27" LED LCD

andegramisu

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Looking for recommendations on a 27" LCD monitor. LED Backlit preferably (I think).

I originally picked the Asus VS278Q-P 27 inch Widescreen 1ms $299. Then I found the ASUS MX279H Silver / Black 27" 5ms $349.

I know 1ms-5ms isn't that much of a difference...right now I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck.

System:
Sabertooth 990fx
FX 8350
Either a 7950 or a 7870 (unsure due to budget)

My MAIN concern is reliability! I have an LG 24" now that has been a champ for 2+ years but I am selling it with my current system and doing a whole new build.

I don't mind spending $ on quality but I"m still on a budget, so can anyone help me pick something good for gaming but also good for working on spreadsheets? Thanks in advance!!!

andegramisu

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

Thanks for the post!!

Well, I love the pricetag! A 27" for $200 makes me leery though, reading the reviews on newegg i didn't really see anyone that was really happy with that product (even 5's had cons). This monitor will be used for 50% spreadsheets / 50% gaming.

Have you personally used this one thereydelmer?

andegramisu

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

thereydelmerol

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

Hey Andegramisu!

1. Don't be leery. I hunted this monitor down for a month using camelcamelcamel.com The price was 250 and I set a 230 desired price. Last night I received a notification that it is 200. It is a genuine deal, no refurbished not crap.

2. AOC may not be a famous brand to you but is all the rage in Latin America, Europe (especially Russia), Australia and even Japan!!! I have a AOC e2243Fw that I bought in Best buy almost 2 years ago, YES the plastic is CHEAP, shinny and tacky. YES the base woobles because it is flimsy and the base connectors are horribly placed also it has a noticeable light bleeding that you can notice if you are on a completely dark room. BUT guess what? In 2 years it hasn't failed, the image is still crisp and bright as it was new and it's my partner every day in my Home Office, this means this monitors stays powered up for at least 12 hoursa day for 5 to 6 days a week.
http://techhamlet.blogspot.mx/2012/01/aocs-22-inch-led-monitor-just-for-119.html

I'm hunting down a 27in IPS panel from AOC, you can read my thread by the name of @King of the "IPS for gaming, anorexic bezel, sub 300 USD" monitor". I was going to buy these but I'm completely obsessed with an IPS panel right now.

Cheers mate!

thereydelmerol

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
BTW I'm also a proud owner of a AMD 8350 FX processor and I'm a value Conscious consumer/gamer but I use a Gigabyte 990fx-ud3 Mobo which is perfect for the cross fire configuration and the 4.8 OC processor I have.

I personally don't believe in ASUS because it's an overpriced brand that is famous among gamers; I compare them with my jeans, I bought mine at Costco or SAM's and they look, feel and last the same as those other designer Jeans that cost over 40 bucks and they only have a fancy label on the back.

My point here is, go cheap with the rest of the components on your machine but do yourself a favor and spend big money for a Radeon HD 7970 video card, don't even think going below that, make it a few months more future proof and if you ever want to change your Mobo and AMD processor later you won't even miss losing money on these. If you bought a 250 card now and then another 250 card later because it is outdated you are missing the point of being a value conscious user and buying refurb will be nonsense.

andegramisu

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Well, thank you thereydelmerol. I appreciate your input, but I have some problems with your comments.

1) I have purchased many refurb items in the past and never had an issue.
2) I went with Asus because it's a name I've used several times before without a problem, not to mention it was a good price for the combo $450 with the 8350. Gigabyte is just a big of a name as Asus is at this point. Maybe 5 years ago not so much.
3) I have a 4 yr old boy at home who I encourage to jump around and play whenever he can (usually I chase him around on all fours being the big monster) so a wobbly base on a 27" monitor definitely steers me away from the AOC.
4) I don't understand how you can really properly suggest this monitor to me with all the manufactoring defects you mentioned!!

I will ask this though, if I were to up from a 7950 to a 7970, what brand would you go with (probably gigabyte...lol). I would probably grab the Sapphire vapor-x ghz edition:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-202-001&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=5&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1

As for the monitor...I'm dead set on a 27" and I'm looking for something $300 and under. I've spent days on newegg looking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009424
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116568

Both look pretty good.

TheDaveGuy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2012
Hello andegramisu,

I just purchased the AOC e2752Vh 27 inch about 2 weeks ago for the planned builds for me and my wife. I got one out and set it up with my wife's current pc, and it definitely is a sharp display. I do not notice any more wobble than any other monitor we have, and that's with 3 children ages 8,7,and 6 and their usual jumping around.

I haven't gotten to test it fully, and the current pc is a poor testing machine as it is on its 6th year. I expect to have all the parts for the new pc this weekend and will let you know any concerns when I have that complete.

andegramisu

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks thedaveguy, I really didn't like
"YES the plastic is CHEAP, shinny and tacky. YES the base woobles because it is flimsy and the base connectors are horribly placed also it has a noticeable light bleeding"
IDK. I have about a week before I place the order for all my parts. I just want to make sure I get something quality. As of right this second I'm getting the acer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009424