Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Greetings,
Somewhat of a newbie question, but, could some of you with some experience
please tell me...
What is your normal methods of dealing with rabbits from the moment of
pulling the trigger to sitting down to eat them. ie when do you gut, skin
etc and do you hang them if so how long and what sort of place. Also ideas
and advice about the best bits for eating and what not to bother with.
Many thanks

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"ablackrat" <ablackrat@hotmail.com> wrote in

> What is your normal methods of dealing with rabbits from the moment
> of pulling the trigger to sitting down to eat them. Ie

There are two main things to think of in the field, first is disease and
second meat preservation which is especially true if the rabbit meat is
destined for human consumption.

> when do you gut,

First things first, expel the urine.
Then, remove intestines, stomach, lights. I personally prefer to open
the rabbit right up and examine the heart and lung cavity.
Check the intestines/body for any signs of disease.
It is at this point, contamination can make the meat useless, so one
must make sure that the process is done correctly and also environmental
contamination is kept to zero.
The rabbit is then left to cool. That is to say it is normally hung in a
tree (time of year / weather permitting) with a cool air flow
circulating the carcass. NB no two carcasses should touch in this
process.

>skin etc

It depends on the time of day / night, for example if I have had a good
session with the lamp, which may result in fifty or so rabbits, then I
will skin the whole lot next morning. If I have had a quick sortie just
before dusk, then I’ll skin the rabbit/s and cook a rabbit for the
dogs’ tea. I guess it comes down to time, but in any case you should
skin ASAP.

> and do you hang them if so how long and what sort of
> place.

Rabbits are best eaten and not hung. Even in the fridge rabbits will not
keep.
So, hang for as short a period as possible and only then until you can
skin the carcass.

> Also ideas and advice about the best bits for eating and what
> not to bother with. Many thanks

In my opinion then best bits are the back legs and the saddle, then the
back (two strips of meat running up either side of the spine). The front
always goes to the dogs as there is little or no meat. The heart goes to
the ferrets and the kidneys normally get fried up with my bacon for
breakfast.
Of course it depends upon what meal you are going to cook, for example
if you are cooking a stew, then use the whole carcass and separate
afterwards.

John

ablackrat wrote:
> Greetings,
> Somewhat of a newbie question, but, could some of you with some experience
> please tell me...
> What is your normal methods of dealing with rabbits from the moment of
> pulling the trigger to sitting down to eat them. ie when do you gut, skin
> etc and do you hang them if so how long and what sort of place. Also ideas
> and advice about the best bits for eating and what not to bother with.
> Many thanks

I have a small video, I made myself, which shows the process
www.ukrabbiter.co.uk/videos.htm

--
Andy (UK_Rabbiter)
Creator, Manager & Moderator of Rabbit Hunters

"Andy www.ukrabbiter.co.uk" <andy@ukrabbiter.co.uk> wrote in message
> ablackrat wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > Somewhat of a newbie question, but, could some of you with some
experience
> > please tell me...
> > What is your normal methods of dealing with rabbits from the moment of
> > pulling the trigger to sitting down to eat them. ie when do you gut,
skin
> > etc and do you hang them if so how long and what sort of place. Also
ideas
> > and advice about the best bits for eating and what not to bother with.
> > Many thanks
>
> I have a small video, I made myself, which shows the process
> www.ukrabbiter.co.uk/videos.htm
>
> --
> Andy (UK_Rabbiter)
> Creator, Manager & Moderator of Rabbit Hunters
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/Rabbit
> http://groups.msn.com/RabbitHunters
> http://s7.invisionfree.com/Rabbit_Hunters
> My site
> www.ukrabbiter.co.uk
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/ukrabbiter/

Brilliant video Andy- shows how out of practise I am. I swear I could smell
the bunny it was making me quite queasy in a my little office I have
paunched a few in the field when we have had a long trip home on a hot day
not at all pleasant!
Derek