How hot should it be???

G

Hi all I thought I would have a spring clean and threw out my old compy. I have bought a athlon 1.4-266 now my problem may be is it seems to be running a little hot @ 50.C whereas my old p3 was always arround 35.C AMD say that the max temp is 90.C but I am not too sure if running at 50.C is ok. I have a Thermo engine cooller with some silver compound on there. I also have a second fan on the chassis. The mobo is @ ~ 33.C (Asus A7M-266) Can you help? is this ok

Just what is the norm if someone out there also has this cpu can let me know how hot theirs runs...Thanms.

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I guess 50* C isn't too bad. I think the A7M was the board that had the goofy sensor or something like that. I'm sure someone will reply to me and say if it is or not. If it is the board it is 10*C cooler than what the asus pc probe says.

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

G

Touch the H/S, if you smell burning, your finger starts hurting and have trouble removing it from the heatsink then it's probably too hot and your skin has melted onto it OR you had glue on your finger that not only irritated the skin but glued your finger to the H/S and the burning you smell is your dinner. Either way you should extract your finger from the heat sink ASAP as it's reducing the H/S's cooling properties. If none of the above happens then

a) you havn't been near glue

b) you cpu isn't overheating

Of course if the thought of using your finger worries you then petrol or other flammable substance is also a viable alternative, with a small flame or explosion being a bad thing...

(sorry... :wink: )

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

verada

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2001
I have an Asus A7V133-C main board & T-bird 1.33@1.4ghz and it has a tempeture of 51 degrees with a thermaltake mini super twin fan orb, also two case fans with an inside case temp. of 24 degress so 50 degrees seems about average to me!!!

Computers remind me of Murphy's law:- whatever can go wrong, it's always associated with a computer!

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
My t-bird 200MHz/1.2GHz@1.41GHz runs at 41 deg. I use a Globalwin FOP-32 HS, but I replaced the Delta fan with a Thermaltake from a Volcano II. The Delta was too loud, and the new fan cools to within 1-2 degrees of Delta. One thing you might try is putting a case fan as close to the processor as possible. I did this on my old case with a 60mm fan exhausting the air from the area right around the proc. CPU temp dropped 4-5 deg.

G

AEboy128 thanksyou for the info I will try to look into that 10 deg thing. You may be right though as the hs does not feel too hot and I am pretty sure that it has a good connection.

APOC286 thankyou for your input nice to know i can still smile. and yes I still have all my fingers..Although it feels quite hot I can hold my finger to it without it burning so thats good right? and the machine is running fine...

verada + MadMike I think maybe I should invest in one of these super hsf just in case but buying the cps an board has left me with well err no cash..

ponce again thanyou all for your help ideas and humor..I will keep you informed.

G

just to keep you updated i have just added another chassis fan and it is down to 42.C :)

G

[Serious Mode on]

42 degrees when the PC is under load is fine. It's only if your overclocking you need to get it lower and don't base what you think your temperature on the temperatures people have here, don't forget most of them are over clocking and so need the super low running temperatures and use supa dupa absolute zero must be careful not to freeze CPU sorta jobby...

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile: