Strange Fat Formation in Fallow Buck

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Hi Guys,
I was out stalking first light thismorning and shot a 2nd yr Fallow buck that
needed culling. As I was extremely late for one of our shoot days, I decided
not to gralloch the neast untill the afternoon.
Upon the gralloch I found that the intestines were incased in what I can only
describe as a see-through bag which had a web of fat running all through it...
a bit like a spiders web.... I've never come across this before and was
wondering if anybody on the NG has had any similar experiences?

TIA

Matt

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

flintwooduk@aol.com (FLINTWOODUK) wrote in

> Hi Guys,
> I was out stalking first light thismorning and shot a 2nd
> yr Fallow buck that needed culling. As I was extremely late
> for one of our shoot days, I decided not to gralloch the
> neast untill the afternoon. Upon the gralloch I found that
> the intestines were incased in what I can only describe as
> a see-through bag which had a web of fat running all
> through it... a bit like a spiders web.... I've never come
> across this before and was wondering if anybody on the NG
> has had any similar experiences?
>
> TIA
>
> Matt

Hi Matt,

This is perfectly normal. This is called mesentery. It is "a
fold of peritoneum attaching part of the intestinal canal to the
posterior wall of the abdomen".

Next time you shoot a rabbit, do some dissection. Fascinating
stuff in there!<g>

Derry

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Ive never really stopped and studied the guts derry, only normally to check for
any signs of TB or the like...... but the intestines were in like a see-through
bag and all this different strings of fat running on the surface - looked like
something out of a sci-fi film like alien or something!!

thanks for reassuring me though, can look forward to selling the meat now ;O)

Cheers

Matt