Reading a Palm in direct Sunlight

March 10, 2005 1:50:16 PM

Why is it that newer Palm Pilots have color screens that cannot be
easily read in direct sunlight? I have a monochrome Palm Pilot with a
black and white screen and it is easily read in sunlight.

JOhn
--
1Cor. 1:18 ¶ For the message of the cross is foolishness to
those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it

This is a fairly complicated technical question to answer, so rather
than repeat the same information, I'd like to refer you to Alex Brin's
message "readability in sunlight?" in the comp.sys.laptops group on 13
May 2000 at 12:36 pm.

You can find it here via Google Groups:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.laptops/br...

If you're asking why Palm makes new devices with color screens rather
than monochrome screens, then that's a different question. Besides
being able to use the Palm Pilot for certain new applications (color
photo viewing, video playback, color charts, etc.) people generally
prefer color screens for both qualitative "feel" and other reasons
(using color to provide additional visual cues in the UI, having dark
black on bright white as opposed to "dark grey on light grey", etc.),
the LCD industry has been able to produce quality color displays with
high volume and low prices, and relatively few people have to use their
Palm Pilots in direct sunlight very often.

For what it's worth, whenever I've had to consult my Tungsten | C in a
bright environment I've found the display usable, although I admit to
sometimes turning it at an angle to the sun to improve the view. For
vertical market applications that demand constant use of the handheld
in the direct sun either a custom sun-shade or an older, monochrome
Palm Pilot should probably be used.
March 10, 2005 4:59:31 PM

Thank you. I've had this color problem with my new cell phone in direct
sunlight that I did not have with my old cell phone.

I often use my Palm in direct sunlight. I want to get a color device,
but am hesitant at this time. My cell is readable in direct sunlight,
but not great. I'd have to test the palm to see for myself, as their
are different variations of color screens.

John

In article <1110487317.908500.100920@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Sam Lipoff" <lipoff@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a fairly complicated technical question to answer, so rather
> than repeat the same information, I'd like to refer you to Alex Brin's
> message "readability in sunlight?" in the comp.sys.laptops group on 13
> May 2000 at 12:36 pm.
>
> You can find it here via Google Groups:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.laptops/br...
> 88d2ead3b546/24f9e9adad34bd03?tvc=2&q=monochrome+color+LCD+sunlight#24f9e9adad
> 34bd03
>
> If you're asking why Palm makes new devices with color screens rather
> than monochrome screens, then that's a different question. Besides
> being able to use the Palm Pilot for certain new applications (color
> photo viewing, video playback, color charts, etc.) people generally
> prefer color screens for both qualitative "feel" and other reasons
> (using color to provide additional visual cues in the UI, having dark
> black on bright white as opposed to "dark grey on light grey", etc.),
> the LCD industry has been able to produce quality color displays with
> high volume and low prices, and relatively few people have to use their
> Palm Pilots in direct sunlight very often.
>
> For what it's worth, whenever I've had to consult my Tungsten | C in a
> bright environment I've found the display usable, although I admit to
> sometimes turning it at an angle to the sun to improve the view. For
> vertical market applications that demand constant use of the handheld
> in the direct sun either a custom sun-shade or an older, monochrome
> Palm Pilot should probably be used.
--
1Cor. 1:18 ¶ For the message of the cross is foolishness to
those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it
is the power of God.
(Read John MacArthur's "Ashamed of the Gospel" when the church becomes like the world).
March 11, 2005 12:54:03 AM

"Sam Lipoff" <lipoff@gmail.com> wrote in

> If you're asking why Palm makes new devices with color screens rather
> than monochrome screens, then that's a different question.

The answer to that question is that people simply won't buy monochrome
devices these days. Color GPS receivers are selling at a much higher
rate than monochrome models, even at several times the price. The market
for monochrome devices of any sort is becoming very limited.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:24:54 AM

I can read my palm fine in direct sunlight, I just turn off the back light
of the screen.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:49:20 AM

Ah sunlight. That must be wonderful. Try living in England in the winter, it
is like living inside Tupperware. Grey, grey, grey.
Mick
"John" <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why is it that newer Palm Pilots have color screens that cannot be
> easily read in direct sunlight? I have a monochrome Palm Pilot with a
> black and white screen and it is easily read in sunlight.
>

> JOhn
> --
> 1Cor. 1:18 ¶ For the message of the cross is foolishness to
> those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it
> is the power of God.
> (Read John MacArthur's "Ashamed of the Gospel" when the church becomes
like the world).
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 8:38:47 AM

John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Why is it that newer Palm Pilots have color screens that cannot be
>easily read in direct sunlight?

My color Palms (TungE, Zire71, Zire72) are quite readable in direct sunlight.

>I have a monochrome Palm Pilot with a
>black and white screen and it is easily read in sunlight.

I will agree that for short use the mono Palm is easier to read in direct
sunlight. However for long use such as ebook reading by the pool in an Arizona
summer, the mono screen heats up and loses contrast making it difficult to read.
My color Palms don't seem to have this problem...
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 4:10:28 AM

** FOR SALE**

Palm and PPC Family "BrightSun Unit"

Do you have trouble reading and working with your Palm during the day?

Is "bright" sunlight a bother, when you are trying to record that urgent
note?

These easily adaptable units may be used with ALL Color Palm Handhelds, and
pocket pc's.

By using the "BrightSun Unit" you are able to operate your Palm with ease,
and true color definition, even during the midday sun.
Has(n't) been tested in The Sahara Desert, and in mid Arizona, during the
hours of 11:00 - 13:00 (Central Time)
You too can own the BrightSun Unit, for just 85Euro, including shipping.

(You could of course just stand in the shade!! :-)

Rhetoric gentlemen, pure rhetoric. Sorry, couldn't resist it (but I'm sure
some "smart a^$e" will market the idea. Worst of all, someone will probably
buy it too!!

"AaronJ" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
> John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Why is it that newer Palm Pilots have color screens that cannot be
> >easily read in direct sunlight?
>
> My color Palms (TungE, Zire71, Zire72) are quite readable in direct
sunlight.

> >I have a monochrome Palm Pilot with a
> >black and white screen and it is easily read in sunlight.
>
> I will agree that for short use the mono Palm is easier to read in direct
> sunlight. However for long use such as ebook reading by the pool in an
Arizona
> summer, the mono screen heats up and loses contrast making it difficult to
read.
> My color Palms don't seem to have this problem...
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:52:42 AM

My M515 is excellent in dircet sunlight my T3 almost useless.
!