Sign in with
Your question

Corrupted Drivers Maybe?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 29, 2013 3:06:07 AM

My Seagate GoFlex 2 TB USB 3 drive has suddenly stopped working. When it happened, I was having many issues with Windows (for about 10 minutes and 3 reboots). It seems to have calmed down now but I am still having problems with USB devices. When I plug the external HD into the top USB ports (next to the wireless dongle for keybd/mouse), the keyboard stops working. In the system error logs I am getting this critical error:
The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device Root\SIDESHOW\0000.

I am also noticing that I have an unknown device in my device manager. I am also having a message come up when I start the computer saying that Windows cannot connect to the Group Policy Controller. It says that it is timing out. Any ideas? Are these problems related?

Many Thanks!

Computer Specs:
Asus P8 Z77-V LX Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz Quad core CPU
Kingston DDR3 Hyper X Genesis - 16GB Kit* (4x4GB) - DDR3 1600MHz CL9 DIMM
OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD
EVGA GeForce 550-TI 2GB DDR3
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2 TB USB 3.0 Drive

More about : corrupted drivers

a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 3:12:01 AM

Do the following:
1. Go into Device Manager (however it is you get there)
2. Expand Universal Serial Bus Adapters category
3. Right click each of the USB Root Hubs (one at a time mind you)
4. After right clicking, choose uninstall. The computer will think for a minute and it may prompt you to reboot. DO NOT reboot until you've removed all of them.
5. Once you have all of them removed, reboot the computer.
6. After the reboot, Windows should rebuild all the USB Root Hub drivers so it may take a minute. It is also best that nothing is plugged into those ports for the time being.

Once the process is finished, go ahead and try your device again.
m
l
January 29, 2013 3:37:43 AM

Unfortunately that did not solve any of the issues I was having. Thanks for the try!
m
l
!