Building a new system. Opinions? -newbie-

DivineWrath

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2001
Okay, first of all- don't rip me a new one just for asking.
I had $1900 to work with. (My university is paying for it... so I don't mind blowing it all.) It's for my home, I play Quake3 and other graphic intensive game. I also use Bryce3D v4.... just for fun. I'm online alot and use business programs.
I figure, if someone else is paying for it- I want top of the line...
I really don't care about having an awesome sound card. I'm using the one that came with my motherboard at the moment and it's working fine for me.
I guess it's mostly that I need help picking out a CPU/Motherboard and Graphics card.
I'm running ME at the moment and will most likely upgrade to XP. (I've had constant problems with all Windows versions and I'm praying that XP will give me the least amount of trouble. I already know that it's too much to ask for, so no preaching on the subject.... please.
Anyway, any good advise would be much appreciated.
Oh... almost forgot... I can easily wait six months or so if something REALLY cool is just on the horizon.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Step one. Get yourself a really good monitor. This will give you the most enjoyment out of your system bar none. Don't skimp here. Comparison shop, find one you like the best, buy it or budget for it. Then see how much you have left and come back and ask the same question with what you have left over.

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!

AlexNichol

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2001
Get a decent monitor, at least 19" if you can afford it. A lot of people seem to underestimate this part of their system, instead concentrating more of graphics card/processor.

Go for an Athlon, as the 1.4gig has just fallen in price and is ridiculously cheap.

Most important of all: do your research on motherboards! Some may appear to be great, but turn out to have lots of compatibility problems, like my Assus A7A266.

Paying a little extra for a decent heatsink and fan is well worth it.