HP IIIP Printer / compared to / HP 2300 ??

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 11, 2004 12:50:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I have a small office in connection with my business. I have used Hewlett
Packard IIIP for about 12 years. It delivers a beautiful print, but is
worn out, and is really slow.

I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
business use.

Here is my problem: While the print quality of the new printer is very
nice and high-quality laser print, I just simply cannot get the same
"bold", deep , almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP. At
first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
and/or the resolution setting. Adjusting these settings just doesn't
produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.

As I recall, the HP IIIP is 600 x 600 resolution. The new 2300 is
1200 dpi resolution. Of course, the print is crisp, and clear (perfect),
but to me, the letters look THIN. That is the only way that I know to
describe it. I changed the menu dpi setting down to 600 (and then
300), but that did not do the trick for me.

I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality. I would be
elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some "meat"
on them, and not look so light and thin.

Is there anything that I am overlooking?? Any other ideas on this??

I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this, but
could not find any better groups. If anyone has a recommendation of another
group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks for any tips on this !!

--James--
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 1:11:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Have you looked inside to see if there is a print density adjustment ?

Often inside where the toner is kept, is a dial for print density. Usually it is set
midway. You may want to increase it. If it is NOT available it may be available via the
Print Driver. Note, if you increase the print density, it will decrease the life of the
toner cart.

Dave

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message

| I have a small office in connection with my business. I have used Hewlett
| Packard IIIP for about 12 years. It delivers a beautiful print, but is
| worn out, and is really slow.
|
| I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
| business use.
|
| Here is my problem: While the print quality of the new printer is very
| nice and high-quality laser print, I just simply cannot get the same
| "bold", deep , almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP. At
| first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
| and/or the resolution setting. Adjusting these settings just doesn't
| produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
|
| As I recall, the HP IIIP is 600 x 600 resolution. The new 2300 is
| 1200 dpi resolution. Of course, the print is crisp, and clear (perfect),
| but to me, the letters look THIN. That is the only way that I know to
| describe it. I changed the menu dpi setting down to 600 (and then
| 300), but that did not do the trick for me.
|
| I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality. I would be
| elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some "meat"
| on them, and not look so light and thin.
|
| Is there anything that I am overlooking?? Any other ideas on this??
|
| I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this, but
| could not find any better groups. If anyone has a recommendation of another
| group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.
|
| Thanks for any tips on this !!
|
| --James--

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 1:19:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

No, I have not looked for a manual print density adjustment, but I will.
There is a menu item for this and I adjusted to the highest setting, but
the print is still thin.

On Monday, I will look for a manual adjustment.

Thank You !!

--James--

----------------------------------

Have you looked inside to see if there is a print density adjustment ?

Often inside where the toner is kept, is a dial for print density. Usually
it is set
midway. You may want to increase it. If it is NOT available it may be
available via the
Print Driver. Note, if you increase the print density, it will decrease the
life of the
toner cart.

Dave

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message

| I have a small office in connection with my business. I have used
Hewlett
| Packard IIIP for about 12 years. It delivers a beautiful print, but is
| worn out, and is really slow.
|
| I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
| business use.
|
| Here is my problem: While the print quality of the new printer is very
| nice and high-quality laser print, I just simply cannot get the same
| "bold", deep , almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP. At
| first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
| and/or the resolution setting. Adjusting these settings just doesn't
| produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
|
| As I recall, the HP IIIP is 600 x 600 resolution. The new 2300 is
| 1200 dpi resolution. Of course, the print is crisp, and clear
(perfect),
| but to me, the letters look THIN. That is the only way that I know to
| describe it. I changed the menu dpi setting down to 600 (and then
| 300), but that did not do the trick for me.
|
| I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality. I would be
| elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some
"meat"
| on them, and not look so light and thin.
|
| Is there anything that I am overlooking?? Any other ideas on this??
|
| I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this,
but
| could not find any better groups. If anyone has a recommendation of
another
| group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.
|
| Thanks for any tips on this !!
|
| --James--

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 11, 2004 1:43:03 AM

James Nipper wrote:

> I have a small office in connection with my business. I have used
> Hewlett
> Packard IIIP for about 12 years. It delivers a beautiful print, but is
> worn out, and is really slow.
>
> I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
> business use.
>
> Here is my problem: While the print quality of the new printer is very
> nice and high-quality laser print, I just simply cannot get the same
> "bold", deep , almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP. At
> first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
> and/or the resolution setting. Adjusting these settings just doesn't
> produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
>
> As I recall, the HP IIIP is 600 x 600 resolution. The new 2300 is
> 1200 dpi resolution. Of course, the print is crisp, and clear
> (perfect),
> but to me, the letters look THIN. That is the only way that I know to
> describe it. I changed the menu dpi setting down to 600 (and then
> 300), but that did not do the trick for me.
>
> I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality. I would be
> elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some
> "meat" on them, and not look so light and thin.
>
> Is there anything that I am overlooking?? Any other ideas on this??
>
> I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this,
> but
> could not find any better groups. If anyone has a recommendation of
> another group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very
> much.
>
> Thanks for any tips on this !!
>
> --James--
The toner on the newer printers is a much finer particle than the old ones
so its probably not going to be as thick, some of those old printers you
can run your hand across the paper and feel the print.
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 6:24:22 AM

James Nipper wrote:

> I have a small office in connection with my business. I have used Hewlett
> Packard IIIP for about 12 years. It delivers a beautiful print, but is
> worn out, and is really slow.
>
> I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
> business use.
>
> Here is my problem: While the print quality of the new printer is very
> nice and high-quality laser print, I just simply cannot get the same
> "bold", deep , almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP. At
> first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
> and/or the resolution setting. Adjusting these settings just doesn't
> produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
>
> As I recall, the HP IIIP is 600 x 600 resolution. The new 2300 is
> 1200 dpi resolution. Of course, the print is crisp, and clear (perfect),
> but to me, the letters look THIN. That is the only way that I know to
> describe it. I changed the menu dpi setting down to 600 (and then
> 300), but that did not do the trick for me.
>
> I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality. I would be
> elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some "meat"
> on them, and not look so light and thin.
>
> Is there anything that I am overlooking?? Any other ideas on this??
>
> I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this, but
> could not find any better groups. If anyone has a recommendation of another
> group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.
>
> Thanks for any tips on this !!
>
> --James--

The finer printing can be attributed to both the higher
resolution of the printer and the quality of the carbon
black used in the toner. But there may be a way to fool
the printer into believing that it is, not a HP IIIP but
a HP III, because the HP 2300 is backwards compatible to
HP's PCL4. Install the printer drivers for the HP III;
for straight printing with darker (or thicker) print,
select the HP III printer but route the printing job to
the HP 2300 (via the parallel port). The HP 2300 will
accept the PCL4 printer commands and emulate a HP III.
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 9:34:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:50:15 -0400, "James Nipper"
<jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

>I have a small office in connection with my business. I have used Hewlett
>Packard IIIP for about 12 years. It delivers a beautiful print, but is
>worn out, and is really slow.
>
>I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
>business use.
>
>Here is my problem: While the print quality of the new printer is very
>nice and high-quality laser print, I just simply cannot get the same
>"bold", deep , almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP. At
>first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
>and/or the resolution setting. Adjusting these settings just doesn't
>produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
>
>As I recall, the HP IIIP is 600 x 600 resolution. The new 2300 is
>1200 dpi resolution. Of course, the print is crisp, and clear (perfect),
>but to me, the letters look THIN. That is the only way that I know to
>describe it. I changed the menu dpi setting down to 600 (and then
>300), but that did not do the trick for me.
>
>I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality. I would be
>elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some "meat"
>on them, and not look so light and thin.
>
>Is there anything that I am overlooking?? Any other ideas on this??
>
>I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this, but
>could not find any better groups. If anyone has a recommendation of another
>group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.
>
>Thanks for any tips on this !!
>
>--James--

You mentioned "600 X 600" resolution on your old HP111P, but the HPIII
that I 'retired' last year after 13 years was only 300 X 300; was
there that much difference between the III & the IIIP? (By the way,
I've got two new printers, neither one as good as my old III, in every
respect.)
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 4:38:32 PM

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:34:05 -0400, E. Barry Bruyea <spring@fever.ca> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:50:15 -0400, "James Nipper"
><jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

<SNIP>
>You mentioned "600 X 600" resolution on your old HP111P, but the HPIII
>that I 'retired' last year after 13 years was only 300 X 300; was
>there that much difference between the III & the IIIP? (By the way,
>I've got two new printers, neither one as good as my old III, in every
>respect.)

The LaserJet III and IIIp are vastly different printers with different shapes,
sizes, print engines and toner cartridges. It's been a while since I used a
IIIp, but I don't seem to recall that it is capable of 600x600, unless it, like
the III, has a resolution enhancement feature which implements a bit of
anti-aliasing for sharper print.

My take is that the Laserjets at the low end, namely 1100, 1200, 1300, are
cheaply made hunks of plastic. The 2000-series LaserJets seem a little better,
but to get the sturdiness and overall quality of a LaserJet III (or 4 or 5),
people need to pay as much for a laser printer today as they paid for the
original LJ3, namely over $US1000. My LaserJet II gave many years of faithful
service and was well worth the $US1000+ I paid for it way back when. Nobody,
but nobody, can expect any quality of workmanship or parts in a new laser
printer (any brand) with a sticker price of $US300 or less. For my part, I am
sticking with a LaserJet 5M, another in the long line of true LaserJet
workhorses... Ben Myers
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 4:38:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Ben Myers wrote:

<<snipped>>

> My take is that the Laserjets at the low end, namely 1100, 1200, 1300, are
> cheaply made hunks of plastic. The 2000-series LaserJets seem a little better,
> but to get the sturdiness and overall quality of a LaserJet III (or 4 or 5),
> people need to pay as much for a laser printer today as they paid for the
> original LJ3, namely over $US1000. My LaserJet II gave many years of faithful
> service and was well worth the $US1000+ I paid for it way back when. Nobody,
> but nobody, can expect any quality of workmanship or parts in a new laser
> printer (any brand) with a sticker price of $US300 or less. For my part, I am
> sticking with a LaserJet 5M, another in the long line of true LaserJet
> workhorses... Ben Myers

Agreed. But properly optioned HP LaserJets 2100, 2200 and
2300 are pretty good printers, with the LaserJet 2100 being
the direct descendant of the LaserJet 5M. Properly optioned:
at least 32 MB of RAM and the PostScript card. The price is
OK for the small business user (although the home user should
consider making a small investment and buy one for expected
years of excellent printing). My printers - the LaserJet 4M+
with 32 MB RAM, PS and Ethernet.
September 11, 2004 5:23:58 PM

Ben Myers wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:34:05 -0400, E. Barry Bruyea <spring@fever.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:50:15 -0400, "James Nipper"
>><jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>>
> <SNIP>
>>You mentioned "600 X 600" resolution on your old HP111P, but the HPIII
>>that I 'retired' last year after 13 years was only 300 X 300; was
>>there that much difference between the III & the IIIP? (By the way,
>>I've got two new printers, neither one as good as my old III, in every
>>respect.)
>>

> The LaserJet III and IIIp are vastly different printers with different
> shapes,
> sizes, print engines and toner cartridges. It's been a while since I used
> a IIIp, but I don't seem to recall that it is capable of 600x600, unless
> it, like the III, has a resolution enhancement feature which implements a
> bit of anti-aliasing for sharper print.
>
> My take is that the Laserjets at the low end, namely 1100, 1200, 1300, are
> cheaply made hunks of plastic. The 2000-series LaserJets seem a little
> better, but to get the sturdiness and overall quality of a LaserJet III
> (or 4 or 5), people need to pay as much for a laser printer today as they
> paid for the
> original LJ3, namely over $US1000. My LaserJet II gave many years of
> faithful
> service and was well worth the $US1000+ I paid for it way back when.
> Nobody, but nobody, can expect any quality of workmanship or parts in a
> new laser
> printer (any brand) with a sticker price of $US300 or less. For my part,
> I am sticking with a LaserJet 5M, another in the long line of true
> LaserJet workhorses... Ben Myers
Very true. HP's biggest competitor in printers is HP. You go in to a
customer and try to get them to buy new printers and they say their old 5,
4si, 4m, etc are all running fine why should they buy a new one. Hp had to
get creative and add fancy features to the higher end and do studies
showing how the lower cost of toner for the new models would pay for
themselves over x # of months/years
September 12, 2004 2:08:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"P" used to indicate posttscript, nothing else.

Mike

"E. Barry Bruyea" <spring@fever.ca> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:50:15 -0400, "James Nipper"
> <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>

>>I have a small office in connection with my business. I have used
>>Hewlett
>>Packard IIIP for about 12 years. It delivers a beautiful print, but is
>>worn out, and is really slow.
>>
>>I bought a brand new HP 2300, which is a good, small printer, ideal for
>>business use.
>>
>>Here is my problem: While the print quality of the new printer is very
>>nice and high-quality laser print, I just simply cannot get the same
>>"bold", deep , almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP. At
>>first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
>>and/or the resolution setting. Adjusting these settings just doesn't
>>produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.
>>
>>As I recall, the HP IIIP is 600 x 600 resolution. The new 2300 is
>>1200 dpi resolution. Of course, the print is crisp, and clear
>>(perfect),
>>but to me, the letters look THIN. That is the only way that I know to
>>describe it. I changed the menu dpi setting down to 600 (and then
>>300), but that did not do the trick for me.
>>
>>I love the 2300 for its speed, and basic good laser quality. I would be
>>elated if I could find a way to make the print characters have some
>>"meat"
>>on them, and not look so light and thin.
>>
>>Is there anything that I am overlooking?? Any other ideas on this??
>>
>>I looked for HP groups, or some better group within which to post this,
>>but
>>could not find any better groups. If anyone has a recommendation of
>>another
>>group for more appropriate posting, I would appreciate it very much.
>>
>>Thanks for any tips on this !!
>>
>>--James--
>

> You mentioned "600 X 600" resolution on your old HP111P, but the HPIII
> that I 'retired' last year after 13 years was only 300 X 300; was
> there that much difference between the III & the IIIP? (By the way,
> I've got two new printers, neither one as good as my old III, in every
> respect.)

Anonymous
September 12, 2004 2:08:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

No.
PS = PostScript.
P = personal like IIIp, 4p and 5p which sets them apart, the low volume lasers, from the
high volume units such as the IIIsi, 4si, 5si, 8000, 8100 and 8150.

But then again who can *really* figure out HP's product naming convention. However, P <>
PostScript.

Dave

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:rHK0d.1372$lX.1169@trnddc04...
| "P" used to indicate posttscript, nothing else.
|
| Mike
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 9:48:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

In article <r82dnSw1z-BQ1t_cRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, jnipper@nospam.fdn.com
(James Nipper) says...

> Here is my problem: While the print quality of the new printer is very
> nice and high-quality laser print, I just simply cannot get the same
> "bold", deep , almost-saturated print look that I had with my IIIP. At
> first, I thought that I just needed to adjust the density menu setting,
> and/or the resolution setting. Adjusting these settings just doesn't
> produce the same good look that I had with the much older HP IIIP.

I know what you are talking about. The scaleable fonts are output in
dots, and the newer printers have a lot more delicate appearance. I
don't know if there is any way to correct for that, other than selecting
a different font. Does your new printer do PostScript? You might try
the PS version of your font rather than TrueType. You might also select
a bolder TrueType font that has an appearance closer to what you are
looking for.

> As I recall, the HP IIIP is 600 x 600 resolution. The new 2300 is
> 1200 dpi resolution. Of course, the print is crisp, and clear (perfect),
> but to me, the letters look THIN. That is the only way that I know to
> describe it. I changed the menu dpi setting down to 600 (and then
> 300), but that did not do the trick for me.

The IIIP was 300 dpi with Resolution Enhancement Technology to anti-
alias the jaggies on curved letters. Your 2300 will blow the IIIp out
of the water printing photos, but as you have discovered, is not much of
an improvement for text.

Congratulations on realizing that the per page costs of a laser printer
is minuscule compared to an inkjet. I have an old IIIp, 3 megs of ram
and the PostScript cartridge just for fun. I have lost count of the
cases of paper that have run through that printer, including acting for
3 years as a home office copy machine in conjunction with a ScanJet. If
I need to print pictures, I use an inkjet.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
!