What is a "pcie" x1 slot used for on an XPS G3?

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 10, 2004 2:54:38 PM

Have a XPS gen3 that has a pcie x1 slot. Any ideas on what can be
plugged in to it? If it can be used with a modem which one?

More about : pcie slot xps

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 6:08:38 PM

Ron Glass <areandsNOSPAM@SPAMNOyahoo.com> wrote:

>Have a XPS gen3 that has a pcie x1 slot. Any ideas on what can be
>plugged in to it? If it can be used with a modem which one?

A google on PCI express will get you detailed answers.
Basically, it's a latest and greatest type thing. Backward
compatible, so you can use existing PCI cards.
--
OJ III
September 10, 2004 11:02:58 PM

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:l8r3k09jp7pdrllnllqv06rrhetn74ol89@4ax.com...
> Ron Glass <areandsNOSPAM@SPAMNOyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Have a XPS gen3 that has a pcie x1 slot. Any ideas on what can be
>>plugged in to it? If it can be used with a modem which one?

Any PCI-Express x1 card. Not sure if there are any modem
cards available yet.

> A google on PCI express will get you detailed answers.
> Basically, it's a latest and greatest type thing. Backward
> compatible, so you can use existing PCI cards.

Based on what I've read, PCI Express is not electrical or physically
compatible with PCI or PCI-X. I believe the connector lengths and
slotting should prevent intermixing. Some info here:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/vect...
September 10, 2004 11:47:23 PM

Typically things that use PCI slots are things such as Slower Modems,
Video Cards, Sound cards etc... anything that says it take's a pci
slot...

September 12, 2004 2:14:30 AM

Basically PCIE x! is a serial slot ie 2 wires the thinking is that you can
have as many pairs of wires as you want so in effect you could have a 128
meg graphics card in a PCIE x16 which would give you in effect 16x128 meg I
think????
news:p uf3k058ohu3prsreifsi201uditebhfcv@4ax.com...
!