Help! 5v USB to 12v

Status
Not open for further replies.

sounder1990

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hey guys,

Not sure where to put this, but this should work..... I built a lil cooling pad that plugs into my usb port on my laptop. My problem is that they go pretty slow. I need to know if there is any way of getting 12v out of my usb. I've seen a few schematics that would probably work. But I don't wanna take the time to search for all the parts and build a circuit. Another reason I don't wanna build is that the only place in town where I could have gotten some good parts for one closed a few months ago. So I would end up having to order everything online. I just want something that can be salvaged from some other electronics I may already have. Any ideas? And I also need it to be fairly simple.

So to sum it up.... I need to get 12v ~500mA out of my 5v USB (not sure of the amperage on it). And I need to do it with cheap stuff I have lying around the house. Is this possible? If so, how can I do this?

Thanks in advance!!!!

P.S. Even 10v would be better. Just in case 12v at 500mA is too much for the USB to handle.

Solution
A USB port can only provide 500ma at 5 volts, so if you made the perfect inverter to convert that to 12 volts you would only have 208ma. Of course, there is no such thing as a perfect inverter, so you would likely get no more than 170ma at 12 volts. . .
A USB port can only provide 500ma at 5 volts, so if you made the perfect inverter to convert that to 12 volts you would only have 208ma. Of course, there is no such thing as a perfect inverter, so you would likely get no more than 170ma at 12 volts. . .

Solution

sounder1990

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Ok. Is there anyway to run 2 usb ports in parallel? I don't really wanna try that unless I know it would be safe for my laptop. Maybe get 10v at 500ma? Or at least close to that? I may just use batteries. Easy and not much knowledge of electricity is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.