Sign in with
Your question

Win7 Remote Desktop sputters to halt with new ASUS

Last response: in Windows 7
January 29, 2013 5:03:45 AM

I just replaced the motherboard on my desktop PC from a five-year old Asus P5N32E-SLI to a new Asus P8Z77-VLE Core 5 Intel with 16 gigs of RAM. I reloaded Windows 7, which I had been using before, and installed all updates and patches.

Before I made the switch I was able to use Remote Desktop to connect to my desktop PC from the two laptops elsewhere in my house, over my home’s LAN, and the Remote experience was virtually as fast as if I was logged in on my desktop PC locally. But with the new motherboard, RD virtually comes to a halt after a few seconds of connect time.

For example, the screen takes many minutes to redraw after even the slightest change; it is totally unusable, and I used to use it every day. The new motherboard is the only thing I have changed; all my other computers and networking gear didn’t change. (Though I upgraded the BIOS in my Linksys router after the problem started, to no avail.)

I have followed all the suggestions I found online: Disabling auto-tuning, changing the mouse pointer to a basic one, scaling back the Remote Desktop “experience,” etc. Nothing has worked. As far as I can tell, all my drivers are up to date.

Without a Remote Connection session, my laptops “see” the drives on my desktop fine, and LAN drive-to-drive transfer speeds are normal. But they, too, start to bog down once I get a minute or two into an RD session.

Any help would be appreciated. (Big understatement.)
a c 219 $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 11:38:52 AM

Go to Asus's web site and download the newest LAN driver for win7. If your motherboard has two ethernet ports, try using the other one. Also, check the device manager and make sure your LAN adapter doesn't have a yellow exclamation point or other negative symbol next to it.
January 29, 2013 6:34:19 PM

All done, but to no effect. Thanks very much for the suggestions.
!