Sign in with
Your question
Closed

IPS vs VA vs Others

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 23, 2013 1:18:58 AM

I am extremely confused with the different monitor panels, if they're even called panels. VA, IPS, TN, etc. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I read that IPS has the best color reproduction accuracy thing but they have a response time. Usually around 8ms response time. How does a, lets say 8ms, compare to a 2ms for FPS gaming when I will be constantly looking around and moving around (particularly with ghosting). All help is greatly appreciated.

More about : ips

a b C Monitor
February 23, 2013 3:00:09 AM

Essentially the 2 options with regards to panel type are TN and IPS. There are different variants of IPS panels but lets not go crazy here.

In general TN panels are cheaper, have a faster response time, but sacrifice color accuracy and viewing angle.

IPS panels are considered to have superior colors and angles, but have a lower response time.

So what does this mean

TN panels are best for the budget gamer. They have that nice fast response time, and most look pretty good., and the price is right.

IPS panels are more high end, slightly more expensive, but as with most things you get what you pay for. They do look noticeably better, and really anything under around 8ms response time you won't notice the difference, and no ghosting is really visible on a decent panel.

So basically shop around, read some reviews, and get what you can afford.
Score
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2013 3:01:07 AM

repost delete plz
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 23, 2013 3:04:24 AM

What about VA and PLS and maybe any others that I may have left out? They do seem like considerable options for a "cheap" monitor.
Score
a b C Monitor
February 25, 2013 6:05:48 AM

I believe PLS is a samsung developed variant of IPS, and I think that VA is mostly a TV style panel (I never see VA computer monitors so I really can't speak about it).

From what I've seen with computer monitors TN and IPS are the big two you need to worry about, then within IPS there is H-IPS, E-IPS, PLS, and the like, but likely at the lower end of the budget e-ips is what you're looking at.

If you have some extra cash IPS will serve you well, if not a TN panel is more than adequate.
Score

Best solution

a c 95 C Monitor
February 25, 2013 6:16:39 AM

- TN is what your basic monitor uses, its fast and cheap.
There are 120hz TN panels, can display an FPS up to 120 (vs the usual 60) but are of comparable cost to an IPS.

- IPS has much better colour reproduction, images will appear much more vivid. They have wider viewing angles and can be found in higher resolutions than TN, but are more expensive and have slower response times than TN.
If you'v ever used an Apple product with a Retina display, that's basically what IPS will be like.

- VA is a halfway point between TN and IPS, though as far as I'm aware there are few VA panel monitors in production anymore.

- PLS is basically IPS on steroids, even more colour, wider viewing angles and a much larger price tag.
February 25, 2013 9:51:35 PM

Anyone got a recommendation for a 24 inch, any version of IPS monitor for me? Preferably under $200 but $250 is okay if it's worth it.
Score
a b C Monitor
February 26, 2013 7:31:40 AM

My options for you are (I put mostly 23" somehow):
- LG IPS234V
- HP 23xi
- ASUS MX239H
- Dell U2312HM
- Dell U2412M - 16:10 ratio and a bit overbudget, but worth considering. (I ordered this one just a few days ago)

Edit/added:
I forgot to tell you...those 23" should fit more or less your budget :) 
Score
February 26, 2013 8:04:47 PM

Sorry forgot to include, Canadian prices please.
Score
February 28, 2013 1:50:04 AM

Best answer selected by completelyrandomname.
Score
!