julian814@hotmail.com wrote:

> There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
> D&D.
>
> http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981

I love that quote:

"I mean, you have many, many stab wounds and those 'Dungeons and
Dragons' fantasy games involve swords and knives and daggers and things
of that nature. There may be a connection but I can’t say for sure.”

or to make it sound stupid:

"Apples are red. That pepper thing is red (I think). Peppers must be
some type of apple. I can't be sure about that, though."

I guess I do have to take comfort in the fact that he subtly admits he
has no idea what the hell he's talking about. Maybe he'll get educated.
Then he'll find out the game has more to do with satanic rituals to
gain magical power than it does with stabbing people. ;-)

Makes me wonder if they'll make a big deal should he also turn out to be
a fan of swashbuckling fantasy movies, Shakespeare, or any other
dramatic genre that features many sword fights and people getting impaled.

-Tialan

No 33 Secretary wrote:
> julian814@hotmail.com wrote in
>
> > Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by
now.

> > There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were
linked by
> > D&D.
> >
> > http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981
> >
> From the comments I've seen on this in the Hero Games forums, they've
been
> straightened out.

Oh, good. That's a relief. Thanks, Terry.

Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:36:33 GMT, scrawled:

> Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by now.
>
> There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
> D&D.
>
> http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981
>

> Ralph Glatt
>
> Member, Old Farts Club

Quote:

Castor (below right) says the motive appears to be jealousy, but they are
also looking into some sort of connection with the fantasy role-playing
game ”Dungeons and Dragons”:

"I mean, you have many, many stab wounds and those 'Dungeons and Dragons'
fantasy games involve swords and knives and daggers and things of that
nature. There may be a connection but I can’t say for sure.”

Obviously when they played D&D, they were actually using real swords and
daggers, rather than just imagining that their characters were. Yes, that
must be it.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 04:36:33 -0800, julian814 wrote:

> Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by now.
>
> There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
> D&D.
>
> http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981

Questions of stupidity aside, what the heck is a DA doing trying to find
an excuse for the creep he's prosecuting. Does this chap have a grudge
against RPGs or something?

Rob

"Rexx Magnus" wrote
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:36:33 GMT, scrawled:
>
> > Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by now.
> >
> > There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
> > D&D.
> >
> > http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981
> >

> Quote:
>
> Castor (below right) says the motive appears to be jealousy, but they are
> also looking into some sort of connection with the fantasy role-playing
> game "Dungeons and Dragons":
>
> "I mean, you have many, many stab wounds and those 'Dungeons and Dragons'
> fantasy games involve swords and knives and daggers and things of that
> nature. There may be a connection but I can't say for sure."
>
> Obviously when they played D&D, they were actually using real swords and
> daggers, rather than just imagining that their characters were. Yes, that
> must be it.

He must be referring to the well known fact that imagining something leads
to doing it. This is easily illustrated by the vast numbers of present day
cops and robbers who played 'cops and robbers' during childhood.
:p

John

julian814@hotmail.com wrote in

> Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by now.
>
> There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
> D&D.
>
> http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981

From the comments I've seen on this in the Hero Games forums, they've been
straightened out.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com

> From the comments I've seen on this in the Hero Games forums, they've been
> straightened out.
>
> --
> Terry Austin
> www.hyperbooks.com
> Campaign Cartographer now available

Might you have a link to the thread(s) on these forums? I'd like to read
about this "straightening out".

--

Argentium Helm

On 31 Mar 2005 04:36:33 -0800, julian814@hotmail.com scribed into the
ether:

>Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by now.
>
>There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
>D&D.
>
>http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981

Gotta watch out for those 3 year old munchkins. I'm sure that the kid had
it coming for sneaking a peak behind the DM screen.

"Argentium Helm" <argentiumhelm@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

>> From the comments I've seen on this in the Hero Games forums, they've
>> been straightened out.
>>
>> --
>> Terry Austin
>> www.hyperbooks.com
>> Campaign Cartographer now available
>

> Might you have a link to the thread(s) on these forums? I'd like to
> read about this "straightening out".

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29948

Last post.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available

JF

No 33 Secretary wrote:
> "Argentium Helm" <argentiumhelm@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

>>Might you have a link to the thread(s) on these forums? I'd like to
>>read about this "straightening out".
>>

> http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29948
>
> Last post.

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10617&start=47
A user on Dragonsfoot emailed the DA and got this reply:

Thank you for your thoughtful e-mail. The three adult victims and the
defendant were all devotees of fantasy role playing games. In fact, the
defendant was obsessed with them. When we searched his room, we found
cards, figurines, posters, clothing and other things related to killing
by stabbing in the context of role playing littered everywhere. We also
recovered several dozen swords, knives and daggers which would have been
at home in Lord of the Rings. The day of the most recent killings, he
told his mother that he was going out to play dungeons and dragons.
Thus, what concerns me is not the game itself, but his preoccupation
with it. Clearly the game didn't cause the murders. What I want to
explore is whether his fascination with it blurred his sense of reality
because of his own emotional and personal problems.

Bruce L. Castor, Jr.

District Attorney

No 33 Secretary wrote:
> "Argentium Helm" <argentiumhelm@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
>
> >> From the comments I've seen on this in the Hero Games forums,
they've
> >> been straightened out.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Terry Austin
> >> www.hyperbooks.com
> >> Campaign Cartographer now available
> >

> > Might you have a link to the thread(s) on these forums? I'd like
> > read about this "straightening out".
> >
> http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29948
>
> Last post.

Someone on Delphi mentioned that he'd heard that Mike Stackpole had
been brought in on this, as well, so you *know* they've been
straightened out properly.

Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club

JF <jmf@queens.ca> wrote in

> No 33 Secretary wrote:
>> "Argentium Helm" <argentiumhelm@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
>
>>>Might you have a link to the thread(s) on these forums? I'd like to
>>>read about this "straightening out".
>>>

>> http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29948
>>
>> Last post.
>>
> http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10617&start=47
> A user on Dragonsfoot emailed the DA and got this reply:
>
> Thank you for your thoughtful e-mail. The three adult victims and the
> defendant were all devotees of fantasy role playing games. In fact, the
> defendant was obsessed with them. When we searched his room, we found
> cards, figurines, posters, clothing and other things related to killing
> by stabbing in the context of role playing littered everywhere. We also
> recovered several dozen swords, knives and daggers which would have been
> at home in Lord of the Rings. The day of the most recent killings, he
> told his mother that he was going out to play dungeons and dragons.
> Thus, what concerns me is not the game itself, but his preoccupation
> with it. Clearly the game didn't cause the murders. What I want to
> explore is whether his fascination with it blurred his sense of reality
> because of his own emotional and personal problems.
>
> Bruce L. Castor, Jr.
>
> District Attorney

The important point is the news coverage dropping the obsession with
gaming.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/

Tialan wrote:
> julian814@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were
linked by
> > D&D.
> >
> > http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981
>
> I love that quote:
>
> "I mean, you have many, many stab wounds and those 'Dungeons and
> Dragons' fantasy games involve swords and knives and daggers and
things
> of that nature. There may be a connection but I can't say for
sure."

> or to make it sound stupid:
>
> "Apples are red. That pepper thing is red (I think). Peppers must
be
> some type of apple. I can't be sure about that, though."
>
> I guess I do have to take comfort in the fact that he subtly admits
he
> has no idea what the hell he's talking about. Maybe he'll get
educated.
> Then he'll find out the game has more to do with satanic rituals to

> gain magical power than it does with stabbing people. ;-)
>
> Makes me wonder if they'll make a big deal should he also turn out to
be
> a fan of swashbuckling fantasy movies, Shakespeare, or any other
> dramatic genre that features many sword fights and people getting
impaled.

What if the guy was also a fan of police dramas and war films? Lots of
cop films show that violence is the only way to solve problems.

JF wrote:
> http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10617&start=47
> A user on Dragonsfoot emailed the DA and got this reply:
>
> Thank you for your thoughtful e-mail. The three adult victims and the
> defendant were all devotees of fantasy role playing games. In fact, the
> defendant was obsessed with them. When we searched his room, we found
> cards, figurines, posters, clothing and other things related to killing
> by stabbing in the context of role playing littered everywhere.

Cards, figurines, posters, and other things: check. I no longer
have clothes with DnD type prints on them.

> We also recovered several dozen swords, knives and daggers which would
> have been at home in Lord of the Rings.

If I could afford to throw away money on a sword, I probably would.
I certainly didn't have anything but admiration for the ones I've seen
in fellow players possesion. Cooler than a $++ car sterio at least.
The guy that disturbed me was the one who didn't seem to realise
the pellet gun could injure someone.

> The day of the most recent killings, he told his mother that he was
> going out to play dungeons and dragons.

Perhaps that's the reason he always gives to his parents when
leaving the basement? 8]

> Thus, what concerns me is not the game itself, but his preoccupation
> with it. Clearly the game didn't cause the murders. What I want to
> explore is whether his fascination with it blurred his sense of reality
> because of his own emotional and personal problems.
>
> Bruce L. Castor, Jr.
>
> District Attorney

While I'm aware that insane people play DnD too (even if they do
have trouble staying in a group), it's not nessisarily true that this
guy had a "blurred sense of reality" (presuming, you know, innocence).

I hope they've got some real evidence, not much of that should see
the light of day in a courtroom; unless, say, his knife matches the wounds.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.

Rump Ranger wrote:
> Tialan wrote:
>

>>Makes me wonder if they'll make a big deal should he also turn out to
>
> be
>
>>a fan of swashbuckling fantasy movies, Shakespeare, or any other
>>dramatic genre that features many sword fights and people getting
>
> impaled.
>

> What if the guy was also a fan of police dramas and war films? Lots of
> cop films show that violence is the only way to solve problems.

But how much stabbing? :)

'Cause it appears this guy likes stabbing.

I suppose there's SOME stabbing in those films, though. Oh, well.

- Tialan