Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from win 7 32bit to win 7 64bit problem

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2010 2:41:32 PM

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade my win7 32bit to win 7 64bit - but when i run it from cd it gets to the starting windows blue screen and that's it no options - I have set cd drive to first boot and booted from the disk but still nothing, am I going to have to format first ? cheers mel
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2010 3:06:24 PM

You must do a clean install. Sounds like you're going about it the right way (boot to the install DVD). It can take a while for the preinstaller to finish scanning the system, though. Especially if/when you have a lot on the system alrady. Best to let it sit for a while.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2010 3:11:04 PM

Scotteq said:
You must do a clean install. Sounds like you're going about it the right way (boot to the install DVD). It can take a while for the preinstaller to finish scanning the system, though. Especially if/when you have a lot on the system alrady. Best to let it sit for a while.

Ok cool I will give it a go and let it think for awhile, if it still has issues I will do a clean install.

Thanks for your help :-)

Mel
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2010 10:13:57 PM

As Scotteq said you need to do a clean install, you can't do an inplace upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit.
Boot the W7 dvd and choose custom instalation, choose drive or partition to install to.
You can choose the current OS partition and Windows will wrap it up into a single folder called Windows.old which you can recover any data files from and delete when finished, or choose disk tools and format the partition before you install.
Do not format the partition before booting the W7 upgrade disk!!! Windows 7 verifies your upgrade eligebility at boot time.
m
l
May 14, 2010 3:16:50 AM

Do you have a floppy drive in your system? If not then make sure the bios is set to "none". For some reason Win7 install is very slow if the bios has a floppy drive set but you don't have one.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2010 7:56:13 AM

Hi again

Thanks you for your help everyone :-) I managed to install W7 64 - but after all that it didnt fix my prolem i have which i thought might of rectified ! so reinstalled 32bit lol - looks like i need a new motherboard !

Cheers !

Mel
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2010 1:38:16 PM

Quote:
Hi again

Thanks you for your help everyone :-) I managed to install W7 64 - but after all that it didnt fix my prolem i have which i thought might of rectified ! so reinstalled 32bit lol - looks like i need a new motherboard !

Cheers !

Mel

:heink:  Well that whole thing certainly made a lot of sense now didn't it. Just for the heck of it, what was the real problem you were having in the first place?
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2010 3:56:38 PM

lol Sorry should of explained myself more clearly ... Had Motherboard and bought new 4gb ram 2x2gb - but in windows it shows 3.12 usable, had a word with a few people and they said the board I had doesn’t support the remapping feature but I wasn’t convinced ! though it was because on win7 32bit and I needed the 64bit.....ANYWAY I have just updated my motherboard and graphics card today to see if it would make a difference well it did....sort of lol I still don’t have the full 4gb in w7 I now have 3.44 usable - and I have enabled the remapping in bios so now I’m thinking do I have to go back to win7 64 ? or should I just leave it as it is because its making me angry lol
m
l
May 14, 2010 5:43:46 PM

Well if you want to use the full 4gb then yes, you'll have to use a 64bit OS.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2010 8:35:27 PM

I agree with the post from flaminggerbil, but I don't think it's worth the effort unless you are planning on adding more ram and going to 6 or 8 gb.
m
l
!