Hello,
how to change 32-bit to 64-bit in windows 7
28 answers Last reply
More about change windows
  1. Install Windows 7 64-bit.
  2. mani1995 said:
    Hello,
    how to change 32-bit to 64-bit in windows 7

There is no upgrade path between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows. To change from one to the other requires a complete installation of the desired version.
  3. COLGeek said:
    There is no upgrade path between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows. To change from one to the other requires a complete installation of the desired version.

Which really sucks, huh. You'd think they'd have worked it out by now. Or maybe they don't want to, because people will buy an upgrade... Greedy bastards!
  4. if they wanted to force people to upgrade they wouldnt make 32 bit keys usable for the 64 bit version while releasing free downloads
  5. neon neophyte said:
    if they wanted to force people to upgrade they wouldnt make 32 bit keys usable for the 64 bit version while releasing free downloads

They don't release free downloads of their OS. The community goes about making that possible.
  6. MatildaPersson said:
    Which really sucks, huh. You'd think they'd have worked it out by now. Or maybe they don't want to, because people will buy an upgrade... Greedy bastards!

You can actually use the same product key on the same computer when going from 32-bit to 64-bit (or vice versa), so no additional costs (other than the time to install) are required.

There is no upgrade/downgrade path because they are essentially different operating system (to keep the discussion simple) baselines.
  7. no, they were officially released from microsoft. they were even available on the microsoft site for a time.

the reason they do it is because windows comes with a trial period.
  8. neon neophyte said:
    no, they were officially released from microsoft. they were even available on the microsoft site for a time.

the reason they do it is because windows comes with a trial period.

Yes. A trial period that -- as the name implies -- ends and then you... pay for it! Nothing impressive about a free demo lol
  9. its the full version of windows, it is exactly the same as the retail dvd. which is the point. all you have to do is enter your key. the point is that the full retail version were released by microsoft for download.
  10. COLGeek said:
    You can actually use the same product key on the same computer when going from 32-bit to 64-bit (or vice versa), so no additional costs (other than the time to install) are required.

There is no upgrade/downgrade path because they are essentially different operating system (to keep the discussion simple) baselines.

But they also often sell the versions separately. Now, like the OP here, I'm guess most people would simply buy a new OS in this case. Microsoft couldn't get away with outwardly forcing it, but this ignorance works nicely for their bottom line ;P
  11. MatildaPersson said:
    Yes. A trial period that -- as the name implies -- ends and then you... pay for it! Nothing impressive about a free demo lol

Thus, there is no free version of Windows. A trial product does not equate to a free product. To continue use beyond the trial period requires purchasing a license.
  12. COLGeek said:
    Thus, there is no free version of Windows. A trial product does not equate to a free product. To continue use beyond the trial period requires purchasing a license.

Or breaking the law.

Don't do that one.
  13. holy hell matilda...

your 32 bit key is usable for the 64 bit operating system. microsoft released all versions of windows 7 for free download. all you have to do is put your 32 bit windows 7 key into your newly downloaded 64 bit windows.

how do you have so much trouble following along
  14. MatildaPersson said:

Except your license has always been good for both versions since XP, and the product key works on both versions, and you can go back and forth all you want, and of COURSE all the files and OS structure need replaced to go from a 32 bit environment to 64 bit, and the official ISOs are online for free from digital river. I.e. microsofts distributor

So... Who on earth would but an "upgrade" for something they already own? Especially considering you CAN'T do an upgrade from 32 to 64? What are you complaining about again?
  15. unksol said:
    Except your license has always been good for both versions since XP, and the product key works on both versions, and you can go back and forth all you want, and of COURSE all the files and OS structure need replaced to go from a 32 bit environment to 64 bit, and the official ISOs are online for free from digital river.

So... Who on earth would but an "upgrade" for something they already own? Especially considering you CAN'T do an upgrade from 32 to 64? What are you complaining about again?

Mmm, but, like the OP, how many people know that? Microsoft can't get away with not allowing the keys to work for both versions, but this ignorance of compatibility does the same job; people want 64x? "Guess I'll buy the new OS."

MS gets to have it both ways.
  16. they could very easily get away with not allowing a 32bit key to work for the 64bit version. especially according to you, because apparently nobody knows they work anyway, right? lol

dont mind matilda, this person makes a mess of every concept ive seen them talk about in various threads.
  17. neon neophyte said:
    they could very easily get away with not allowing a 32bit key to work for the 64bit version. especially according to you, because apparently nobody knows they work anyway, right? lol

dont mind matilda, this person makes a mess of every concept ive seen them talk about in various threads.

No, because people that do know better -- the entire IT industry -- would go to town on them and the publicity and potential law suits would be ugly for MS.

Try again ;D
  18. actually microsoft didnt allow 32 bit keys to work on 64 bit operating systems for a long time
  19. neon neophyte said:
    actually microsoft didnt allow 32 bit keys to work on 64 bit operating systems for a long time

And why do you think they do now? Out of the kindness of their heart? Ha!

You're a carnival barker's dream.
  20. this coming from the person that thinks theyre greedy bastards because people would have to "upgrade and pay" to go from a 32 bit operating system to a 64 bit operating system even though 32 bit keys work on 64 bit operating systems. they even include the 64 bit version of windows on most 32 bit dvds. they even offer all versions of windows as a free download.

but you think its all some big scam so users will pay to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. *eyeroll*
  21. neon neophyte said:
    this coming from the person that thinks theyre greedy bastards because people would have to "upgrade and pay" to go from a 32 bit operating system to a 64 bit operating system even though 32 bit keys work on 64 bit operating systems. they even include the 64 bit version of windows on most 32 bit dvds. they even offer all versions of windows as a free download.

but you think its all some big scam so users will pay to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. *eyeroll*

They do pay to upgrade. If you think the general public doesn't, you are indeed in denial. People buy AMD processors still simply because they have eight cores. Go to eBay and look for gaming PCs. Notice how the vast majority of them state that they are "i7's" and have no GPU or a terrible GPU? Because people believe "i7" means better.

People pay to upgrade their OS. They don't do it because they have to. They do it because people pay a lot in advertising and marketing for them to think they need to.
  22. neon neophyte said:
    holy hell matilda...

your 32 bit key is usable for the 64 bit operating system. microsoft released all versions of windows 7 for free download. all you have to do is put your 32 bit windows 7 key into your newly downloaded 64 bit windows.

how do you have so much trouble following along

You need to consider all the options and read up on your information. Microsoft only releases a "free" OS in one of two ways, nothing more.

The first way is via beta testing or R# options. This is a very basic installation of the next big OS or program they are working with and is usually EXTREMELY buggy whereas M$ does release a key with it but it usually is limited.

The second method is by trial usage. When you download a trial program, whether it be OS or software bundle, from M$ it will always have a date line attached to it, it could be anywhere from 30 days (OSs) to 120 days (Office).

MatildaPersson said:
    Mmm, but, like the OP, how many people know that? Microsoft can't get away with not allowing the keys to work for both versions, but this ignorance of compatibility does the same job; people want 64x? "Guess I'll buy the new OS."

MS gets to have it both ways.

Do we need to schedule a room for you two?

@OP:
    Plain and simple, When Windows Vista, 7, and 8 all released they have been released with 2 DVDs, one that is 32-bit and one that is 64-bit, that both work with the product key that came with them in the package. There is no upgrade path from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit or vise versa. This is due to different items built into the kernel (the programming part) of the operating system itself. Microsoft's ISO vendor, Digital River, does indeed offer an online source for someone to download the ISO of which ever OS they are trying to use, but they DO NOT provide product keys.

However you go about obtaining your product key, we at Tom's Hardware recommend and support buying the actual product whether it be retail or OEM. You can find more information in regards to the different versions of Windows 7 HERE.

It should be noted that we DO NOT support piracy in any form or fashion, there are methods but you will not receive help from someone here in regards to it.
  23. microsoft includes the 64 bit version of windows on the same dvd as the 32 bit version and allows your key to work for either.

your claim is therefor false.

edit: i didnt say having use of the full version of windows was free. i said the download was free. if you have a key, you can download the full release version of windows for free and use your key. that is all i said.
  24. MatildaPersson said:
    And why do you think they do now? Out of the kindness of their heart? Ha!

You're a carnival barker's dream.

I am confused here... What your saying that the biggest OS in the world is making decisions because according to you the few people in the know would get mad about? The fact of the matter is MS can basically do whatever they want.

What you are saying is "because its not in your face and has red warning labels when you try purchasing a 64bit copy, its thievery". A simply google search will tell you what you need to know before purchasing a new copy of something you already have.

Thats just... its... just.... but... and... (brain explodes)
  25. neon neophyte said:
    microsoft includes the 64 bit version of windows on the same dvd as the 32 bit version and allows your key to work for either.

edit: i didnt say having use of the full version of windows was free. i said the download was free. if you have a key, you can download the full release version of windows for free and use your key. that is all i said.

They also sell them separately.

You can add "learn to know the things I speak on" to your list of jobs, right next to "learn to spell."
  26. mouse24 said:
    I am confused here... What your saying that the biggest OS in the world is making decisions because according to you the few people in the know would get mad about? The fact of the matter is MS can basically do whatever they want.

What you are saying is "because its not in your face and has red warning labels when you try purchasing a 64bit copy, its thievery". A simply google search will tell you what you need to know before purchasing a new copy of something you already have.

Thats just... its... just.... but... and... (brain explodes)

Whatever they want? Oh god no. More people own Apple devices than Windows devices. Microsoft is in catchup mode -- they need to appear as for the customer as possible.
  27. neon neophyte said:
    microsoft includes the 64 bit version of windows on the same dvd as the 32 bit version and allows your key to work for either.

There are typically two (2) DVDs in a OS package, whether it be retail or OEM, one for the 32-bit version and one for the 64-bit version.

There recently was a known issue in regards to Microsoft QA letting some packages slip through with 2 32-bit DVDs versus the typical setup. Very, very confusing.
  28. i already know how to spell. fact is this is a forum on the internet. i often type in short hand. i dont use capitals or apostrophes. i make typos without correcting them. the point is to convey my message quickly and that is all. this isnt a paper being graded. i dont care what you think of it.

tell me to learn to spell a 5th time. see how much i change.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7