john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Well chaps, they have finally pushed a fox hunting ban through and in my
opinion they haven’t bothered to think of the consequences, nor have
they bothered to find alternatives.
Does this surprise me? Not really because these log heads don’t really
care about the countryside or its opinions.
I personally believe as games shooters, anglers, stalkers, rough
shooters, gamekeepers and all the rest of the activities we do, we now
face an up hill struggle.
The defence that these uneducated politicians use is that the majority
of people want hunting banned, so it’s banned. Based on this, the link
below sets a very poor future for us all.

Is this a precedent for the future of the countryside?

http://www.mori.com/polls/1999/ms990715.shtml

:(

John

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

>Subject: Fox hunting ban
>From: John zero_one34@hotmail.com
>Date: 20/11/2004 09:28 GMT

>Well chaps, they have finally pushed a fox hunting ban through and in my
>opinion they haven't bothered to think of the consequences, nor have
>they bothered to find alternatives.<snip>

Absolutely John. I suppose it was inevitable but I foresee an interesting few
months ahead nonetheless.

I have just read the following statement by Lawrie payne, the League Against
Cruel Sports Eastern Region Representative published as part of an article on
the ban in yesterdays edition of the East Anglian Daily Times:
"We are very pleased that this is going to come onto the statute books as soon
as possible.
For LACS, this has been an 80-year battle and to see the efforts come to
fruition at long last, it is great news.
Of course it is a concern that hunts may defy the law but the law is there to
be policed and for people that break it to be brought to justice."

Ok no suprises there. No suprises in the following either - but just in case
any one who shoots doubted the fact that we are next in line should read the
following:

"But there are other cruelties that go in in the countryside involving animals.
Our main focus would now be on shooting of birds for sport but there are other
issues such as snaring and trapping which need to be addressed."

Steve. Suffolk.
remove 'knujon' to e-mail

an6530@aol.comknujon (AN6530) wrote in

> Ok no suprises there. No suprises in the following either - but just
> in case any one who shoots doubted the fact that we are next in line
> should read the following:

> Steve. Suffolk.
> remove 'knujon' to e-mail

They will soon be at our doors and as you say if anyone has any doubts
then they are in for a shock. “Breeding live birds for targets” is now
on the agenda!

John

On 20 Nov 2004 10:36:41 GMT, an6530@aol.comknujon (AN6530) wrote:

>>Subject: Fox hunting ban
>>From: John zero_one34@hotmail.com
>>Date: 20/11/2004 09:28 GMT
>
>>Well chaps, they have finally pushed a fox hunting ban through and in my
>>opinion they haven’t bothered to think of the consequences, nor have
>>they bothered to find alternatives.<snip>
>
>Absolutely John. I suppose it was inevitable but I foresee an interesting few
>months ahead nonetheless.
>
>I have just read the following statement by Lawrie payne, the League Against
>Cruel Sports Eastern Region Representative published as part of an article on
>the ban in yesterdays edition of the East Anglian Daily Times:
>"We are very pleased that this is going to come onto the statute books as soon
>as possible.
>For LACS, this has been an 80-year battle and to see the efforts come to
>fruition at long last, it is great news.
>Of course it is a concern that hunts may defy the law but the law is there to
>be policed and for people that break it to be brought to justice."
>
>Ok no suprises there. No suprises in the following either - but just in case
>any one who shoots doubted the fact that we are next in line should read the
>following:
>
>"But there are other cruelties that go in in the countryside involving animals.
>Our main focus would now be on shooting of birds for sport but there are other
>issues such as snaring and trapping which need to be addressed."
>

>Steve. Suffolk.
>remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Is this the stupid bastard who said that the UK should really have
only 10 million people to make sure we don't over-exploit nature.

The good news is that he has had a vasectomy to ensure he does not
have children. let's hope he is the end of his line then......

J.

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

>Subject: Re: Fox hunting ban
>From: John zero_one34@hotmail.com
>Date: 20/11/2004 20:11 GMT

>They will soon be at our doors and as you say if anyone has any doubts
>then they are in for a shock. "Breeding live birds for targets� is now
>on the agenda!

As sure as night follows day.

A friend just sent me this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/environment/programmes/countryfile/#1

Steve. Suffolk.
remove 'knujon' to e-mail

JB

"AN6530" <an6530@aol.comknujon> wrote in message
> >Subject: Fox hunting ban
> >From: John zero_one34@hotmail.com
> >Date: 20/11/2004 09:28 GMT
>
> >Well chaps, they have finally pushed a fox hunting ban through and in my
> >opinion they haven't bothered to think of the consequences, nor have
> >they bothered to find alternatives.<snip>

Germany has had the ban since 1960 and they still have hunts.
One rider go's off with a scented bundle in tow and the pack chase after it.
It's a very well like past time and is considered a sport.
Any one think it's an alternative ?
John.

"JB" <ability.uk@virgin.net> wrote in

> "AN6530" <an6530@aol.comknujon> wrote in message
>> >Subject: Fox hunting ban
>> >From: John zero_one34@hotmail.com
>> >Date: 20/11/2004 09:28 GMT
>>
>> >Well chaps, they have finally pushed a fox hunting ban through and
>> >in my opinion they haven't bothered to think of the consequences,
>> >nor have they bothered to find alternatives.<snip>
>
> Germany has had the ban since 1960 and they still have hunts.
> One rider go's off with a scented bundle in tow and the pack chase
> after it. It's a very well like past time and is considered a sport.
> Any one think it's an alternative ?
> John.

Would you consider shooting clays as an acceptable alternative to
pheasant or rabbit shooting? Target shooting as an alternative to
stalking?

John

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:34:01 +0000, JH <jacques@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
>snippety snip<

>Is this the stupid bastard who said that the UK should really have
>only 10 million people to make sure we don't over-exploit nature.

Ah, the naivety of it.

>The good news is that he has had a vasectomy to ensure he does not
>have children. let's hope he is the end of his line then......

Perhaps we should also fire blanks out in the field?
From Pete

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Being eaten by a crocodile is just like falling asleep in a blender"
Bart Simpson

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:01:03 +0000, Pete <pete.ansbro@virgin.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:34:01 +0000, JH <jacques@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
> >snippety snip<
>
>>Is this the stupid bastard who said that the UK should really have
>>only 10 million people to make sure we don't over-exploit nature.
>>
>Ah, the naivety of it.
>
>>The good news is that he has had a vasectomy to ensure he does not
>>have children. let's hope he is the end of his line then......
>

>Perhaps we should also fire blanks out in the field?
>From Pete

:) No : full loads, especially if he is running about.

J.

Mephisto <mephisto@no.spam.thanks> wrote in

> I think you'll find that politicians are relatively highly
educated!

EDUCATED in what respect?

Peter Bradley MP, openly admits that the ban was a “class”
struggle. (one over on the "Toff's" so to speak).

John

"John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message .

> Would you consider shooting clays as an acceptable alternative to
> pheasant or rabbit shooting? Target shooting as an alternative to
> stalking?
>
> John

I find this an interesting question that you put.

What _is_ the difference between the dead target and the live animal?

I have a gut understanding, but not a logical understanding. I admit to
confusion here. Logically, I can only see that feildcraft skills are missing
at a target, but then maybe on could photo the real deer and then shoot the
tin deer.

(This being if you are not shooting for food, which often with driven
pheasants is the case, for we know at some shoots, not a single beastie is
taken home by the punter.)

Can you tell me? The CA, as they would not countenance drag hunting, never
really addressed this interesting issue, as they felt necessary to deem the
fox 'vermin' so it needed to be killed.

Theo H

(And no jokes about roast clay pigeon, please.)

> Mephisto <mephisto@no.spam.thanks> wrote in
>
> > I think you'll find that politicians are relatively highly
> educated!
>
> EDUCATED in what respect?
>
> Peter Bradley MP, openly admits that the ban was a "class"
> struggle. (one over on the "Toff's" so to speak).
>
> John

Hi Folks, Theo the Anti here.

Keep this thread cool!

As a reader of a number of animal rights newsgroups, I can report that
Mephisto
is almost the first 'anti' poster who has not gone off on the "bloodthirsty
toffs" etc, etc rant route. ....and rants are booring and not worth a
pixel.

Well, I don't go the bloodthisty murdering toffs route, either, so thats two
of us?

There is perhaps a chance for a decent discussion here?

Theo H

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Theo Hopkins" <theo@theohopkins.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in

> There is perhaps a chance for a decent discussion here?

As someone who ran a sporting agency for North Sea oil personnel
for 15 years, I have to agree some of your points. I don't shoot
much any more and certainly don't feel the passion I did in my
youth.

But isn't it also true that the antis would be out of a job if
they didn't quickly find another cause to run with?

Although I can agree some of your points, I do not see the logic
in your line of argument.

It is a known fact that over 90% of small birds will die over
winter and that this is normal and natural "wastage". Would you
argue that it would be better if this mortality were reduced
and, because there would then be a surplus population,
reproduction should be reduced, so we will have fewer small
birds during the summer?

What I am saying is that Nature accepts death as a normal part
of the cycle and it is only us humans who place a sentimental
value on it.

It seems to me that a pheasant lays, say, 15 eggs because Nature
expects this greater mortality.

What you seem to be saying is that it is better never to have
existed at all than to live and have to die. It matters not a
jot to a pheasant whether it dies from a shotgun blast or in the
jaws of a fox. It is just as dead. But apparently you would
prefer it had never lived in the first place?

If we followed your logic, it would be a much duller world.
Death is normal. Decomposition is normal. And so is the new
grass in the spring which grows where last year's bird or animal
died. What the heck has the shooter's pleasure (or not in my
case) got to do with the equation?

Derry

"Derry Argue" <derry(delete)@adviegundogs.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Theo Hopkins" <theo@theohopkins.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > There is perhaps a chance for a decent discussion here?
>
> As someone who ran a sporting agency for North Sea oil personnel
> for 15 years, I have to agree some of your points. I don't shoot
> much any more and certainly don't feel the passion I did in my
> youth.
>
> But isn't it also true that the antis would be out of a job if
> they didn't quickly find another cause to run with?

This is true, but only to a certain extent. However, this anti breeding of
pheasants campaign has been in LACS background for at least five years, well
before hunting victory (?) was on the horizon. I know this, as as a woodland
ownwer, I met a LACS bloke at a woodland meeting, as LACS also own woodland
which are part of there deer refuge. The campaign has been kept in the
background for clealy tactical reasons.

> Although I can agree some of your points, I do not see the logic
> in your line of argument.
>
> It is a known fact that over 90% of small birds will die over
> winter and that this is normal and natural "wastage". Would you
> argue that it would be better if this mortality were reduced
> and, because there would then be a surplus population,
> reproduction should be reduced, so we will have fewer small
> birds during the summer?
>
> What I am saying is that Nature accepts death as a normal part
> of the cycle and it is only us humans who place a sentimental
> value on it.

I don't agree with you here. Or rather the word "sentimental". I think you
should look up some of the philosophy of AR - and remember, many
philosophers, starting with of all people, Pythagoras, have considered AR
type issues. There are what I am happy to call 'bunny hugging' AR people,
and there are also much tougher people who have no sentimentality towards
animals and may not even like them. personally, and this is _personally_ I
reject the idea of wantonly destroying life. Please note, when I say life, I
don't say animals life. I worry about killing slugs, as do quite a lot of
people. Personally I dislike the 'bunny huggers, and so do, I think, many of
those who are high up in _some_ AR groups, but if you see my reply above
about 'jobs for the boys', are happy to have the bunny-hugging money coming
in to fund the organisation.

> It seems to me that a pheasant lays, say, 15 eggs because Nature
> expects this greater mortality.
>
> What you seem to be saying is that it is better never to have
> existed at all than to live and have to die. It matters not a
> jot to a pheasant whether it dies from a shotgun blast or in the
> jaws of a fox. It is just as dead. But apparently you would
> prefer it had never lived in the first place?

This is a question. I am sure concerns AR people. It's an interetingly
philosophically one, and I don't know the answer.

> If we followed your logic, it would be a much duller world.
> Death is normal. Decomposition is normal. And so is the new
> grass in the spring which grows where last year's bird or animal
> died. What the heck has the shooter's pleasure (or not in my
> case) got to do with the equation?

Pleasure is, _in my mind_ nothing to do with it. I hate the "bloodthirsty
toffs taking pleasure in killing" line of so mamy (but _NOT ALL_)
anti-hunting people.

For me the question is around "We, i.e. humans, can make conscious choices
about killing (or destroying the life of) any other animal - we are not cats
with mice . How do we exercise that choice?"

> "John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message .
>>
>> Would you consider shooting clays as an acceptable alternative to
>> pheasant or rabbit shooting? Target shooting as an alternative to
>> stalking?
>>
>> John
>
> I find this an interesting question that you put.
>
> What _is_ the difference between the dead target and the live animal?
>
> I have a gut understanding, but not a logical understanding. I admit
> to confusion here. Logically, I can only see that feildcraft skills
> are missing at a target, but then maybe on could photo the real deer
> and then shoot the tin deer.
>
> (This being if you are not shooting for food, which often with driven
> pheasants is the case, for we know at some shoots, not a single
> beastie is taken home by the punter.)
>
> Can you tell me? The CA, as they would not countenance drag hunting,
> never really addressed this interesting issue, as they felt necessary
> to deem the fox 'vermin' so it needed to be killed.

I’ll do my best Theo but alas, I don’t think you’ll ever fully understand.
Okay, hunting, shooting or even trapping isn’t just about killing.
It’s about understanding your quarry, your environment and in many ways
yourself.

I’ll use the term hunting to identify all field sport disciplines.
Hunting is not unlike yoga or mediation. Everyone hunts for a different
reason and everyone has to justify their actions to their own morals.

As I say, it’s not about killing; killing is an end product of a hive of
activities, skills and knowledge. To have any real success your must first
understand your quarry in order to exploit your quarries weaknesses, after
all even the smallest mouse has better senses than us ham handed humans.
By the time one has become proficient and by the time one has learned to
hunt a given quarry, one can not help but to admire and respect the
quarry. One must learn every aspect of the quarry, its habits, it life
cycles, its likes and dislikes and its weaknesses. I ask you, how can a
hunter not be in a paradox?
But above all, the Neanderthal instinct to hunt and gather is something
that is either in you or it isn’t. Sport, have your ever actually sat down
and thought what motivates people to play team sports? It’s not unlike the
motivation of a hunter. This brings me on to the final point, to kill or
not to kill.
As I have said, it’s not just about killing, so why take that final step?
Before I can answer that, you must first understand the amount of skill
and knowledge a hunter must acquire, these days they even have to be
proficient in the legal aspects of hunting. So what does a stalker (for
example, although it equally applies to every shooter or hunter) have to
learn before the grade is achieved?
Each topic has sub-topics which have even more sub divisions, field craft,
marksmanship, total understanding of your quarry, total self control,
butchery, negotiation, commitment, respect for both quarry and law,
determination and so on and so on. These are things that can not be
mastered over night and even a life time can not fully equip a person but
never the less each individual area must be mastered before you have any
hunting success.

All of this accumulates to one point or one button, the trigger.
Does the hunter feel remorse after the button is pressed? The answer is
both yes and no.
The accumulation of skills and knowledge has guided the hunter in to the
shooting position and close enough for a humane kill. The hunter has
justified his actions and is happy, he now checks his shot and the shot
landed exactly where he intended, the beast reacted exactly as he had
anticipated and the beast died as quickly as possible, the hunter is happy
but now the real works begins.

On reflection, the hunter has pitted his wits, stamina and skills against
an animal far greater than himself, an animal that commands far greater
respect than the victor of this chance meeting.
The hunter did a job for whatever reason, used every ounce of skill and
knowledge of a life times work and the hunter did the job well. The
success is measured against the outcome and the out come was in the
hunters favour, if it wasn’t then the hunter would investigate his
failings, correct the problems identified and learn some more. The above
may or may not help you understand the difference between inanimate
targets and live game in the eyes of a hunter, I’m not sure if it makes
any sense either but for me, to hunt a live animal and do a good job is a
privilege and an honour and an instinct that has been with me all my life,
I dare say it will never be lost either.

John

> [...]
>
> On reflection, the hunter has pitted his wits, stamina and skills against
> an animal far greater than himself, an animal that commands far greater
> respect than the victor of this chance meeting.
> The hunter did a job for whatever reason, used every ounce of skill and
> knowledge of a life times work and the hunter did the job well. The
> success is measured against the outcome and the out come was in the
> hunters favour, if it wasn't then the hunter would investigate his
> failings, correct the problems identified and learn some more. The above
> may or may not help you understand the difference between inanimate
> targets and live game in the eyes of a hunter, I'm not sure if it makes
> any sense either but for me, to hunt a live animal and do a good job is a
> privilege and an honour and an instinct that has been with me all my life,
> I dare say it will never be lost either.

This all looks fine to me, and I do understand where you are coming from. I
was looking for just this sort of reply.

As to the "remorse", a friend of mine who used to stalk for the Forestry
Authority in Norfolk, had shot a deer in my wood. When I asked him to shoot
another, he prevaricated. Eventually, he said "I've killed enough animals".
Anyway, Marcus had spent two dawns in my woodland studying the deer before
he went for the kill on the third dawn. He also says he thanks the deer's
soul as it flies by.

However, all you talk about seems so different to the personal bags of 50
that some guns shoot in a day at my neighbouring shoot. There I can see
little difference to a kid's computer game.

Theo

> This all looks fine to me, and I do understand where you are coming
> from. I was looking for just this sort of reply.

TY

> As to the "remorse", a friend of mine who used to stalk for the
> Forestry Authority in Norfolk, had shot a deer in my wood. When I
> asked him to shoot another, he prevaricated. Eventually, he said
> "I've killed enough animals". Anyway, Marcus had spent two dawns in
> my woodland studying the deer before he went for the kill on the
> third dawn. He also says he thanks the deer's soul as it flies by.

I think it all comes down to the real reason a person shoots.

There (at least for me) must be moral justification for what I do and if
there is, I will be ruthless in my work. If there isn’t, I’ll not be
shooting that day.
I have often thought about my own personal views over shooting and I
have often asked myself the simple question “Have I got the right to
decide if something should live or die?” To date, I am happy with what I
have done, it has matched my moral outlook but who knows one day I might
have enough of killing.

I personally think it unwise to be coy about the bottom line, we are
killing things.

I can take you to speak to a chap; he was the head deer manager for an
estate not far away from me. In his time he has culled many, many 1000’s
of deer. He used to go big game hunting (both trophy and cull), suffice
to say this chap has shot a lot of animals.
The all of a sudden, one day with out warning, he packed it all in. He’s
on the sick from his job with depression over what he has done (he is
still employed by the estate). To me, this suggests that he was out
there and shooting things for all the wrong reasons but as I say, who am
I to judge the correct reasons.

> However, all you talk about seems so different to the personal bags
> of 50 that some guns shoot in a day at my neighbouring shoot. There I
> can see little difference to a kid's computer game.

I have a lot of friends who shoot pheasants and see things in the way
you have described. I disagree with playing the numbers game. I will
admit I have played it in the past but I never enjoyed the day. Again,
my own personal morals kick in and for me, two birds will be sufficient
but you have to remember that commercial shoots expect the guns to shoot
large bags and they promote this image, right or wrong. The whole
process of “sport” pushes a person to be the “best”, so it follows the
better the gun, the more birds the gun will shoot and of course if you
are of this mentality you will be happy but of course sooner or later if
you are shooting for the wrong reasons, you’ll end up packing it in.
IMHO it all falls down to morals and personal justification.

John

Mephisto

On 23 Nov 2004 20:33:34 GMT, John <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Mephisto <mephisto@no.spam.thanks> wrote in
>
>> I think you'll find that politicians are relatively highly
>educated!
>
>EDUCATED in what respect?

In that they have a decent education. Most of them are educated to at
least first degree level. You may not agree with them, but that
doesn't make them stupid.

>Peter Bradley MP, openly admits that the ban was a “class”
>struggle. (one over on the "Toff's" so to speak).

That's his opinion, and I disagree with it. I have never opposed
hunting because of class issues, and I don't know anyone who *does*
oppose it for that reason. There are enough reasons without resorting
to class issues.

Mephisto

Mephisto

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:23:42 -0000, "Theo Hopkins"
<theo@theohopkins.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

>"John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message .
>>
>> Would you consider shooting clays as an acceptable alternative to
>> pheasant or rabbit shooting? Target shooting as an alternative to
>> stalking?
>>
>> John
>
>I find this an interesting question that you put.
>
>What _is_ the difference between the dead target and the live animal?
>
>I have a gut understanding, but not a logical understanding. I admit to
>confusion here. Logically, I can only see that feildcraft skills are missing
>at a target, but then maybe on could photo the real deer and then shoot the
>tin deer.
>
>(This being if you are not shooting for food, which often with driven
>pheasants is the case, for we know at some shoots, not a single beastie is
>taken home by the punter.)

I *never* shoot anything if I do not intend to eat it. I will go on
shoots to rid farmers' fields of 'vermin', but what's vermin to them
is dinner to me.

It's far more ecologically sound to blast a few pheasant and rabbits
with a shotgun after they've lived wild than to keep chickens and pigs
in the obscene and disturbing conditions that most modern farms adopt.

To me, it's a very clear-cut issue. I will not kill an animal if I am
not going to eat it, and I will not eat an animal unless I know which
farm it came from and that their welfare standards are acceptably
high. Nowadays, there's really no excuse for being ignorant about
stuff like that, and eating meat from appallingly treated animals is a
positive choice and not the default.

Of course, that's the position from the POV of a devoted carnivore :)

Mephisto

Mephisto

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:24:57 -0000, "Theo Hopkins"
<theo@theohopkins.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

>"John" <zero_one34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Mephisto <mephisto@no.spam.thanks> wrote in
>>
>> > I think you'll find that politicians are relatively highly
>> educated!
>>
>> EDUCATED in what respect?
>>
>> Peter Bradley MP, openly admits that the ban was a "class"
>> struggle. (one over on the "Toff's" so to speak).
>>
>> John
>
>Hi Folks, Theo the Anti here.
>
>Keep this thread cool!
>
>As a reader of a number of animal rights newsgroups, I can report that
>Mephisto
>is almost the first 'anti' poster who has not gone off on the "bloodthirsty
>toffs" etc, etc rant route. ....and rants are booring and not worth a
>pixel.
>
>Well, I don't go the bloodthisty murdering toffs route, either, so thats two
>of us?

I've mellowed in my old age :)

I used to be a conservation biologist, so I can still go off on one
every once in a while. It tends not to be at the hunting crowd,
though. There are far worse and more widespread abuses going on out
there, and it's important to maintain a sense of perspective.

Mephisto

"Theo Hopkins" <theo@theohopkins.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> However, all you talk about seems so different to the personal bags of 50
that some guns shoot in a day at my neighbouring shoot. There I can see
little difference to a kid's computer game.

> Theo

This has been addressed by John, but I wanted to add my thoughts.

You raise a very important point, Theo. (This _has_ been a very interesting
debate.) I am relatively new to shooting (though I've been interested in
that and other field sports for nearly 30 years), but I do worry about the
'big shoots'. I am a member of a small shoot and we eat what we shoot - no
question. However, the big shoots cannot claim that. My greatest fear is
that it will be these commercial shoots who run the risk of killing our
sport - when the ploughing in of 800 dead pheasants reaches the public
domain, I fear we will start a similar, long battle to that fought (and
probably lost) by the fox hunters.

I know I have the hunting gene - I have an urge to go out and hunt my own
food and, yes, I admit, I get great pleasure form it - not from killing
something (I could sit in my back garden with an air rifle to do that). I
enjoy every aspect of the effort - from rearing the game in the first place,
to seeing the team of beaters and dogs (particularly the dogs) flush the
birds, before finally the guns get to pit their skills. (My shoot takes a
'stand and shoot' approach by the way and I have beaten in the past - don't
know why that's important, but it is to me!)

I don't know why, but I have always got a bit of a kick from seeing a bird
get away (a sort of a 'good on yer' feeling)! I also feel a twinge of
remorse at killing something - oddly enough I do not feel that remorse when
I pick up a wrapped chicken in the Supermarket. I study my 'prey' and its
surroundings; I don't study battery-reared chickens. But I am rather proud
of what I know and the fact that I am willing to 'get my hands dirty'
(literally) in bringing back the supper. And I think that is part of the
point.

Ian

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

You are such a hypocrit Theo,

heres one for you since you don't understand the logic, would you screw your
wife of a blowup doll ?

There you go now you tell me which. Is that logic enough for you.

Idiot.

Pan.

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

John,

don't even waste your breath, with twats like THEO on the war path, field
sports have no chance. He doesn't listen, he doesn't want to. To him we are all
murdering, cruel savages. He cannot hope to understand.

I'm just sick to the teeth, with comments like his, he obviously has nothing
else to winge about and this is his past time. Here you are THEO go calculate
how much money is put into the economy, how many jobs are created by such
sports, how many families supported, how much pleasure is derived and how much
of the countryside is upkept due to shooting, then come back and tell us that
shooting game, rough shooting etc should be banned.

You need your head examine mate.

Enough said.

Pan.

"PAN4DEM" <pan4dem@aol.com> wrote in message
> John,
>
> don't even waste your breath, with twats like THEO on the war path, field
> sports have no chance. He doesn't listen, he doesn't want to. To him we
are all
> murdering, cruel savages. He cannot hope to understand.
>
> I'm just sick to the teeth, with comments like his, he obviously has
nothing
> else to winge about and this is his past time. Here you are THEO go
calculate
> how much money is put into the economy, how many jobs are created by such
> sports, how many families supported, how much pleasure is derived and how
much
> of the countryside is upkept due to shooting, then come back and tell us
that
> shooting game, rough shooting etc should be banned.
>
> You need your head examine mate.
>
> Enough said.
>
> Pan.

Hi Pan,