade your bios automaticly. Bad flash? so what you have a dual bios that will overwright the bad flashed bios. comes bundled with nortons personal firewall and anti virus. nice! .. comes with 3 (THREE) 80 wire IDE cables and a floppy cable! has tons of dip switches... which i find fun... i can overclock my fsb up to 250mhz! i just had it set at 133 and i can do 1mhz increments up to 250! at 150 it should reach 300 (600ddr) of course it'll never run stable lol but ya ...

has so many features i have no idea what half of them are... makes for good fun.. i'm not pokin fun at kg7... i was gonna get it. but *shrugs*... when i pay 170 bucks for a motherboard i start looking at features and bundles.

the onboard audio would be a nice backup so... it's a soundblaster 128 PCI so.. it isn't that bad.

when you get the kg7 let me know how it is for ya ...

August 15, 2001 6:35:32 PM

Quote:
ya.. you also forgot...

Nope, didn't forget, just don't know much about these boards.

Quote:
12volt 4pin power connector

Yeup, nice to have.

Quote:
dual bios comes in handy

A nice feature, one that Abit should start implementing.

Quote:
Promise controllers i think are better then highpoint. thats my opinion though.

I've personally used both with the exact same setup, and I can say that the speed is pretty much the same, and ease to setup is the same as well. HighPoint is cheaper, although when it's integrated they're basically the same again.

Quote:
5 fan headers, 2 used so u have 3 system fan headers.

KG7 has 4, most people don't use more than two or so.

Quote:
has tons of dip switches... which i find fun...

You're a dying breed. KG7 is totally jumperless/switchless, most people don't want to tear open their case.

The KG7 is $160 at Motherboards.com apparently. I'm not buying it, but I wish it was around when I bought my KT7a-RAID. Thanks for all the info, though.

August 15, 2001 11:53:11 PM

On board sound sucks, except for the nforce.
3 dimmslots? the kg7 has 4 DIMM SLOTS.
and agp pro is not important.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~
August 15, 2001 11:54:44 PM

Hey Hey now, I have a thermoengine myself, awesome hsf.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~
August 15, 2001 11:55:24 PM

LOL< all mobos have temprature probes in different places, thats why you had the decrease.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~
August 16, 2001 7:49:17 AM

Even if the thermistor is in the same place, they are all callibrated differently.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2001 7:56:26 AM

I'm not the most tech-savy guy in the world, but would I be correct in assuming that if you get a 20 degree drop in your new mobo...

-you are using a different hs or
-you are using a different temp mon or
-you didn't seat your hs properly on the first board?

This parachute is guaranteed for the life of the user...
August 16, 2001 2:13:21 PM

well u see.. i've been through about 5 bios updates with the kt7. At first with a coolermaster heatsink and fan ... it would never go over 40C and at idle it would run at about 32C. Now with the bios updates the temps kept rising and before the mobo switch it was idle at about 45 and would get as hot as 51. thats a huge change!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
August 16, 2001 2:19:18 PM

same heatsink

on the same board i had it use to be 30C - 40C tops and then with the most recent update changed to 45-51C. i had a kt7-raid mobo.

The heatsink was seated properly with artic silver 2 :) 

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
August 16, 2001 4:14:29 PM

Quote:
On board sound sucks, except for the nforce.
3 dimmslots? the kg7 has 4 DIMM SLOTS.
and agp pro is not important.

Onboard sound is good for backup, or for a secondary machine. The 3 DIMMs are for the KG7-Lite, I believe. AGP Pro is mostly for future compatability, that's the only reason to have it.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2001 12:06:19 PM

Heyz,

I would like to say thanks 4 the gr8 help.
I believe i am ready to order now :) 
And i truly believe it will be the fastest thing around :) 
Having a hard time finding some things though ( through my company that is)but what i seem to miss i'm going to buy in a store or thru the internet.
Anywayz, thanks 4 the help.

Greetz

Edward R. Murrow - Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation.
August 17, 2001 2:41:28 PM

I believe the onboard temp probe calibration is stored in the bios. Flashing said bios could result in a different temp reading. (ie the company realized their probe was off so corrected it, etc.). Trust me dude, the motherboard itself has NOTHING to do with how how the cpu runs.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~
August 17, 2001 3:37:20 PM

Oops, the KG7-Lite has 2 DIMM slots, not 3.

As a side note, it was the fastest of the 761 boards Tom tested. Nice to have speed and stability on the same board for a change. Best of both worlds.

Not that the speed of a motherboard makes a huge difference, but still :) 

!