Need a little help from veterans of first edition AD&D

I'm looking for a little help from fans or veterans of first edition
Dungeons and Dragons, what we used to call AD&D, back in the early
days.

I've taken on a rather imposing project, converting Wizard of the
Coast's slipshod 1E downloads into a more impressive, more professional
set of pdf files.

Don't ask why; if you played the game 30 years ago, when it was in its
infancy, these old modules and rulebooks have a special place in your
heart. If you think it's nuts, well, there's little I can say that
would convince you.

Suffice to say that some of these modules are approaching their 25th or
30th anniversaries. And some of the artwork -- particularly stuff from
Erol Otus, Jim Roslof and others -- is exceptional, and deserves proper
preservation.

Each module (legally bought and paid for, I should add) was converted
out of pdf, into Word, edited and polished, then converted back into
pdf format for a very clean, very crisp-looking product. Pictures were
balanced and sharpened, and on the whole, the entire module is a far
cry better than what WotC sells through the SVGames web site.

So here's the problem: I'm trying to find someone within the WotC
hierarchy to at least look at the restored versions, and possibly offer
them for sale in place of the murky, low-res, skewed scans that are up
for sale now.

I don't expect WotC to buy back their own property. I would like to see
these documents given a fresh look, one that befits a game that has
become part of our culture. I consider this a labor of love, and again,
if you cut your teeth on D&D back in the 70's and 80's, you'll
understand.

If you have any contacts, e-mail or otherwise, within WotC, I would
love an introduction. I can't get past the automated customer service
replies to find an open ear. In one sense, I can't blame them (God
knows how many wackos call them up in a day), but on the other hand,
I'm a little tired of canned e-mails promising to forward my comments
to the appropriate department.

Yes, I also contacted Gary Gygax, and while he was cordial, he's short
on time and couldn't offer any advice.

Thanks, folks. I appreciate any help that anyone out there might be
able to give.

Cheers,
msephiri

P.S.: No, I can't e-mail you the restored versions, although I might
get away with hiding a sample page somewhere, so you can at least get
an idea of what I've done.
10 answers Last reply
More about need veterans edition

    No, I haven't. Thanks for the idea. I'll do that now. If you can think
    of any other sites that have 1E fans, I'd appreciate pointers.

    Cheers,
    msephiri

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:07:50 GMT, msephiri scrawled:

    > If you have any contacts, e-mail or otherwise, within WotC, I would
    > love an introduction. I can't get past the automated customer service
    > replies to find an open ear. In one sense, I can't blame them (God
    > knows how many wackos call them up in a day), but on the other hand,
    > I'm a little tired of canned e-mails promising to forward my comments
    > to the appropriate department.
    >
    > Yes, I also contacted Gary Gygax, and while he was cordial, he's short
    > on time and couldn't offer any advice.
    >
    > Thanks, folks. I appreciate any help that anyone out there might be
    > able to give.

    Obvious question but have you tried posting on the WotC D&D boards?

    --
    http://www.rexx.co.uk

    To email me, visit the site.

    msephiri,

    Try Dragonsfoot for 1E contact and info. Good luck!

    http://www.dragonsfoot.org/index.shtml

    Cheers,
    Madhatter

    msephiri wrote:
    > No, I haven't. Thanks for the idea. I'll do that now. If you can think
    > of any other sites that have 1E fans, I'd appreciate pointers.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > msephiri

    I admit, I was rounding up when I said 30 years. However, it's
    important to remember that some of the material was in use -- if not in
    circulation -- before it reached full-scale production in the late
    1970's.

    >From an interview with Gygax on GameSpy:

    "*FireBall{2}* How long did it take to make the game and how many
    people were involved in the development of the game?

    "Gary Gygax: It took me two weeks to write the first 50 page
    manuscript. for D&D. The play-testers for that period were my son Ernie
    and daughter Elise.

    "Gary Gygax: We then added several other persons to the game -- Don
    Kaye, Rob and Terry Kuntz. That was before the two weeks were up and
    the rules actually on paper.

    "Gary Gygax: From their input and that of about a dozen gamer friends
    at various colleges, I expanded the rules to 150 pages in the spring of
    1973. That manuscript was published as the D&D game."

    Be that as it may, I'm still interested to hear if anyone has
    suggestions for contacting the appropriate people in WotC.

    Cheers,
    msephiri

    msephiri <msephiri@gmail.com> wrote:
    >"Gary Gygax: From their input and that of about a dozen gamer friends
    >at various colleges, I expanded the rules to 150 pages in the spring of
    >1973. That manuscript was published as the D&D game."
    >
    >Be that as it may, I'm still interested to hear if anyone has
    >suggestions for contacting the appropriate people in WotC.

    You understand that there's a big difference between AD&D and OD&D, right?

    You could try contacting custserv@wizards.com as a first step... that's
    probably what I would do, if I were in your position.

    Donald

    Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Donald Tsang just said...

    > You could try contacting custserv@wizards.com as a first step... that's
    > probably what I would do, if I were in your position.

    -ahem-

    Read his original message.

    Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> wrote:
    >> You could try contacting custserv@wizards.com as a first step... that's
    >> probably what I would do, if I were in your position.
    >
    >-ahem-
    >
    >Read his original message.

    I did. Oh, you mean carefully? Oops.

    He should maybe try some of the WotC discussion boards. I know
    some of the designers hang out on there; it's hard to imagine that
    one or more of the Product folks don't, as well...

    If there's no response, maybe there's a reason...

    Donald

    On 31 Mar 2005 06:07:50 -0800, "msephiri" <msephiri@gmail.com> carved
    upon a tablet of ether:

    > Don't ask why; if you played the game 30 years ago, when it was in its
    > infancy, these old modules and rulebooks have a special place in your
    > heart. If you think it's nuts, well, there's little I can say that
    > would convince you.

    AD&D wasn't out 30 yaers ago. The MM came out in 78, IIRC, so the
    oldest AD&D1 book is only 27 years old.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    should be free."

    On 31 Mar 2005 15:56:05 -0800, "msephiri" <msephiri@gmail.com> carved
    upon a tablet of ether:

    > "Gary Gygax: From their input and that of about a dozen gamer friends
    > at various colleges, I expanded the rules to 150 pages in the spring of
    > 1973. That manuscript was published as the D&D game."
    >
    > Be that as it may, I'm still interested to hear if anyone has
    > suggestions for contacting the appropriate people in WotC.

    That's not AD&D, but Old/Original D&D.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    should be free."
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    rboleyn@paradise.net.nz wrote:

    >AD&D wasn't out 30 yaers ago. The MM came out in 78, IIRC, so the
    >oldest AD&D1 book is only 27 years old.

    Don't be pedantic; He obviously was rounding up.

    --
    It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
    the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn

Video Games