Sign in with
Your question

W7 installation problem

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 29, 2013 9:06:02 AM

Hello, I've got problems with my W7 not booting up and startup repair cannnot repair all this (I ran it for 8 hours 'till it finished and reported unsucessful attempt).

I've tried many console commands... Like CHKDSK /R; Bcdboot C:\windows created a boot dir. /fixmbr was sucessful, but /fixboot returned „volume does not contain a recognized file system“. /rebuildbcd and /scanos returned 0 windows installations found. Both completed sucessfully, but no positive results.

My HDD is divided in 3 parts: C 230GB; D 230GB; E 25GB. Currently W7 is installed in C:. Can I install another (probably working) copy in E partition without losing content in C and D? There's some very important stuff inside.

Overall, I've tried a lot, but to no avail. Are there potential solutions to this problem without affecting my personal files?

Thanks for the help.

More about : installation problem

a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 1:53:03 PM

Hello... could you get another Hardrive for a successful Windows install?... can you Plug your hardrive into another Computer to get your important data off of it?

At this point there is a problem with the drive/Data... and any further installs and fixes could render your "Important data" farther from recovery.
Related resources
January 29, 2013 3:55:28 PM

phil22 said:
Possible hard drive failure. Test it with the drive maker's diagnostic software for DOS. The links are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

You will need to create a CD from the diagnostic software ISO file, using IMGBurn on a working computer:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

Boot your faulty PC from that CD and the diagnostic program will open. Test with Long/extended test.

Thanks for the tips. Not sure about HDD failure. There's no usual weird sounds inside the laptop and I can move files from my system to an external drive. HDD is Samsung and laptop Acer V3-571G. Perhaps a clean W7 install on C partition will suffice? I'm already working on it. But need a confirmation from a knowledgeable person.

@IronSounds: Well, already moving important files from 1 location to another... Hopefully, for the best.
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 4:15:58 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
February 2, 2013 9:55:33 AM

I've backed up all impordant data on an external drive and did a clean W7 reinstall on C: partition. Then used HD Tune to test laptop's HDD and all measurements were fine. No idea what could've caused that W7 crash... :/ 

Anyway, thanks for the help, everyone!
!