The woodcock are coming!

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Just thought you guys further south might like to know.

I have seen a few woodcock about for the first time today.

East coast, Easter Ross, 35 miles north of Inverness. I pointed
them down the A9!

All we want now is a good hard frost with perhaps a bit of snow
on the hills.

Derry

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Derry Argue <derry(delete)@adviegundogs.co.uk> wrote in

> Just thought you guys further south might like to know.
>
> I have seen a few woodcock about for the first time today.
>
> East coast, Easter Ross, 35 miles north of Inverness. I pointed
> them down the A9!
>
> All we want now is a good hard frost with perhaps a bit of snow
> on the hills.
>
> Derry

Everything seems to be messed up this year.
The deer are very sparse, the foxes seem to be down in numbers, rabbits
with myxi everywhere and my apple tree still has an apple or two left on
it!
Plenty of ducks but I haven’t seen any woodcock down here yet.

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

>Subject: Re: The woodcock are coming!
>From: John zero_one34@hotmail.com
>Date: 17/11/2004 07:13 GMT

>Plenty of ducks but I haven't seen any woodcock down here yet.

No 'cock here yet but I did have to mow the grass again yesterday.

Steve. Suffolk.
remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

>No 'cock here yet but I did have to mow the grass again yesterday.

Steve - we've been seeing them on shoot days for the last two weeks in the Long
Melford area and around the Brettenham area.... infact on the shoot where I
beat they've shot a couple too.

Matt

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Derry we shot 9 brace on our shoot in Doncaster a fort night since looking
forward to this week end

"ash.bat" <ash.bat@virgin.net> wrote in

> Derry we shot 9 brace on our shoot in Doncaster a fort
> night since looking forward to this week end

Damn! How did they slip through??? I thought I had it all
covered<G>.

Derry

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

In article <Xns95A44978BB7E8OEcopyremovedheaders@130.133.1.4>, John
<zero_one34@hotmail.com> writes
>Derry Argue <derry(delete)@adviegundogs.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> Just thought you guys further south might like to know.
>>
>> I have seen a few woodcock about for the first time today.
>>
>> East coast, Easter Ross, 35 miles north of Inverness. I pointed
>> them down the A9!
>>
>> All we want now is a good hard frost with perhaps a bit of snow
>> on the hills.
>>
>> Derry
>
>Everything seems to be messed up this year.
>The deer are very sparse, the foxes seem to be down in numbers, rabbits
>with myxi everywhere and my apple tree still has an apple or two left on
>it!
>Plenty of ducks but I haven't seen any woodcock down here yet.
>
>John
We are the other way. Deer coming out of our ears! Loads of foxes, and
in places we don't normally see them. they are not going for the rabbits
so we are overrun with bunnies! Except where, I think, someone went
round with the poison or maybe myxi, but the fields are next to each
other. Any ideas? No woodcock yet but maybe the hard weather forecast
over the weekend will bring them down here.
--
Larry Armitstead

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

In article <20041117121939.12394.00000845@mb-m28.aol.com>, AN6530
<an6530@aol.comknujon> writes
>>Subject: Re: The woodcock are coming!
>>From: John zero_one34@hotmail.com
>>Date: 17/11/2004 07:13 GMT
>
>>Plenty of ducks but I haven't seen any woodcock down here yet.
>
>No 'cock here yet but I did have to mow the grass again yesterday.
>
>Steve. Suffolk.
>remove 'knujon' to e-mail

I had to cut the grass a couple of days ago, the dogs were complaining
that they could not go to the loo.

Our resident population are still in place, big buggers too. The
migration does not seem to have reached Hampshire yet.

We don't normally shoot them until after Christmas.

BR
Don C

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

bad news mate we got another 14 brace today
> "ash.bat" <ash.bat@virgin.net> wrote in
>
> > Derry we shot 9 brace on our shoot in Doncaster a fort
> > night since looking forward to this week end
>
> Damn! How did they slip through??? I thought I had it all
> covered<G>.
>
> Derry

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Same round ere, Deer, Rabbits & Fox are overrunning the place,
we are also having a bumper year of Collared Doves, Magpies, Rooks & Crows.
Rats don't seem to be fairing well this year though

--
Andy (UK_Rabbiter)
Halifax, West Yorkshire

> We are the other way. Deer coming out of our ears! Loads of foxes, and in
> places we don't normally see them. they are not going for the rabbits so
> we are overrun with bunnies! Except where, I think, someone went round
> with the poison or maybe myxi, but the fields are next to each other. Any
> ideas? No woodcock yet but maybe the hard weather forecast over the
> weekend will bring them down here.
> --
> Larry Armitstead

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Anyone else had snow yet?
We got a good inch on Thursday, and Holmfirth, Huddersfield got a foot of
the lovely stuff

> bad news mate we got another 14 brace today

Oi! Wotch it!

Saw quite a few woodcock today. Hard frost last night and
another tonight (Saturday) with a clear cloudless sky. Perfect
weather to bring 'em in!

Derry

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Andy \(UK_Rabbiter\)" <andy@ukrabbiter.co.uk> wrote in

> Anyone else had snow yet?
> We got a good inch on Thursday, and Holmfirth, Huddersfield got a
> foot of the lovely stuff
>
> "maybe the hard weather forecast over the weekend will bring them
> down here."

Nothing over this way yet.
I’ll pop out later if I can and see if I can spot any woodcock. Last year
we had snipe!

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

John <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Last year
> we had snipe!

Oh we've had them. I suspect some are still here. But they, too,
will be headed south.

It's gone soft here now, if you can call sleet "going soft". The
dogs have not even stuck their noses out of the kennels. Usually
they are keen for a morning run. Bloody miserable.

Derry

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> John <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Last year
>> we had snipe!
>>

> Oh we've had them. I suspect some are still here. But they, too,
> will be headed south.
>
> It's gone soft here now, if you can call sleet "going soft". The
> dogs have not even stuck their noses out of the kennels. Usually
> they are keen for a morning run. Bloody miserable.

Rain rain and more rain here, oh and mud :(

The other morning was strange, 6:30am it was 6 deg’s and raining. 7:10am
it was 2 deg’s and still raining!

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Come Derry and John,

stop it. you lucky buggers (no offence) how about sharing some of that
shooting.

I long for some decent shooting where I can fire more that 1 or 2 shots for
god know how many hours or wandering.

how about it chaps ??

Pan.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

pan4dem@aol.com (PAN4DEM) wrote in

> Come Derry and John,
>
> stop it. you lucky buggers (no offence) how about sharing
some of
> that
> shooting.
>
> I long for some decent shooting where I can fire more that
1 or 2
> shots for
> god know how many hours or wandering.
>
> how about it chaps ??
>
> Pan.

You’re looking in the wrong places. Your area is teaming with
game; I have been personally longing to break in to your area.
Trust me you have the best pigeon shooting, rabbit shooting
and ferreting on the west side.
I haven’t forgotten about Rudry BTW.

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

pan4dem@aol.com (PAN4DEM) wrote in

> Come Derry and John,
>
> stop it. you lucky buggers (no offence) how about sharing
> some of that
> shooting.
>
> I long for some decent shooting where I can fire more that
> 1 or 2 shots for
> god know how many hours or wandering.
>
> how about it chaps ??
>
> Pan.

I'll let you into a little secret -- but don't tell anyone
else on this list or I will be tarred and feathered. I no longer
shoot.

Having run a sporting agency for over 15 years when I often had
to be a greedy shot just to make sure there was something in the
bag at the end of the day, I no longer get any pleasure from it.

My sport these days is trying to catch game with a male goshawk,
flown over a couple of pointers and a spaniel! We don't catch
much but it can be very exciting and it is fun when we do!

I have no objection to others shooting, take delight in seeing
youngsters (especially) enjoy their shooting, and I particularly
love the dog work. If you put in the work, you will get your
sport.

Derry

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> If you put in the work, you will get your
> sport.

And that is the true secret of success.

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

>I'll let you into a little secret -- but don't tell anyone
>else on this list or I will be tarred and feathered. I no longer
>shoot.

<cough> <splutter> <WTF!> <cough>

<G> ;-)

Matt

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

flintwooduk@aol.com (FLINTWOODUK) wrote in

> <cough> <splutter> <WTF!> <cough>
>
> <G> ;-)
>

> Matt

When sorting feathers, always best to use a face mask!<vbg> And
don't forget the rubber gloves for the tar!

Derry

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

>Subject: Re: The woodcock are coming!
>From: Derry Argue derry(delete)@adviegundogs.co.uk
>Date: 23/11/2004 17:53 GMT

>And
>don't forget the rubber gloves for the tar!

Hmmmmm - kinky ;-)

Steve. Suffolk.
remove 'knujon' to e-mail