Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Potential virus?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 29, 2013 4:15:58 AM

For sometime now I've been attempting to fix a laptop that I have that was used by my sister. The laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ61 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I believe the computer has a virus but cannot actually find out for sure if it does or not. I have ran many virus scans with multiple virus protections and still I'm getting blue screens of death, major jamming, as well as occasional start up fails. The computer jams up so badly that I can't use it for even simple tasks. If I try to up the start menu or any folders the computer jams up for about a minute before it responds. If I try to get on the web nothing at all will load no matter what web browser I'm using. The computer will also freeze up completely at random times and the only way to get it to respond is to restart it. I am running out of ideas for how to fix it and am about ready to destroy it with a hammer. Please help!!

More about : potential virus

January 29, 2013 4:54:40 AM

Given the fact that the notebook is 2.2Ghz celeron (single core) with 2GB of ram and 250GB of HDD. It is not really suitable for running win 7 imo even though it shipped with it and slow response that you are facing is much unavoidable.

There are a few solution for this problem;
1) Check your free HDD space. Window need quite a decent amount of space to use as cache and 10~15GB minimum is recommended.
2) Uninstall all the unnecessary/less used programs especially the programs that always hogging in ur system tray.
3) Run defrag under optimization setting because fragmented HDD will slow the system down. I'm using this one - http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/
4) Move documents, mp3, videos, etc... to the portable drive to free up the HDD space.

For Extreme measures;
1) If you can afford, buy SSD and replace but it will be expensive option since 128GB ssd can cost ard US$120 and your notebook worth ard US$550 for new one. On the other hand, if you every build new PC or buy new notebook, u can use ur SSD back.
2) If you tried all the above methods and would not want to get SSD, back up all your documents and run factory restore disc.

Just remember, more and more program eat larg portion of memory and they tend to utilize multi-core architecture these days. No offense but with the current hardware configuration, it will be quite hard to get smooth experience out of it.
m
l
January 29, 2013 3:17:27 PM

The laptop has an AMD Athlon Dual-Core M320 2.10GHz processor and 3 Gb of ram with 122 Gb of free hard drive space left. I have already degraged the disk and that did no good.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 3:22:29 PM

If you boot into safe mode is it more stable? Can you run combofix and malwarebytes from there?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 3:24:00 PM

Run a command prompt as an administrator, and type "SFC /SCANNOW" - it will take a few minutes to run. This will check/repair system files that could be corrupted.

If that doesn't fix the problem, backup the data from the drive (USERS folders), and do the factory restore.

It could be that your hard drive is starting to fail, corrupted files or the system has issues with installed programs.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 249 D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 4:23:46 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 29, 2013 7:38:36 PM

I ran the pc in safe mode and ran malwarebytes. That came up with no results so I ran the the check/repair system files in the command prompt and that found nothing. I'm going to do the factory restore and hopefully that will work.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 12:39:24 AM

It's time you take a look at everything running and starting up when your computer does.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

This will help you isolate what services and startup items are causing the lockups when you boot the computer up.
February 6, 2013 1:25:04 AM

Best answer selected by jacobfazzaro.
m
l
!