Hossein

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
hi. how do i know if i disconnected the L1 bridge correctly on a 1.4ghz amd cpu. i did what i read on tom's website, disconnecting all the connections in L1 bridges. the reason im asking this is cuz im having alot of w2k crashes. the crashes occur mostly for example when im going through a drop down menu. and all of the sudden my mouse pointer stops and i cant do anything except press reset (i can't even do ctrl+alt+del)

if i disconnected the L1 bridges wrong will the computer restart.

oh btw im able to increase the core voltage

all i wanna know is that have i f***ed up the cpu or not?
and y w2k crashes?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hossein on 08/22/01 01:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
u mean CONNECT not disconnect dont you?

connected L1 bridges look like
||||
and you CAN change the multiplier, either by using dipswitches or the bios. thus connected bridges give a unlocked processor.

disconnected bridges (locked) look like
::::
when they are like this the multiplier is fixed and neither changing the dip switches or settings in the bios will change it.

obviously connected (unlocked) bridges are more desirable as you can over AND underclock.

hope thats made things clear.

as to win2k crashing:

i would hesitate to blame the processor as the cauze, at least initially.
a problem like that could be caused by any number of things.
e.g. corrupted windows, mouse incompatibility with the port and/or windows, video problem etc.

what i would do IS:

1. start windows in SAFE MODE. see if the problem still occurs.

2. check the web for mouse drivers. as you did not tell us what sort of mouse it is OR what port its plugged into we are kinda shooting blind here.

3. play a game / processor taxing application. does it crash quicker when running at 100%?

4. give us as much info as you can!!!

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you dispay maturity.

Hossein

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
tks for the reply. i meant disconnect :::: cuz that is what tom says ;) connecting bridges is more difficult(is not a simple soldiering thing). well anyways i used the tip of an automatic pencil to break the bridges, being careful not to connect adjacent pins so now it looks like this ::::

-i dont think it is a windows problem cuz i clean installed and this was happening since the begining, before i installed any drivers, etc
oh and in safe mode i havent seen it lockup yet
-the mouse microsoft optical and has the latest driver(ie no conflict in the Device Manager)
-the thing is that it is not during heavy cpu utilization that the lockup occurs but during simple menu dropping etc.
-the video card is tnt2. and i have a feeling the memory on that card is no good or cant handle 133 system freq. so at the moment i have unchecked Display Properties -> Effects -> Use transition effects for ...
hopefully it goes away.
i will get my gforce3 tomorrow let's see what happens ;)
if there is lockup then i have to remove the cards one by one to see which one is no good. but if the gforce3 still give me problem then i know for sure its not the video card ;) then i gotta go to sblive and next 3com 3cr990-tx-97
thats all the cards i have.
-psu is 350watts, which i think is fine
-memory is 256k micron from crucial (DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Registered • ECC • 2.5V • 32Meg x 72)
-mobo is a7m266
-cpu is 1.4ghz not overclocked
-vcore is 1.888
-cpu temp is 44-49, mobo temp is 38-43
-VIO is 3.3 (actual value 3.392)
-VIO1 - i remvoed the jumper cuz i read that would give me 2.5v
-jumper free mode
-on-board audio disabled

i bought ecc memory modules, asus says non-ecc but crucial says u can use it on the mobo is that correct?

Hossein

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
good news. i think i found why my system was locking up. since i have tnt2 m64 vga board i had to uncheck Display Properties -> Use transition...
i think that "Fade" effect in w2k requires alot of memory out of low end video cards.
it took me over 2 weeks to figure this out wow. i feel like i am a genious.

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
You fell like a genius, did you wet yourself? Good news to you, there are still lot more to come. So be prepared to spend lot more weeks.

It don't come easy.......not always.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
OMG, You "DISCONNECTED" THE L1s??? LOL…LOL.
I'm sorry, I know that's not being helpful….but that's really funny =:cool:
I bet the guy you take the CPU back to, if you had to return it, would get a good laugh…

"Get the facts first. You can distort them later." - Mark Twain

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
see

knew it wasnt the processor, givin that it was ok during full load.
a couple of points i wish to make.

1. WHY did you disconnect the bridges??? i thought i said DONT.

2. your Vcore is too high for a Non-overclocked processor. the default voltage is 1.75V.
i suggest you change your voltage to 1.75V. it will let your computer run cooler.

3. yes... those fade effects are mem intensive

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you dispay maturity.

Hossein

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
well by disconnecting i mean i cut the L1 bridges :)
from |||| to :::: and my cpu works fine in fact i can overclock it to 145x10.5

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just one question, WHY!?!?!. Damn this is the stupidest thing I've heard of. OK, first of all, what was the purpose of diconnecting them? They all have to be connected in order to unlock the multiplier. You can't tell me you unlocked the multiplier because you don't have any proof, your still running at 10.5x, which is what is came as (10.5x133 is 1400). And you can't tell me it enabled you to raise your bus speed to 145, because people are doing that anyway on both locked and unlocked processors. And you can't say it's hard to connect them because most people use a pencil. And there would be no point in connecting them (or disconnecting them if your Polish) on that board anyway as the multiplier is not adustable on it to my knowlege (but I could be wrong on that one, I don't own the board).

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

Hossein

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
if i realy had to connected them. then tomorrow i can go get a connective pen and connect all the L1 bridges.

can't i?
y the hell do i need to return for an exchange? i just connect all the L1 bridges :)

Hossein

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
ok now i just wanna be clear on this.

at the moment my L1 looks like this :::: to unlock the multiplier all i have to do is use a conductive pen and mark in between the colons?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hossein on 08/22/01 09:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
YES
it might sound a bit back-to-front but thats life.

:::: = locked (cannot change multiplier)
|||| = unlocked (what you want)

note:
even when you unlock your processor, when you first boot up it will automatically default to your correct multiplier.