What is a "pcie" x1 slot used for on an XPS G3?

Have a XPS gen3 that has a pcie x1 slot. Any ideas on what can be
plugged in to it? If it can be used with a modem which one?
4 answers Last reply
More about what pcie slot

    Ron Glass <areandsNOSPAM@SPAMNOyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Have a XPS gen3 that has a pcie x1 slot. Any ideas on what can be
    >plugged in to it? If it can be used with a modem which one?

    A google on PCI express will get you detailed answers.
    Basically, it's a latest and greatest type thing. Backward
    compatible, so you can use existing PCI cards.
    --
    OJ III

    "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:l8r3k09jp7pdrllnllqv06rrhetn74ol89@4ax.com...
    > Ron Glass <areandsNOSPAM@SPAMNOyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Have a XPS gen3 that has a pcie x1 slot. Any ideas on what can be
    >>plugged in to it? If it can be used with a modem which one?

    Any PCI-Express x1 card. Not sure if there are any modem
    cards available yet.

    > A google on PCI express will get you detailed answers.
    > Basically, it's a latest and greatest type thing. Backward
    > compatible, so you can use existing PCI cards.

    Based on what I've read, PCI Express is not electrical or physically
    compatible with PCI or PCI-X. I believe the connector lengths and
    slotting should prevent intermixing. Some info here:

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/vectors/en/2004_pciexpress?c=us&l=en&s=corp

    Typically things that use PCI slots are things such as Slower Modems,
    Video Cards, Sound cards etc... anything that says it take's a pci
    slot...

    Basically PCIE x! is a serial slot ie 2 wires the thinking is that you can
    have as many pairs of wires as you want so in effect you could have a 128
    meg graphics card in a PCIE x16 which would give you in effect 16x128 meg I
    think????
    "Ron Glass" <areandsNOSPAM@SPAMNOyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Have a XPS gen3 that has a pcie x1 slot. Any ideas on what can be
    > plugged in to it? If it can be used with a modem which one?

Dell XPS Modem Computers