G

Im new at building my own pc, and I am going to purchase a Epox EP-8K7A+ with a Athlon 1.4 266. I will prolly pick up a HSF from www.3dcool.com and some Artic Silver II. Now..where do I put the Artic Silver II on the cpu and how much do I put on ?? I was going to buy the thermal pads, but someone said they suck. Thanks

Jay

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Put a small amount on the die itself and spread it. Spread it about one-quater to half as thick as a credit card. You will no doubt hear people claiming you should use much less, that's garbage talk. You need enough to fill the surface rougness of the spot on the heatsink that contacts it, using too little can result in spots that do not make contact. And it's viscosity is low enough that any excess will squeeze out.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

G

is it ok to use "too much" ?? like..lets say by accident I put too much..and it seeps out..is that ok ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It is made electrically non-conductive (except under extreme pressure) through chemical combination with it's other ingredients, so it shouldn't hurt, but the stuff is messy, so I try to keep seepage to a minimum. I use the tip of the syring to spread it.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Crashman is right, but theres a better way to do it, making sure you fill every crack while having the absolute minimum AS on the die.

put a good size dot on the heatsink(where the die will contact) and use a credit card or razor blade to kind of smush it around.(like drywall mud kind of), slide the razor over the AS making it flatten into the heatsink, do this for a while and then scrape off most of the excess.

Then take some of this excess and put it on the core, use the razorblade to flatten it out and scrape off almost ALL of it. Then put on your heatsink and ta daaa. You have filled up all the micro cracks in the hsf with AS and have a very thin layer of it on the die.

Does that make sense, I found it difficult to describe what to do to the heatsink bottom with the AS.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
BAM!

<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm</A>

Jeff