ok, someone answer me this

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
from Intel Mobile PIII Datasheet...
3.1.3 Catastrophic Thermal Protection
The mobile Pentium III processor does not support catastrophic thermal protection or the THERMTRIP# signal. An external thermal sensor must be used to protect the processor and the system against excessive temperatures.
does this mean what I think it means?

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
it can meltdown thats all. But its almost impossible since it uses low voltage. Well only way to do that is overclock it.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
first off, I asked about the desktop processor...
secondly, you're both wrong here.
1.65v for the PIII 700 desktop, only took me 2 minutes to verify that, 1.6v for a PIII mobile, 1.35 in speedstep mode.
the 1Ghz mobile Coppermine uses 1.7v, the PIII-M(I actually had to look this one up) uses 1.4v normal and 1.15v in speedstep mode.
c'mon guys, I don't need speculation from guys that know less than me, no offense, but I was hoping someone a tad more experienced would pitch in here.
so, the mobile PIII has no thermal protection?
the one type of processor most likely to cook itself to death has no thermal protection? really smart...
btw, it can be overclocked easily, and that's all I'm gonna say right now. :)

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

G

Try 1.65v and up guys.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, the 700E uses Either 1.65v OR 1.70v, depending on whether it's cBO or cCO. Same with the 1GHz. And both desktop versions have catastrophic thermal protection. Typical PIII desktop chips overclock to 980MHz, with some reaching up to 1.06GHz. And there's always the chance that extreme voltage can make it go higher-I have had my 700 well over 1.1GHz at well over 2 volts. Typically I recommend the 700 more than the 750 because it is FAR more likely to accept an overclock to 133FSB.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

TRENDING THREADS