Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Having trouble with a clean install

Last response: in Windows 7
January 29, 2013 2:23:55 PM

So I recently built my first computer, and I was so excited it was going great, I installed all my drivers, and downloaded some of the software, steam, itunes etc. Anyway I will try to break this down to make this easier to follow
-I stepped away while it was downloading LoL
-I came back to see a screen saying Windows could not repair this computer automatically
-I performed some of the options, reverting to an earlier state, and even using the repair tool on windows itself
-I then attempted to reinstall windows entirely, and I would just move some key files over from the Windows.old file
-Instead my computer asked me to select which windows I wanted to run, after trying them both neither worked
-after surfing the internet I didn't find a lot of help, so I used the command prompt to clear my hard drive, I had figured I would just have to reinstall a few drivers and download some stuff no big deal
-but instead my computer still prompts me to select one of two windows to run, again neither working
-now installing off of the disk doesn't even finish

All I want is to start fresh any thoughts on clearing the two useless OS?

More about : trouble clean install

a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 2:28:03 PM

You can manually choose the partition to install Windows 7 - and then delete the current partitions and allow Windows to use the full drive. This wipes the current drive and installs Windows 7 as a new install.

It looks like something corrupted in Windows - either through a virus, malware or a file was corrupted. If there is no important data on the drive - I would wipe it and start completely new.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 2:43:42 PM

Boot from the windows dvd. At the point, where you have to choose the disk to install to, press the "extended disk options". You will get a list of partitons on your disk. Delete them all and select the now unallocated space for the installation. That will kill the old installations.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 2:52:04 PM

^what no idea said.

it is a good thing to know. i like to do a fresh install from time to time just to get rid of clutter, drivers installed ontop of drivers, hard drive degradation problems etc etc etc

nothing like a nice fresh install <3
m
l
January 29, 2013 3:16:11 PM

noidea_77 said:
Boot from the windows dvd. At the point, where you have to choose the disk to install to, press the "extended disk options". You will get a list of partitons on your disk. Delete them all and select the now unallocated space for the installation. That will kill the old installations.

did what you said but now i get an error saying windows cannot install required files
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 3:19:30 PM

It sounds like you might have hardware problems. Check with the website of the manufacturer of the drive for diagnostic utilities to verify the drive.
m
l
January 29, 2013 3:28:58 PM

I tried installing again and it worked this time thanks everyone
m
l
January 29, 2013 3:29:19 PM

Best answer selected by flamediger.
m
l
January 29, 2013 4:10:50 PM

Boot your window with a window dvd....window could use 30GB to run, delete all unallocated space while boot. Then, format system file(local disk c), until that, you click until complete your boot
m
l
!