Need help: affordable 22"/24" for comp. graphic and gaming?

Annabelle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hi,

I’m looking for an affordable (less than 500$) 22" or 24" monitor. The best would be a 24" 16:10 (1920x1200).

I need to have good color gamut and accuracy because I sometimes do computer graphic jobs for printing. I’m not working in that, so I don’t calibrate my monitor and all, but when I print personal stuff I want the same colors that are on my screen. As a reference, I actually have an iMac 24" and colors accuracy are good enough for me.

Also, I often play games, so I need to have a good response time.

I already did many research and it’s so hard to find the information and all... If some of you could share your knowledge, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

The best would probably be the Dell U2410 which is currently on sale for $499. It uses an H-IPS panel for better color accuracy.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8277&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0

Review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm

If you want the color in your pictures to match what is on the screen, then I do recommend you calibrate your monitor. However, for non professional use you can probably do without it.

An inexpensive alternative is the $289 Dell U2311h 1920 x1080 monitor which uses an e-IPS panel. The e-IPS panel is basically less expensive to manufacture than a H-IPS panel, but you will still get pretty accurate colors. In fact, the monitor is already pre-calibrated; of course it can be improved upon, but that requires purchasing a good colorimeter.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9270&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=8&baynote_irrank=0

Review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm

24" 1920 x 1200 monitors are a rarity nowadays since 23" 1920 x 1080 monitors are less expensive to produce which causes them to be popular too since the selling price will be lower.

An alternative to the Dell U2410 is the HP ZR24W for $430. It uses a S-IPS panel which it think is the same panel type in your iMac 24". However, I don't follow Macs.

http://www.provantage.com/hewlett-packard-hp-vm633a8-aba~7HEWA16M.htm

Review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

All three monitors have a matte finish instead of a glossy finish. I think the iMac 24" uses a glossy finish.

Annabelle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Nice! I did some research and your 3 suggestions were the 3 screens I’ve spotted…

Actually, when I saw the Dell u2410, I was like… this is my screen!! All the professional reviews are very good and it seem a more professional screen than the u2311. But, I looked further by reading users’ reviews, and there are like sooo much people complaining about tint issues!! What’s the matter of purchasing a 500$ semi-professional monitor if you have chance of getting one with tint issues?

As a matter of fact, the u2311 doesn’t seem to have any complaints about this kind of issue. But, it seems that the quality is still a bit lower than the u2410… So I’m pretty mixed up here.

For the HP ZR24W, I’m concerned about the poor black depths and contrast.The Dell u2311 and u2410 don’t seem to have this problem…

So.. Dell u2311 or u2410?? Is the image quality really better on the u2410, worth taking the chance of getting one with tint issues? Or the u2311 would be a safer choice, with still great quality?

:cry:

1-anh

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

Unfortunately the U2311H and the U2410 both suffer from tinting issues. This is not due to dell, it is due to the supplier of the IPS panels, which is LG. Until LG improves upon its quality control, there will still be times when you receive a monitor with backlight bleed or partial tinting. However dell has excellent customer service with the 3 year warranty provided with those monitors, so if you do receive one with problems you just have to call dell and they will ship a new one to you and you will ship the old one back. I believe they will pay for shipping but I am not sure. The U2311H is definitely not as good as the U2410, but thats why it commands a much lower price tag.

For myself, I plan on getting 3 U2311H's for eyefinity. I want good colour accuracy and viewing angles without having to pay a ridiculous premium for it. In canada, on sale the U2311H's can be had for $229+environmental fee+tax.

For your purposes, I would go with the U2410. But it really is up to you.

Annabelle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Mmmmh… dillemma!!

I’ve read so much people talking about returning the u2410 many times and always getting another screen with problems. When it’s not tint issues, it’s dead pixels. Some guys got 4-5 monitors and they always had problem… It’s pretty scary.

Do you think they will fix this soon? I mean, should I buy a cheaper monitor, like the u2311 maybe, and wait for them to fix their panels before buying the u2410?

I’m really scared of buying a u2410, getting one with issues, and then being held in a kind of never ending circle of changing monitor...

Annabelle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
I just saw this on the dell’s forum:

«Problem: Complaints of Pink or Green Tint on U2410 display

Note: All received captures were tested and are within manufacturer specifications for Color Gradation. Because this is a normal panel characteristic and not a hardware failure, exchanges will no longer be offered for this complaint since a dispatch of another display cannot be guaranteed to resolve the complaint.»

So... if I get one with tint issue, they won’t even exchange it? This is starting to be totally crazy...

1-anh

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
They will exchange it, if you read this thread on hard forum about the dell U2410 you will have an idea of how dell is in terms of their customer service and problems other users have had.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1441159

It's pretty bad quality control, but if you get a monitor that suits your needs. It is one fine monitor. If you need wide gamut, get the Dell U2410. Also if you can afford a 27", sometimes dell has the Dell U2711H IPS monitor for around the $700 mark and I believe there are less problems associated with that one.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1464591

1-anh

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

It is true, it is luck of the draw. I believe they have a new revision out, I would read the forum I just linked to have an idea of how the quality is on the new revision. Don't be scared, just research and find out which one will be the best for you. It is highly unlikely you will have to exchange the monitor that many times. Also some of those people are extremely anal about the slightly details.

Annabelle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Actually, I don’t really understand the matter of having wide-gamut. Isn’t the CMYK gamut smaller than RGB? Than why having more colors on your monitor when, anyways, when you will print your job you will loose these?

What I would like to have is just a monitor that shows something near what I’ll get when I send my stuff for printing. That’s what I got with my iMac actually.... and when I read all the monitors’ reviews, I don’t know what to think... :cry: :cry:

Annabelle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Anyways, I’ll stop complaining... You are starting to convince me to get a u2410, but I was planning to buy it directly for Dell at the boxing day. If I’m not lucky and get one with issues, will it be possible to get my money back from Dell? Or they will only want to exchange it? And will I have to pay for shipping charges? I’m in Canada by the way.

But anyways, I don’t know why I’m asking that here, I’m starting to go off topic. But still, if you have any clues about my questions, it would be nice to help me :)

1-anh

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

I am pretty certain dell has a decent return policy, however I am unsure if they pay return shipping for returns. I would contact their customer service and inquire. Unforunately, thats about all I know. Good luck with your monitor purchase.