bassfiend409

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
I just built a system with:
1.4Ghz Athlon
EPoX EP-8K7A+
Thermaltake Volano 5 Heatsink
Antec 350W PS

A couple of little things are concerning me about this new system. First, the CPU fan RPM monitor suddenly stopped working when I was in the BIOS. The fan still runs, I just can't see the speed in the BIOS. Also, when I tried to figure out what was wrong, I switched my CPU fan power with the power for one of my case fans. Now the CPU fan won't run off of the CPU fan power socket, it will only run off the case fan socket.
I have tried resetting the CMOS and going through the BIOS for settings I could have missed and have found nothing. Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this? If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Only thing I can think of is some systems will power down the cpu fan when it isn't needed to save energy. I have a volcano 5, and I don't think the fan is strong enough to short out the fan header like some Delta fans.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had the same problem with my Volcano II on a CUSL2. But it also happened with a stock Intel fan. I think it is a problem with the monitoring software.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!