P4T -B socket 478.

G

You mean P4T-E, and yes it is a 4 layer board. The upgrade issue is indeed almost over, now we just need S478 CPU's!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Upgrade path problems over? Not likely. Yes, you can now buy a new Willy 478 (to replace your old one), and then buy a new Northwood 478 to fit in the same socket. Two motherboards and three processors. Yeup, good old Chipzilla sure solved that upgrade path problem all right.

We still don't know about Intel's future processors and upgradeability.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that's funny because most AMD fans have gone from SlotA - socketA, 200fsb - 266fsb, new A7va - a7v266 etc., not to mention burnt, crumbled, damaged, cpu's. what's the avg? I don't know but if you visit Amdzone you'll see that almost all are proud to own amd keychains.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I feel left out, I don't have my key chain yet! Well I guess that is better then the ball and weight of the Itanic when it glows in the dark.

FatBurger

Illustrious
most AMD fans have gone from SlotA - socketA, 200fsb - 266fsb, new A7va - a7v266 etc

You named TWO different platforms, where as Intel has gone through 5? 6? in the same amount of time. I'm not talking about "Hey, I want this board, it's cool", because Intel and AMD users do that. I'm talking about having to buy a new motherboard because you got screwed over.

And while I've only installed 3 AMD CPUs (two Tbirds, one Duron), I didn't have a problem with any of them. I've got some old EDO RAM on my keychain, no processor.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
5 or 6? Let's see, the Slot1 is still compatable with Socket processors, through an adapter card. Can you say that of the SlotA? The new voltage spec for the Tualatin can be had in the near future with a voltage adapter. The current P4 doesn't matter because Intel told us BEFORE THEY INTRODUCED IT that it was a temporary solution, so most people in here didn't buy it.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, you bring up some good points, but still. Using some sort of mod for two of them, and then simply not buying one? That's a pretty pathetic excuse for an 'upgrade path'.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Have to agree with fatburger, amd has pledged that socket a will last for quite some time, so we can buy our motherboards with some measure of comfort they will have an upgrade path.

Why did intel release a product they admitted was a dead end? To rape the consumer, nothing more.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Solstice

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001
I bought a Willy and am since going to therapy. I have trust issues with tech companies since being raped so viciously. I sometimes have Nightmares of the event, the actual day I was lured into purchasing one of these CPU's.

I showered 7 times day for months because I felt so dirty and used.

HAHA seriously I knew I had no upgrade path and didn't care.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel released a platform with the information that it was a dead end for a reason-some people never upgrade their processor, typical customers didn't know or care that it was a dead end because they would rather buy a new unit than upgrade. But for us informed geeks, Intel wanted to make the issue perfectly clear so they could avoid upgradabilty complaints. Think of the current P4 as direct competition for the MAC-a little less speed, a little more power, and no upgrade path. For John Q. Public, that's exactly what they want! In fact, if Macs came with Windows Intel would loose maybe half their business!

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
For the P4 2.0 will be socket 478 or 423.It will be release in 1 or 2 week.Does you wa the price because the mobo is """"""""suppost""" to cost less.

FatBurger

Illustrious
No, there's no chance it'll be the last 32-bit CPU. Intel still has a lot of R&D to do until they release a home 64-bit CPU. Unless they're just hiding it very, very well.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Socket 478 will be use on northwood and also the revision after who will coming way after northwood.In pur theory socket 478 will live for 3 to 4 year.