Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I have just built an AMD Athlon based system on the Asus A7M266 mainboard with a new 1.4GHz Athlon C and a Visiontek GeForce 3. I seem to be getting TERRIBLE scores in 3DMark 2001, around 2300, even after installing the AMD Win 2k patch, removing jumper VI01 from my mainboard to set correct DDR voltage and so on. I know this is completely abnormal, and was wondering what the problem might be. Here are my system specs:

Asus A7M266
AMD 1.4GHz Athlon C
2x256 DDR RAM (Mushkin CL=2)
Visiontek GeForce 3
Maxtor 7200 RPM Hard drive
Soundblaster X-Gamer 5.1
D-Link 10/100 Ethernet
Creative PC-DVD 12x
HP CD-RW 9100 series
Antec KS188 Case
Windows 2000 w/AMD AGP patch
12.41 Drivers for GeForce 3
80mm Intake, 80mm Exhaust
350watt PSU w/ two fans

Please help with this issue, as it is fairly major. I am wondering if this could be an issue with the 4-1 drivers by VIA or something like that. I have not updated my BIOS since I have bought it. Case and CPU temps are not an issue; it never locks up nor does it go slower over time. Any help is GREATLY appreciated

G

i would definetly update the bios first to see if that helps and see if there is a new 4-1 driver out. I dont have an A7M, so im no expert

XEnigma88

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2001
Sorry, this is my alter screen name; anyways I have the latest BIOS, but have not installed the 4-1's nor the AMD driver pack or AGP miniport driver. What exactly do I install out of these?

G

maybe you should install a swifty on there :)

/Please God... Change the Sig O' the Week/

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you have an AMD northbridge. Don't get the 4-in-1 drivers as they are for VIA only. Get your drivers here http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/bin/

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

G

Exactly.. also, these drivers should be supplied with the motherboard on a CD. Why is it that everyone installs video drivers when they buy a new 3D card, but dont install drivers for a motherboard ? Read the manual, it will tell you need to install the drivers from the CD. Of course you can (and would better) download the newest ones online, but at the very least insert the frigging CD into your drive.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yeah, jesus. It's like, I JUST HOOKED UP THIS NEW LEET SYSTEM AND I KNOW HOW TO BENCHMARK WITH 3DMARK2001, BUT I DONT EVEN KNOW TO INSTALL 4 IN 1'S OR AGP MINIPORT DRIVER WHICH CAME ON MY CD!.

What I am confused about is why would someone run 3dmark2001 but not even know about agp drivers for motherboards, I was under the impression 3dmark2001, is a hardcore overclockers benchmark. ::shrugs::

to the origional poster,
the drivers you need are indeed on the motherboards cd, or you can download the latest versions.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

>THG's reviews are the key to become a computer hardware pro!!!

You dont really believe that yourself, do you ?

>-Latest driver for Ethernet card
>-Latest firmware and driver for DVD and CD-RW
>-All the Win 2000 updates you can get and download VM as >well (Vitual Machine)

Yeah, Im pretty sure thats gonna help his 3D Mark score.. especially the DVD firmware is known to have a HUGE impact on 3D performance.

If it aint broke, dont fix it. If there is nothing wrong the DVD or CD, *dont* upgrade the firmware. It can ruin the drive, and void your warranty.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip