G

I bought a antholon 1.4 Ghz and a asus a7m266 board. I put in the proccesor and put my heatsink on (cooler master) which is supposed to support my processor. Still though the cpu runs at between 56 and 60 degrees celcius. I have treid to load windoes 2000 pro and server and both freeze during the first step of instillation. Is this becuase the procesor is overheating? Should i get a new heatsink and fan? Any suggestions? Thanks a lot I really appreciate it!

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's been 12 minutes. Don't be so impatient. If you can wait 15 without posting, I'll answer you :)

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

starbucksaddict

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2001
It's amazing what you can find if you actually look.
<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/pdf/23792.pdf" target="_new">HERE</A>
took me all of 30 seconds to find
Read chapter 5 on Thermal Design

Flame not, lest ye be flamed.

atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
As long as you're not overclocking, or planning on it, then 60 is fine. My 1.33 ran at 65 for a month with Win2k. And don't be so impatient. A lot of people are at work right now and can't respond. Or the supervisor is watching.

No more cookies for me, change the sig

G

What is your room temperature? Do you live in a hot enviroment? That temp is a bit high, I would recommend a different heatsink and get some Arctic Silver2 thermal paste.
I have an ASUS A7M and an AMD 1.33 GHz cpu
temps are around 39c-41c idle and sometimes get as high as 47 with full load on a hot day with no AC on in the room.

Down at pants n at wit Donnie Iris

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
To test the theory of whether or not is heat.. open
up your case and lay it flat.. the hot air will then
rise from the case and then try re-installing

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!