Sign in with
Your question

Fast 14: Should Intel and AMD be frightened?

Last response: in CPUs
August 20, 2001 8:58:02 AM

A company called Intrinsity is making CPUs using Fast 14. It is a technology that allows chips to be developed using the Dynamic Logic methodology. Using this methodology can result in higher performing CPUs but requires more Highly Skilled staff and more time, which essentially results in Higher costs.

Fast 14 allows the chips to be developed quicker, but the need for the skilled staff remains. The other Chip manufacturers all use the Static Logic methodology.

Intrinsity claims they are currently testing 2.2GHz CPUs that can be manufactured in a standard fabrication plant with standard production processes, rather than having to develop a new plant or re-equip the current plants with cutting edge chip production technology to use the latest (and greatest?) production processes.

So the results would be high clock speed (to scare intel), high performance (to scare AMD) CPUs at low costs (to scare both).

Whats yer opinion?

<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/21116.html" target="_new">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/21116.html&lt;/A>

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2001 9:50:30 AM

It doesnt say anywhere its a x86 chip. Not much use to you and me then..

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip
August 20, 2001 10:46:40 AM

I dont think that amd or intel have anything to worry about. Anouncing a 2.2ghz test chip right now is nothing special since intel probably has working samples of a 2.2ghz p4 already and amd has working 1.6 or 1.7ghz samples which perform as fast as intels.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~
Related resources
August 20, 2001 11:56:00 AM

It should be an x86 chip since its being announced to compete with Intel and AMD.

August 20, 2001 12:47:45 PM

Its just that speeds are being reached on a "old" and "cheap" fabrication plant, giving lower costs. So, Intel and AMD Processors may seem expensive compared to the those.

August 20, 2001 2:47:58 PM

We've heard claims like this from lots of companies. Recently Transmeta, whose low-power CPUs ended up not being that great.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
August 20, 2001 4:19:17 PM

Dont worry it will be intel vs. amd for along time. Sorry Steve Jobs your MAC's suck back into your closet i dont want to see you again. Your Apples are rotton.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
!