underclocking

G

On monday im going to replace my old Athlon 550 with a new mobo (GA-7DXR)and a 1330 or 1400 tbird.

But since i live in a 1 room apartment i plan to buy the Silverado cooler since trying to sleep with a computer in the room that sounds like an old refrigirator is not a pleasent experience.

My question is, since the price diference between the 1330 and the 1400 is very small as of now, is it possible to buy the 1400 and get the same heat levels at the 1330 by underclocking it?

Is it at all possible to underclock a cpu? (im not well versed in changing clock frequencies, yet ;))

Its my understanding that the silverado is only ratet to the 1330 mhz and using it on a 1400 would be dangerous. But I would like to have the option of changing the Cooler at a later date and the run at the ratet 1400 mhz.

Try your silverado heatsink with the 1.4 and if possible, some arctic silver 2 thermal paste. If your cpu temp runs at 56 celcius or less under full load, you'll be fine. You can try lowering your fsb to less than 133 if your bios permits it, or you can lower the multiplier from 10.5 (the default setting) to 10, but I doubt you will see much change in the cpu temp.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the main thing to lower tempatures is to lower the voltage that is what really raises the temps of the chips

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

Uh thanks both, yah looked around a bit and read some faqs on overclocking.

Did have the idea that Frequency = temp, but I can see I wasn't really thinking.

Well im going to risk it anyway.

Damn AMD for lowering its prices and putting me in this dilema :wink:

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Both frequency and voltage make heat, if you lower the speed and the voltage you can use smaller fan = less noise.
But you have to check the temp ! Some people use smaller p/s with no fan or quiet fan, it could work with underclocked cpu

-Beer! Good!
-James Hetfield

G

Why does everyone say the Silverado is only rated for 1.2 or 1.33 ??? Its NOT ! Its rated for 1.5+ in fact.

The silverado comes with three cables. A 6v, 8V and 10v resistor cable. At 6v you wouldnt want to cool a 1.4 Athlon, but when you DO NOT use these cables, that is, supply the beast with the full 12v its supposed to be more than capable to cool any current (and even future)Athlon.

I cant really confirm this, since I only have a lowly Duron 600@933..1.75v but even with 6v it only gets 47° max. With 12v it doesnt get warmer than 33° C, and its still very quiet. A highly recommended HSF !! (carefull, its not too easy to install, and requires a lot of space.. and damn, its heavy too !!)

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if its too hot... lower the voltage until the system becomes unstable... if it is still too hot at that point start underclocking...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

G

bbaeyens you're absolutly right. Just looked over the specs and its rated for 1500+.

I just seemed to remember someone posting about it only being rated to 1330.

Just goes to show that you should do your research (even if its in german) before posting silly questions.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hmm...I'm not sure. Maybe because a Tbird has twice the performance for half the price?

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>