CPU Installation

G

Is there a web site which provides a detailed and easy step by step installation guide for my athlon 1.4ghz and heatsink.

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yep <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/01q1/010115/pcsystem-05.html#processor" target="_new">here</A>

**these two: :mad: :mad: want you to <b>CHANGE THE SIG OF THE WEEK!!</b> :mad: :mad:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOOK at the thing. Make sure you put it with the clip facing the right way, and slap it on! I do this all the time and have never had a problem! I think these people crushing dies are mounting it backwards?

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

I've read several dozen pages of forums and you seem very helpful and tech savy. I'm looking to upgrade my amd cpu from 3500+, to x2 5200+ dual core. Outside of ram, video card, and wireless card have zero exp in upgrading a cpu. I've learned about static discharge problem and that heat/sink fan is the hardest part.

Should I remove the motherboard from the case??? Thermal grease on the chip?? cpu comes with heatsink/fan also. Looking to challenge myself and try this on my own, any advice would be greatly appreciated...Steve

cookies

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Talk about a necro!

I think you're going to run into socket compatibility issues. As far as I know, the 3500+ is socket 939, and the x2 5200+ is AM2. You'll want to make sure that your motherboard is compatible before you purchase, and if you're going to need a motherboard upgrade you might as well do a system upgrade with how old the hardware you're currently using is.

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Motherboard manufacturer's name: Asus M2N61-LA
HP/Compaq name: Nyssa-GL6

CPU/Processor Socket: AM2
Supports the following processors:
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology (64 Watt only)
Athlon 64
Sempron

cpu-z scan shows am2 socket 940...

Thx Again

cookies

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

You should be alright then. If you have bought a retail chip, there will be thermal material pre-applied on the heatsink. You shouldn't have to worry about anything other than removing the old chip and setting the new one.

Keep your motherboard in the case, no reason to take it out. Just make sure that you're dropping the CPU in correctly, clamp it all the way down, and set the heat sink. It should be a pretty easy process - Intel sockets are harder for heat-sink mounting than AMD sockets are. Pretty simple process.

Just make sure you read your processor documentation.

TRENDING THREADS