Building A Computer Desk.... What Features?

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Hey forum!

I'm planning to build a computer desk soon, but right now I am just brainstorming potential features it could have. So far I have the following features confirmed:

-Drawer/cubby for clutter
-Space for tower raised higher above carpet, to prevent more dust
-Raised platform for monitor only, so more room on top
-Hidden cable management integrated into table
-Mouse pad integrated into table top

Does anyone have any other suggestions/ideas? Also, can you guys recommend wood to use? My current one is made of mdf wood, and I personally do not like it. I don't have any measurements so far

Thanks

Integrated computer into the desk?
Go for something like the L3P D3SK or Cross Desk. Have a glass panel so you can see the computer built inside.
http://www.l3p.nl/l3p-d3sk/all-pictures/

One up to the raised platform and have a monitor stand bolted in, you seem to be fairly confident in construction tasks so maybe something like this could be a good option.
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/peripherals/build-a-triple-screen-stand-for-25-1090082
Just gotta make sure your monitor/s are VESA compatible.

This build log may be useful for you, someone else has also built their own desk from scratch, though I think his is a lot larger scale than yours will be as it stretches around a room.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/337794-31-bombproof-builders-desk-build

No idea when it comes to different woods unfortunately, not much of a handy man myself. So far the only woodwork I'v done is shop class in middle school, where it got as complex as (completely forgotten the joint name :lol:, but its a pretty simple one).

tower platform: i would leave all sides open for adequate airflow. boxing in the tower can cause overheating. i do agree with getting the pc off the carpet. i've also seen concepts which place the pc under the monitor where the space under the monitor platform but above the desk (which is open) is used to access the tower cd trays and power button.

monitor platform: you could also buy vesa mount monitors and use a vesa mount swing arm to mount them.

hidden cable management: definitely a good idea. another one is to use plastic cable tray with the snap on covers. all along the length are slots for wires to enter and leave. this is what i use.

drawer/cubby: usefull. you may want to think about making one a file storage rack. or a space to hold cds often used.

integrated mousepad: i would suggest not and just using a standard cloth mousepad. personally i'm against drop down keyboard trays also as they are normally far less ergonomic then they claim. the best thing is to use a thin desktop (1-2") and adjust the height of the desk so that it falls at the proper level. having adjustable legs (or just using an adjustable chair) is also a good idea. having your kb+m on the desk also gives you more arm room to work.

--

i would also suggest an integrated power switch/surge protector on the front or top to turn off power, a power outlet for a lamp and perhaps one or more wire holes.

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Wow. That desk looks amazing, but I probably won't have the time (and skill :p) to make one like that.

I would love to make that, but I currently only have one monitor and i don't plan to buy another one anytime soon. Thanks, the page has been bookmarked!

I saw that thread when I was searching for ideas haha but it is VERY big, I am only planning to construct one for a corner in my house.

Oh that's alright, maybe it was a mitre joint, or a mortise and tenon?

Thanks for the input!

The L3P D3SK is fairly complex, but I'v seen simpler desks with the same general concept, couple made primarily of wood as well.
Have a look at the Bit-Tech forums, they have a fairly active modding community with a dedicated section to scratch built cases. Would link to it, but I think their servers are down right now.

Looked it up since I last posted, I think it's a dovetail joint.

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Yeah I was thinking about that but the thing is that the desk's surface area has to be large enough for the monitor, keyboard, mouse and printer, but at the same time be small enough in order to fit in a corner in my house without jutting out. I don't want to do anything too complex as well because I don't have much spare time on my hands.

Wall mounting isn't an option unfortunately because i don't plan to keep the pc and desk there all the time. I was thinking of having a monitor stand bolted in as manofchalk said, but only for one monitor.

I was planning to have something similar to a cable tray that would be integrated into the table, while still being easily accessible. It will down the back of the table, hidden by supports underneath.

I was thinking of making either a large cubby under the printer, or just having a few going down one side of the desk, but again, the size matters.

Really? I thought it'd look more streamlined, but on second thought it might be a hassle for both the constructing and future adaptability, because when I buy a new mouse pad it might not fit, or be in the wrong position.
Yeah I hate those keyboard trays. My current desk used to have one but it broke because I kept accidentally hitting it with my knees :p. I'll just have an adjustable chair because an adjustable desk would be take too much time and might affect the stability.

Thanks for the input!

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Yeah it is but if there is a similar but easier desk like it to make I might take it into consideration. Thanks! I'll take a look when they're back up.

Oh THAT joint. Those joints are among the harder types to make, and are time consuming, but generally hold out for drawer use, etc for a long time without any glue.

Could always make the monitor stand hold just one. Given the DIY nature, could always expand on it later.

For the integrated mousepad idea, can think of a way to make it work and still have future customisability.
Have the desk surface, and mark out a large square/rectangle and embed(?) the wood 5mm or so. Then you can take a bit of 5mm thick wood sheet, cut it to the size of the hole and glue whatever mouspad to it. Drop the wood into the hole and you have your integrated mousepad. If you want a new pad, remove the wood piece+mousepad, make another and glue the new mousepad on. Slot it in and your good.

:D
Feel like I accomplished something now :lol: Upon closer inspection of what I made it also has a mortise and tenon joint.
Time consuming yes, I remember spending ages sanding the joint. Good way to waste a lot of time with friends in the same class.

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Yeah I probably could and it seems like a good idea because they'd be more space on the desk top.

You can give yourself a pat on the back for that idea, because it's great! I might just use it because it means that the mouse pad will be level with the desk top's surface on all sides! THANK YOU! :D :D :D

Aaah yep. It really annoyed me when I had gotten it perfect but because of all the sanding and filing the measurements would be different :/

nickmiller23

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Some things to consider - not sure how far along you are...

1. Enclosed computer tower with venting fans and dust screens (intake and exhaust) compliant with the computers air-flow design. It's always a better idea to keep a computer tower elevated off of the floor, generally more than pre-cut desks allow. I like my at least 12 inches above the floor, that way I can access everything with out bending down.

2. Built in USB, CAT6, HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, or 3.5mm Audio ports with wires pre-installed. In other words, plug the computer's connections into the tower cabinet in the desk, with wire's already laid out to where the devices will reside, so that the peripheral devices plug-in to where they are located. - extreme wire management.

3. Pre-wired grounded electric for the Tower, Monitor, Speakers, Printer, and any other peripherals you may consider. Have it all tied in to a consolidated access cabinet with a high end surge protector, so that all that is visible from the exterior of the desk is one single power cord.

4. Pre-wired USB 3.0 port on the desk-top for easy flash drive access.

5. Design the desk around where the monitor/user will be facing. Nothing should be terribly far from arm's reach in a seated position. Corner desks are fantastic for prime real estate easy access.

For a super fancy look, provide a space to mount your display, just like an entertainment center would be. And even fancier, ditch the computer tower altogether and mount the components directly to the desk with no tower - it's involved, but it's way easier access and the ventilation becomes even less an issue. Food for thought if you're getting terribly involved.

thee_prisoner

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I was going to suggest a cup holder but I looked through that link for a computer desk and he built one in.

Wood wise, at least on the top, birch cabinet grade plywood is pretty nice. A lot easier then trying to apply veneer if you don't have the skills.