What,s Wrong here?

G

Hey there.. I have a Amd 1.33 @266Mhz on a Ga-7dx Mboard with 256 Meg ddr ram, a Geforce2Gts 64 meg ddr video card.
when I am playing games it runs great for a while then maybe after 1/2 hour the game gets super choppy for about 4 seconds then everthing is fine for a little bit then it does it again. This only seems to happen on a couple of my games (progect IGI and Blades of Darkness to name a couple).

My Windows is a fresh install, all drivers are up to date and working, my hard drive is defragged, all temperatures are normal, my sisoft and 3dmark scores rock!.......so what gives.... it's like it's flushing it's memory..

This really chokes me as it usually happens at the worst times... Any Ideas???

Thanks Curt.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like heat. Most likely video card heat. Try installing one of those slot fans. You may also be having a problem with air flow in the case, the slot fan will help that as well.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

G

nope nope
I have a fan on cpu, one on vid card, one on chipset, and one for case vent.

thanks though this is not a heat related issue :)

ps Doesn't make a difference between 640x480@16bit or 1024x768@32bit

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zappuppy on 08/15/01 06:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

AGP driver I used the via AGP miniport driver
ver 4.71
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zappuppy on 08/15/01 06:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hmmm ok, the GA-7DX series boards use an AMD northbridge, which means you ought to use the AMD AGP miniport driver instead of the VIA AGP driver (everything else on the motherboard still uses the VIA driver). You can get that <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/bin/" target="_new">here</A>. While you're there, you might as well pick up the AMD+AGP+Win2K patch if running Win2K (it's first under "AMD Processor Files and Utilities").

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

I,m sorry Kelledin It is the amd miniport driver installed and I am running win98 second edit.

Thanks

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hmmm ok then...it could be AGP texture thrashing. FWIW, you could try bumping up your AGP aperture size in the BIOS (the amount of system RAM the AGP card is allowed to use). You might also try turning your texture quality down in these games and see what happens (like change from 32-bit textures to 16-bit textures, etc).

Kelledin

G

well I changed AGP aperature size down to 128(was 256) and it got choppy sooner....Graphics are as smooth as glass for a while then it chops for a few seconds then back to smooth graphics. Color depth or texture resolution seem to have no effect on problem...

Thanks

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like disk swapping taking place. watch your hard drive light to see if it blinks when the choppiness takes place.

If thats not it then its definitly the AMD processor and the suck ass quality they bring to your desktop.

You get what you pay for.

G

disk swapping?.. definately not just a simple video setting. everything is back to kickass figured it out.

ps fugger....AMD KICKS so whatever... talk to the hand

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
couple of thoughts for u to consider...
no background tasks running by any chance?
have you terminated your task scheduler?
done a ctrl+alt+del to see what apps are memory resident?

My hamster really wants to give you a big kiss, you sexy hunk you!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Heh I see you've met FUGGER. You want a good laugh, check out his thread about his 3DMark2K1 scores, just a little further down. You'll see him spout something totally unbelievable, then change his story once or twice once he realizes we're not dumb enough to fall for his BS. :lol:

Just out of curiosity, which video setting fixed your problem?

Kelledin

G

ya actually I did read his "interpretations" of the 3dmark scores ;)
kinda like the amiga 500 in my closet along with my vic 8
They both scored in the upper 5000's...heh heh
I have nothing against Intel..I bought one for my wife.....no way she's getting her hands on my AMD!!

Anyway I set the core clock on my Nvidia gts by 5 and go figure everything is well.
changed it back and it did the chop thing again.

So it looks like the card needed a slight overclocking..
shouldn't but then I was planning on getting a GeForce 3
I guess this is a good enough reason.
thanks Kelledin and I will be back with even more intriguing problems for you.........

Later
Curt

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i really worry about frugger.

possibly the most disturbing thing is that from time to time he actually posts a well thought out, reasoned, modestly unbiased, post... with relivant links too!
almost as if he's another person.
*shudder*

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Its weird you know FUGGER, the same thing happened to a friend's PC after half an hour, regardless of what game he was running and his is a P3!!!
So I guess its not AMDs fault now is it?

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

G

I'm an Intel to AMD convert as well. I use to use nothing, but Intel. Intel doens't give a [-peep-] about it's consumers. AMD at least gives you the option to overclock by FSB or by voiding your warranty to o/c by multiplier. AMD doesn't give us marketing handjobs and about 100% of the time it's the mobo chipset problem and no fault of the processor. Not to mention L1& L2 cache of 384kb and insane performance without the rediculous pricetag. All of the problems get sorted out once the user is educated on how to make them disappear via doing better mobo or RAM shopping or using correct BIOS/Registry settings. So to Fugger and all of the other AMD bashers go dry fist phuck yourselves....

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I had a similar problem and I got rid of it by upping my refresh rate to 85hz, too bad the dog now howls along with the whine of the monitor. You might play with your refresh rate.

Schmide

FatBurger

Illustrious
almost as if he's another person.

Yeah, this is something that's really strange. AmdMeltdown and bowser are at least trolls the entire time :)

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Totally unbelieveable! LMAO you are a true lemming.
changed my story? I said I could hit ~7500 in 3Dmark2001, whitch I can... suck it bitch.

Disk swapping is when memory is written to disk to make space in memory for new data. I take it you didnt know what disk swapping was since you put a question mark after it.

Solstice

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001
"Totally unbelieveable! LMAO you are a true lemming.
changed my story? I said I could hit ~7500 in 3Dmark2001, whitch I can... suck it bitch"

Dude do you even read your own posts. Thats not what you said to start. You said you did it with no GF3 overclock.

Stop trying some Jedi Mind trick. The grass is blue the sky is green? Doesn't mean were buying it

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
so you noticed it too...
hmmms. i thought it was just me after one too many cheap tequilas :)

swap meet comming up :)

im thinkin of swappin out some of my cheaper components,
namely the 300W psu & the winfop32-1.
i wanna copper HSF and a 400Watter :)
im sure i can get to 1400mhz
whats the best?

G

<<<I'm an Intel to AMD convert as well. I use to use nothing, but Intel. Intel doens't give a [-peep-] about it's consumers. AMD at least gives you the option to overclock by FSB or by voiding your warranty to o/c by multiplier.>>>

are you serious??? amd doesn't care about you. they let u change the multiplier cause they need somebody to buy their chips.

<<<AMD doesn't give us marketing handjobs and about 100% of the time it's the mobo chipset problem and no fault of the processor. Not to mention L1& L2 cache of 384kb and insane performance without the rediculous pricetag.>>>

they are to cheep for ads and they need marketshare thus low pricetag. and if they want stability they need to make there own reliable chipset.

<<<All of the problems get sorted out once the user is educated on how to make them disappear via doing better mobo or RAM shopping or using correct BIOS/Registry settings.>>>

so u need to be A+ certified to use amd???

<<<So to Fugger and all of the other AMD bashers go dry fist phuck yourselves....>>>

very intelligent post typic of a amd troll

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
are you serious??? amd doesn't care about you. they let u change the multiplier cause they need somebody to buy their chips.
Of course they don't care. They just happen to be doing a better job than Intel at the moment, so they get my respect.

if they want stability they need to make there own reliable chipset.
They do--just no motherboard manufacturers use all of it, except Tyan.

so u need to be A+ certified to use amd???
I'm not A+. In fact, I have almost no piece of paper to my name. I just know my sh|t and do my research.

very intelligent post typic of a amd troll
True, true, we could have done without the "dry fist phucking" bit. But it sure beats posting an unverified 3Dmark2K1 score and lying about how you got it.

Kelledin

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
You said you could hit 7500 while your cpu was at 1.8ghz with no gf3 overclock, which you CAN'T liar. AND you have YET to post your results to PROVE you in fact can even hit 6000, let alone 7500, so shove it.

Troll

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~