Sign in with
Your question

Linux and ATA100

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 6, 2001 11:15:40 PM

Okay, I had a CUSL2 with an IBM 75 GXP ATA100 drive and I ran Mandrake 7.2 on it for a long time without any problems at all. Unfortunately, my computer was stolen, and I got a Tbird system on an A7V. I have a Quantum AS ATA100 drive running on the A7V's onboard Promise ATA100 controller. I want to run linux again, but during the install, Mandrake can't find my hard drive. I've tried telling the install to look for IDE drives, SCSI, everything. My question is: Is there any way for me to get this to work while keeping my drive connected to the ATA100 controller? Or do I just have to wait for a distro based on the 2.4 kernel to come out?

More about : linux ata100

Anonymous
February 7, 2001 3:17:59 AM

It is possible, but a kernel compile is necessary. Do the install whith the disk on the "regular" ide controller. Now compile the kernel, but make sure you select to CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS. If using a menu it is found under Block devices -> IDE support -> Other IDE chipset support

make sure the driver works by puting a disk on the Promise controller and seeing if it works, then change the mount paramaters to point to hdeX (/etc/fstab) for the slave disk on the first Promise channel. Now move the disk and see if it works!

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.
!