All kinds of BSOD

ROFFU

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Hello, since about 5 months I've been having all sorts of BSOD's Memory_Management, Service Exception, sometimes the computer would work fine for about 1 month, then it will start crashing again. I already ran Memtest and the ram is fine.. (I've read tho that you have to run it about 4 times??)

Would like to know if my windows could be corrupted or something like that?

AMD Athlon II x4 640 Processor (4CPUS) 3.0 ghz
4gb ram ddr3
ATI Radeon HD 5670

Solution
Rotation speed means how fast your hard drive disk spins. Some drives spin fast, some slower. It doesn't cause crashes. Faster drives mean you can access data faster. That is all.

Bad sector is what you should be looking for. This is checking for physical damage to the hard drives.

Without enough info, I don't know what's causing your problem.

But here's what you need to do:
1. Make sure there is nothing wrong with your hardware.
Check RAM, hard drive, video card, motherboard or power supply even.
Sometimes, software issues can cause compatibility problems.
Check to see latest drivers installed and Bios version updated.

2. If all components are working fine, but you still get crashes, you need to reformat the OS...
make sure your mb bios is up to date..lot mb have newer cpu and ram code bug fixes. with ram if the ram not bad it can be set wrong by the mb. run cpu-z..look at the ram speed.timing and voltage. look at the mb spd info for it rated speed. the last line or xmp profile is for intel mb. your mb should set the speed as stock 1066/1333 ram. also look at the mb vendor qal list for ram and look at the ram vendor web page to see if the ram your using been qal for that mb.

ROFFU

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
i've had this pc for a while like 3 years and nothing ever happened, this is recent.. I'm going to try updating the bios.. if anyone could tell me how (Ive read updating the Bios is dangerous or something like that) I havent upgraded any part on the pc, so is the bios update still required?

You should run memtest86+ overnight ... I usually do 12 passes.

Run memtest with all RAM installed. The purpose of testing individually is to figure out which one is bad. Note also you can get memtest failures even with good memory modules. I'd read the whole FAQ but here's the most relevant parts.

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/28864-FAQ-please-read-before-posting

Firstly, don't start drawing any conclusions. You only know that memtest86+
is giving you errors, not what the cause is. Unfortunately it is not a
straightforward exercise to decisively test the memory modules themselves in
an actual system. This is because a computer is not just built up of some
memory, but also includes many other elements such as a memory controller,
cache, a cache controller, algorithmic and logic units, etc., etc., all of
which contribute to the machine. If there are faults in any of these other
parts of the computer you will likely also see errors showing up in memtest.....

So what to do? You need to find the actual cause of the problem. The best
known troubleshooting technique for this is elimination of factors, which is
a method of incrementally eliminating factors from the set of all possible
causes of the problem. See the question 'What is elimination of factors' for
more information on this.....

If you have more then one module in your system, test them one by one, if
one is consistently giving errors and another is consistently showing no
errors it's a pretty good bet that the module giving the errors is simply
defective. To exclude the possibility that a defective slot is throwing
your results, use the same slot to test each different module.

If each module by itself shows no errors, but when you place two or more
modules into the machine at the same time you do get errors, you are most
likely stuck with a compatibility issue and unfortunately there isn't a
whole lot you can do about it. ....

ROFFU

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
When I ran memtest, 2 times, it showed no errors, but it had both of the sticks on.. Also could all these BSODs be caused just by a faulty Windows, or that isnt possible?

bryjoered

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Updating the BIOS is good in theory if you know what you are doing. It could solve some compatibility issues and increase boot up and shutdown times. On the other hand, it could completely cause you PC to not be able to load windows and cause many driver conflicts.

So far my experience with it is "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I've changed settings in the BIOS and then had to completely reinstall windows. I've updated the BIOS and then had problems with booting up my system and my sound card. The system does boot up and shut down faster with the BIOS update, but it really wasn't worth the trouble for me. Unless, you have a really outdated system, updating the BIOS is probably not worth all the potential problems it could cause.

In regards to your BSOD issues, you should save it an upload it to this forum or a windows help forum. After you reboot, there should be a message that prompts you to send to microsoft, you can copy this message. And reinstalling windows often does fix a lot of lingering problems if you are willing to start from scratch, many of your old files are indeed saved, but your actual programs will not be.

ROFFU

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
So any more ideas what could be causing all these random BSODS?? It's really annoying when I'm playin League of Legends and game crashes during a match.. :*(

bryjoered

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
League of Legends isn't an intensive game at all, so that can't be the problem. You might just want to take it in to a computer repair shop before you go messing around with your RAM and BIOS, unless you truly know what you are doing.

ROFFU

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I ran Memtest 12 times, and came out with no errors. and how can I troubleshoot my video card?

Also I forgot to mention that sometimes I do not get a bluescreen and it just crashes (Like it kind of freezes and makes a stuck sound on speakers)

Thanks for the help guys, appriciated. I will post my BSODs prompts as soon as it happens

quas

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2012

If 2 sticks, you have to test each stick separately.
Sometimes, if a single stick is damaged, testing them together they might pass the test.
2 sticks will run on dual channel mode if placed on the correct slots.
Usually on motherboards with 4 RAM slots, these are alternating slots. (Slot 1 & 3 or slot 2 & 4. )
If your motherbord only have 2 RAM slots then it's already running on dual channel mode.

There are other things that might cause the computer to suddenly shut down.
- Faulty Windows Registries. (Repair Windows installation or reformat to fix this).
- Bad sector in hard drive. (You can scan your harddrive with programs like crystaldisk.)
- Overheating.
Check if processor heatsink is dusty. If so, clean it. Also, replace thermal paste since it might have dried out.
Do the same for your graphics card. Replacing thermal paste on graphics card can be rather tricky though. (Don't do this if you are not comfortable with this).

ROFFU

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Okay I'm back with update... after 4 days of not crashing.. Here it goes, another BSOD Service_Exception

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF8000495F15F
BCP3: FFFFF880083F5070
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

The previous system shutdown at 7:32:02 PM on ‎2/‎2/‎2013 was unexpected.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff8000495f15f, 0xfffff880083f5070, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 020213-19437-01.

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

So could this be from bad windows, should I reformat? I noticed on chrystaldisk the rotation speed is "Unknown" could this be an issue?

ROFFU

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Yet again is has crashed.. this time error logs is..

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 24
BCP1: 00000000001904FB
BCP2: FFFFF880076B4A88
BCP3: FFFFF880076B42E0
BCP4: FFFFF800047C6D0A
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

And when you look @ the event log it shows: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000024 (0x00000000001904fb, 0xfffff880076b4a88, 0xfffff880076b42e0, 0xfffff800047c6d0a). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 020213-20342-01.

Please help.. I'm so tired of this :(

quas

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2012
Rotation speed means how fast your hard drive disk spins. Some drives spin fast, some slower. It doesn't cause crashes. Faster drives mean you can access data faster. That is all.

Bad sector is what you should be looking for. This is checking for physical damage to the hard drives.

Without enough info, I don't know what's causing your problem.

But here's what you need to do:
1. Make sure there is nothing wrong with your hardware.
Check RAM, hard drive, video card, motherboard or power supply even.
Sometimes, software issues can cause compatibility problems.
Check to see latest drivers installed and Bios version updated.

2. If all components are working fine, but you still get crashes, you need to reformat the OS.
Just backup all important data before you reformat.
Do a proper reformat. Clean install from the BIOS with a bootable CD.
Once your OS is installed, get it updated with the latest service pack.

Solution