Here We Go Again

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by now.

There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
D&D.

http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981


Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club
15 answers Last reply
More about here again
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    julian814@hotmail.com wrote:

    > There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
    > D&D.
    >
    > http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981

    I love that quote:

    "I mean, you have many, many stab wounds and those 'Dungeons and
    Dragons' fantasy games involve swords and knives and daggers and things
    of that nature. There may be a connection but I can’t say for sure.”

    or to make it sound stupid:

    "Apples are red. That pepper thing is red (I think). Peppers must be
    some type of apple. I can't be sure about that, though."

    I guess I do have to take comfort in the fact that he subtly admits he
    has no idea what the hell he's talking about. Maybe he'll get educated.
    Then he'll find out the game has more to do with satanic rituals to
    gain magical power than it does with stabbing people. ;-)

    Makes me wonder if they'll make a big deal should he also turn out to be
    a fan of swashbuckling fantasy movies, Shakespeare, or any other
    dramatic genre that features many sword fights and people getting impaled.

    -Tialan
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    No 33 Secretary wrote:
    > julian814@hotmail.com wrote in
    > news:1112272593.632042.81020@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by
    now.
    > >
    > > There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were
    linked by
    > > D&D.
    > >
    > > http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981
    > >
    > From the comments I've seen on this in the Hero Games forums, they've
    been
    > straightened out.

    Oh, good. That's a relief. Thanks, Terry.


    Ralph Glatt

    Member, Old Farts Club
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:36:33 GMT, scrawled:

    > Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by now.
    >
    > There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
    > D&D.
    >
    > http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981
    >
    >
    >
    > Ralph Glatt
    >
    > Member, Old Farts Club
    >
    >
    Quote:

    Castor (below right) says the motive appears to be jealousy, but they are
    also looking into some sort of connection with the fantasy role-playing
    game ”Dungeons and Dragons”:

    "I mean, you have many, many stab wounds and those 'Dungeons and Dragons'
    fantasy games involve swords and knives and daggers and things of that
    nature. There may be a connection but I can’t say for sure.”
    ....


    Obviously when they played D&D, they were actually using real swords and
    daggers, rather than just imagining that their characters were. Yes, that
    must be it.

    --
    http://www.rexx.co.uk

    To email me, visit the site.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 04:36:33 -0800, julian814 wrote:

    > Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by now.
    >
    > There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
    > D&D.
    >
    > http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981

    Questions of stupidity aside, what the heck is a DA doing trying to find
    an excuse for the creep he's prosecuting. Does this chap have a grudge
    against RPGs or something?

    Rob
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    "Rexx Magnus" wrote
    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:36:33 GMT, scrawled:
    >
    > > Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by now.
    > >
    > > There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
    > > D&D.
    > >
    > > http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981
    > >
    > >
    > Quote:
    >
    > Castor (below right) says the motive appears to be jealousy, but they are
    > also looking into some sort of connection with the fantasy role-playing
    > game "Dungeons and Dragons":
    >
    > "I mean, you have many, many stab wounds and those 'Dungeons and Dragons'
    > fantasy games involve swords and knives and daggers and things of that
    > nature. There may be a connection but I can't say for sure."
    > ...
    >
    > Obviously when they played D&D, they were actually using real swords and
    > daggers, rather than just imagining that their characters were. Yes, that
    > must be it.

    He must be referring to the well known fact that imagining something leads
    to doing it. This is easily illustrated by the vast numbers of present day
    cops and robbers who played 'cops and robbers' during childhood.
    :p


    John
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    julian814@hotmail.com wrote in
    news:1112272593.632042.81020@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by now.
    >
    > There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
    > D&D.
    >
    > http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981
    >
    From the comments I've seen on this in the Hero Games forums, they've been
    straightened out.

    --
    Terry Austin
    www.hyperbooks.com
    Campaign Cartographer now available
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    > From the comments I've seen on this in the Hero Games forums, they've been
    > straightened out.
    >
    > --
    > Terry Austin
    > www.hyperbooks.com
    > Campaign Cartographer now available


    Might you have a link to the thread(s) on these forums? I'd like to read
    about this "straightening out".

    --


    Argentium Helm
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    On 31 Mar 2005 04:36:33 -0800, julian814@hotmail.com scribed into the
    ether:

    >Found this article elsewhere. You'd think people would learn by now.
    >
    >There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were linked by
    >D&D.
    >
    >http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981

    Gotta watch out for those 3 year old munchkins. I'm sure that the kid had
    it coming for sneaking a peak behind the DM screen.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    "Argentium Helm" <argentiumhelm@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
    news:DlZ2e.140340$gJ3.28740@clgrps13:

    >> From the comments I've seen on this in the Hero Games forums, they've
    >> been straightened out.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Terry Austin
    >> www.hyperbooks.com
    >> Campaign Cartographer now available
    >
    >
    > Might you have a link to the thread(s) on these forums? I'd like to
    > read about this "straightening out".
    >
    http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29948

    Last post.

    --
    Terry Austin
    www.hyperbooks.com
    Campaign Cartographer now available
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    No 33 Secretary wrote:
    > "Argentium Helm" <argentiumhelm@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

    >>Might you have a link to the thread(s) on these forums? I'd like to
    >>read about this "straightening out".
    >>
    >
    > http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29948
    >
    > Last post.
    >
    http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10617&start=47
    A user on Dragonsfoot emailed the DA and got this reply:

    Thank you for your thoughtful e-mail. The three adult victims and the
    defendant were all devotees of fantasy role playing games. In fact, the
    defendant was obsessed with them. When we searched his room, we found
    cards, figurines, posters, clothing and other things related to killing
    by stabbing in the context of role playing littered everywhere. We also
    recovered several dozen swords, knives and daggers which would have been
    at home in Lord of the Rings. The day of the most recent killings, he
    told his mother that he was going out to play dungeons and dragons.
    Thus, what concerns me is not the game itself, but his preoccupation
    with it. Clearly the game didn't cause the murders. What I want to
    explore is whether his fascination with it blurred his sense of reality
    because of his own emotional and personal problems.

    Bruce L. Castor, Jr.

    District Attorney
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    No 33 Secretary wrote:
    > "Argentium Helm" <argentiumhelm@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
    > news:DlZ2e.140340$gJ3.28740@clgrps13:
    >
    > >> From the comments I've seen on this in the Hero Games forums,
    they've
    > >> been straightened out.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Terry Austin
    > >> www.hyperbooks.com
    > >> Campaign Cartographer now available
    > >
    > >
    > > Might you have a link to the thread(s) on these forums? I'd like
    to
    > > read about this "straightening out".
    > >
    > http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29948
    >
    > Last post.

    Someone on Delphi mentioned that he'd heard that Mike Stackpole had
    been brought in on this, as well, so you *know* they've been
    straightened out properly.


    Ralph Glatt

    Member, Old Farts Club
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    JF <jmf@queens.ca> wrote in
    news:Xs23e.4411$x8.927938@news20.bellglobal.com:

    > No 33 Secretary wrote:
    >> "Argentium Helm" <argentiumhelm@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
    >
    >>>Might you have a link to the thread(s) on these forums? I'd like to
    >>>read about this "straightening out".
    >>>
    >>
    >> http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29948
    >>
    >> Last post.
    >>
    > http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10617&start=47
    > A user on Dragonsfoot emailed the DA and got this reply:
    >
    > Thank you for your thoughtful e-mail. The three adult victims and the
    > defendant were all devotees of fantasy role playing games. In fact, the
    > defendant was obsessed with them. When we searched his room, we found
    > cards, figurines, posters, clothing and other things related to killing
    > by stabbing in the context of role playing littered everywhere. We also
    > recovered several dozen swords, knives and daggers which would have been
    > at home in Lord of the Rings. The day of the most recent killings, he
    > told his mother that he was going out to play dungeons and dragons.
    > Thus, what concerns me is not the game itself, but his preoccupation
    > with it. Clearly the game didn't cause the murders. What I want to
    > explore is whether his fascination with it blurred his sense of reality
    > because of his own emotional and personal problems.
    >
    > Bruce L. Castor, Jr.
    >
    > District Attorney
    >
    The important point is the news coverage dropping the obsession with
    gaming.

    --
    Terry Austin
    http://www.hyperbooks.com/
    Campaign Cartographer Now Available
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    Tialan wrote:
    > julian814@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > There's some DA in Pennsylvania who thinks these murders were
    linked by
    > > D&D.
    > >
    > > http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives_detail.cfm?newsitemid=44981
    >
    > I love that quote:
    >
    > "I mean, you have many, many stab wounds and those 'Dungeons and
    > Dragons' fantasy games involve swords and knives and daggers and
    things
    > of that nature. There may be a connection but I can't say for
    sure."
    >
    > or to make it sound stupid:
    >
    > "Apples are red. That pepper thing is red (I think). Peppers must
    be
    > some type of apple. I can't be sure about that, though."
    >
    > I guess I do have to take comfort in the fact that he subtly admits
    he
    > has no idea what the hell he's talking about. Maybe he'll get
    educated.
    > Then he'll find out the game has more to do with satanic rituals to

    > gain magical power than it does with stabbing people. ;-)
    >
    > Makes me wonder if they'll make a big deal should he also turn out to
    be
    > a fan of swashbuckling fantasy movies, Shakespeare, or any other
    > dramatic genre that features many sword fights and people getting
    impaled.
    >

    What if the guy was also a fan of police dramas and war films? Lots of
    cop films show that violence is the only way to solve problems.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    JF wrote:
    > http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10617&start=47
    > A user on Dragonsfoot emailed the DA and got this reply:
    >
    > Thank you for your thoughtful e-mail. The three adult victims and the
    > defendant were all devotees of fantasy role playing games. In fact, the
    > defendant was obsessed with them. When we searched his room, we found
    > cards, figurines, posters, clothing and other things related to killing
    > by stabbing in the context of role playing littered everywhere.

    Cards, figurines, posters, and other things: check. I no longer
    have clothes with DnD type prints on them.

    > We also recovered several dozen swords, knives and daggers which would
    > have been at home in Lord of the Rings.

    If I could afford to throw away money on a sword, I probably would.
    I certainly didn't have anything but admiration for the ones I've seen
    in fellow players possesion. Cooler than a $++ car sterio at least.
    The guy that disturbed me was the one who didn't seem to realise
    the pellet gun could injure someone.

    > The day of the most recent killings, he told his mother that he was
    > going out to play dungeons and dragons.

    Perhaps that's the reason he always gives to his parents when
    leaving the basement? 8]

    > Thus, what concerns me is not the game itself, but his preoccupation
    > with it. Clearly the game didn't cause the murders. What I want to
    > explore is whether his fascination with it blurred his sense of reality
    > because of his own emotional and personal problems.
    >
    > Bruce L. Castor, Jr.
    >
    > District Attorney

    While I'm aware that insane people play DnD too (even if they do
    have trouble staying in a group), it's not nessisarily true that this
    guy had a "blurred sense of reality" (presuming, you know, innocence).

    I hope they've got some real evidence, not much of that should see
    the light of day in a courtroom; unless, say, his knife matches the wounds.

    --
    tussock

    Aspie at work, sorry in advance.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

    Rump Ranger wrote:
    > Tialan wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>Makes me wonder if they'll make a big deal should he also turn out to
    >
    > be
    >
    >>a fan of swashbuckling fantasy movies, Shakespeare, or any other
    >>dramatic genre that features many sword fights and people getting
    >
    > impaled.
    >
    >
    > What if the guy was also a fan of police dramas and war films? Lots of
    > cop films show that violence is the only way to solve problems.
    >

    But how much stabbing? :-)

    'Cause it appears this guy likes stabbing.

    I suppose there's SOME stabbing in those films, though. Oh, well.

    - Tialan
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Video Games