Detering Pine Marten

Archived from groups: sci.agriculture.poultry,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

I have been seeing more signs of Pine Marten in the last few months and then
watched one have a go at the hens in the garden at 5pm this evening.

I know they are protected but are there any legal means to deter them?

Thanks,

Dave

"Dave P" <davepnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been seeing more signs of Pine Marten in the last few months and
then
> watched one have a go at the hens in the garden at 5pm this evening.
>
> I know they are protected but are there any legal means to deter them?
>
> Thanks,

the best method is to insist that it fills in the full health and safety
documentation before attacking the hens. That will deter everyone :-(

On a more serious note, do you own a dog, let that have the run of the area
the hens are in?

Jim Webster

Archived from groups: sci.agriculture.poultry,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Dave P" <davepnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been seeing more signs of Pine Marten in the last few months and
then
> watched one have a go at the hens in the garden at 5pm this evening.
>
> I know they are protected but are there any legal means to deter them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Electric netting?

Jim Webster wrote:
> "Dave P" <davepnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have been seeing more signs of Pine Marten in the last few months
>> and then watched one have a go at the hens in the garden at 5pm this
>> evening.
>>
>> I know they are protected but are there any legal means to deter
>> them?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
> the best method is to insist that it fills in the full health and
> safety documentation before attacking the hens. That will deter
> everyone :-(
>
> On a more serious note, do you own a dog, let that have the run of
> the area the hens are in?

doesn't work up here
:~)
We had one living in the haystack in the yard with 5 dogs visiting the area
several times a day

--

regards
Jill Bowis

Pure bred utility chickens and ducks
Housing; Equipment, Books, Videos, Gifts
Herbaceous; Herb and Alpine nursery
Working Holidays in Scotland
http://www.kintaline.co.uk

w.g.s.hamm wrote:
> "Dave P" <davepnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have been seeing more signs of Pine Marten in the last few months
>> and then watched one have a go at the hens in the garden at 5pm this
>> evening.
>>
>> I know they are protected but are there any legal means to deter
>> them?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Electric netting?

does not deter pine martin

--

" Jill." <news@REMOVETHISkintaline.co.uk> wrote in message
> Jim Webster wrote:
> > "Dave P" <davepnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I have been seeing more signs of Pine Marten in the last few months
> >> and then watched one have a go at the hens in the garden at 5pm this
> >> evening.
> >>
> >> I know they are protected but are there any legal means to deter
> >> them?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> > the best method is to insist that it fills in the full health and
> > safety documentation before attacking the hens. That will deter
> > everyone :-(
> >
> > On a more serious note, do you own a dog, let that have the run of
> > the area the hens are in?
>
> doesn't work up here
> :~)
> We had one living in the haystack in the yard with 5 dogs visiting the
area
> several times a day

Tough little beggars by the sound of it. rather begs the question why they
need protecting :)

Jim Webster

> --
>
> regards
> Jill Bowis
>
> Pure bred utility chickens and ducks
> Housing; Equipment, Books, Videos, Gifts
> Herbaceous; Herb and Alpine nursery
> Working Holidays in Scotland
> http://www.kintaline.co.uk
> >
> > Jim Webster

Archived from groups: sci.agriculture.poultry,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

Could you use a live catch trap and then transport it to another isolated
location for release?

I can empathize with the varmint situation. I have been having trouble with
skunks, raccoons and hawks. I finally bought two guns, a 22 cal rifle and a
20 gauge shotgun. On two occasions I have gone out with the guns and used
them like guiding sticks to shoo the critters off as I just could not bring
myself to actually kill one. The skunk in particular, had the cutest
little beady eyes I'd ever seen. The raccoon made one of his twittering
noises as I had him in my sites only a few feet away and I ended up just
giving him a good scolding and he went rambling on about his business.

I am looking now to get one of the live catch traps myself. I don't know
what I'll do with a skunk in one of those but I'll cross that bridge when I
come to it! ha ha I think I'll wrap the outer part in plastic and just
leave the door open, though, as that might deter him from spraying or at
least shield me a bit if he does let loose.

Shawn

"Shawn Pennington" <smpenn30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Could you use a live catch trap and then transport it to another isolated
> location for release?
Nope. If they are protected you cannot interfere with them at all and
transferring it out of it's territory into the territory of another marten
is irresponsible and cruel.

"w.g.s.hamm" <fenlandfowlREMOVETHIS@talktalk.net> wrote in message

> "Shawn Pennington" <smpenn30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Could you use a live catch trap and then transport it to another isolated
>> location for release?
> Nope. If they are protected you cannot interfere with them at all and
> transferring it out of it's territory into the territory of another marten
> is irresponsible and cruel.

It is, likewise, irresponsible and cruel to allow an animal to destroy the
chickens which we have taken on the obligation to watch over and protect.
More so to my way of thinking. But, if it is illegal it is illegal.

Archived from groups: sci.agriculture.poultry,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

"Dave P" <davepnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have been seeing more signs of Pine Marten in the last few months and
>then watched one have a go at the hens in the garden at 5pm this evening.
>
> I know they are protected but are there any legal means to deter them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

This is a new site to me and it has images and movies of UK wildlife. The
videos I watched there of the Pine Marten have been illuminating.

http://www.arkive.org/

Dave

Scott

Archived from groups: sci.agriculture.poultry,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:30:24 +0100, " Jill."
<news@REMOVETHISkintaline.co.uk> wrote:

>w.g.s.hamm wrote:
>> "Dave P" <davepnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have been seeing more signs of Pine Marten in the last few months
>>> and then watched one have a go at the hens in the garden at 5pm this
>>> evening.
>>>
>>> I know they are protected but are there any legal means to deter
>>> them?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Electric netting?
>
>does not deter pine martin

Electric fences deter everything if installed properly.

Scott

Archived from groups: sci.agriculture.poultry,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 03:50:00 +0100, "Jim Webster"
<Jim@zerospam.mok.net> wrote:

>" Jill." <news@REMOVETHISkintaline.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Jim Webster wrote:
>> > "Dave P" <davepnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > the best method is to insist that it fills in the full health and
>> > safety documentation before attacking the hens. That will deter
>> > everyone :-(
>> >
>> > On a more serious note, do you own a dog, let that have the run of
>> > the area the hens are in?
>>
>> doesn't work up here
>> :~)
>> We had one living in the haystack in the yard with 5 dogs visiting the
>area
>> several times a day
>
>Tough little beggars by the sound of it. rather begs the question why they
>need protecting :)
>
>Jim Webster

Too many nuts about wanting to kill anything on four legs.

Scott

Archived from groups: sci.agriculture.poultry,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:22:04 -0400, "Shawn Pennington"
<smpenn30@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"w.g.s.hamm" <fenlandfowlREMOVETHIS@talktalk.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Shawn Pennington" <smpenn30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Could you use a live catch trap and then transport it to another isolated
>>> location for release?
>> Nope. If they are protected you cannot interfere with them at all and
>> transferring it out of it's territory into the territory of another marten
>> is irresponsible and cruel.
>
>It is, likewise, irresponsible and cruel to allow an animal to destroy the
>chickens which we have taken on the obligation to watch over and protect.
>More so to my way of thinking.

Part of that responsibilty is ensuring they are kept in a protective
environment, or is responsibilty applicable onloy when it suits you?

"Scott" <h@jhjhj.com> wrote in message

> Too many nuts about wanting to kill anything on four legs.

And two.

> >> Electric netting?
> >
> >does not deter pine martin
>
> Electric fences deter everything if installed properly.

while it might be possible to pin down netting in every crevice the places
where pine marten are common are also pretty rough ground. This makes it
very difficult to create a completely marten free zone as they are capable
of getting themselves very flat and so get beneath and possibly through the
non electrified zones. I agree however that its probably one of the best
bets to try to create a decent sized area for birds with some application of
extra pegs and stakes

--

regards
Jill Bowis

Pure bred utility chickens and ducks
Housing; Equipment, Books, Videos, Gifts
Herbaceous; Herb and Alpine nursery
Working Holidays in Scotland
http://www.kintaline.co.uk

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: sci.agriculture.poultry,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

> Part of that responsibilty is ensuring they are kept in a protective
> environment, or is responsibilty applicable onloy when it suits you?

You've been reading the Labour pary manafesto haven't you?

John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Scott wrote:

> Too many nuts about wanting to kill anything on four legs.

The real nutters try and save things with three legs!

John

JB

Archived from groups: sci.agriculture.poultry,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:57:23 +0100, John
<john.p.young*removethislittlebit*@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> Too many nuts about wanting to kill anything on four legs.
>
>The real nutters try and save things with three legs!

Presumably that would be a stool pigeon?

JB

> Part of that responsibilty is ensuring they are kept in a protective
> environment, or is responsibilty applicable onloy when it suits you?

Not at all. I agree with you, in fact. But, what we consider a protective
environment may possibly differ.

I don't consider such to, necessarily, consist of cages that imprison an
animal. For those who raise their fowl in that manner, I have no problem at
all with that, but it is not how I choose to care for my birds.

A protective environment for my animals is, therefore, one in which they are
given food, water, medical care when necessary, protection from wind, rain
and the elements and are afforded, as much as I am able to provide such, a
predator free environment.

I am not a killer of any animal, although I truly do feel a need to become
one at times. I will, however, most certainly live catch animals and
release them where they can do no harm to my flock.

I am not 100% successful in keeping the predators at bay and I have lost
several birds to the hawks, which I cannot trap, and a single one to a
raccoon. Still, I like to believe that my birds, given a choice, would
prefer to live freely and take the chance of an occasional kill by a varmint
than to live in cages their whole lives. They do, in fact, always have the
choice of remaining in their hen house but opt to go outdoors on nice days.

I have had the greatest success this year in my efforts to preserve them by
simply switching breeds of fowl. Rather than raising ornamental chickens
that have had almost all instinct bred out of them, I ordered Easter Egg
(Aracauna mix) and other birds that were specifically listed as being
vigilant in looking out for predators and responding with a survival
instinct. Since the switch, I have not lost another bird.

> "Scott" <h@jhjhj.com> wrote in message
>
> > Part of that responsibilty is ensuring they are kept in a protective
> > environment, or is responsibilty applicable onloy when it suits you?
>
> Not at all. I agree with you, in fact. But, what we consider a
protective
> environment may possibly differ.
>
> I don't consider such to, necessarily, consist of cages that imprison an
> animal. For those who raise their fowl in that manner, I have no problem
at
> all with that, but it is not how I choose to care for my birds.
>
> A protective environment for my animals is, therefore, one in which they
are
> given food, water, medical care when necessary, protection from wind, rain
> and the elements and are afforded, as much as I am able to provide such, a
> predator free environment.
>
> I am not a killer of any animal, although I truly do feel a need to become
> one at times. I will, however, most certainly live catch animals and
> release them where they can do no harm to my flock.
>
> I am not 100% successful in keeping the predators at bay and I have lost
> several birds to the hawks, which I cannot trap, and a single one to a
> raccoon. Still, I like to believe that my birds, given a choice, would
> prefer to live freely and take the chance of an occasional kill by a
varmint
> than to live in cages their whole lives. They do, in fact, always have
the
> choice of remaining in their hen house but opt to go outdoors on nice
days.

> I have had the greatest success this year in my efforts to preserve them
by
> simply switching breeds of fowl. Rather than raising ornamental chickens
> that have had almost all instinct bred out of them, I ordered Easter Egg
> (Aracauna mix) and other birds that were specifically listed as being
> vigilant in looking out for predators and responding with a survival
> instinct. Since the switch, I have not lost another bird.

You keep referring to cages, and it seems you see only 2 options, cages or
complete freedom with the risk of beijng killed by a predator. The rest of
us allow our birds freedom within the confines or a large enclosure
surrounded by electric poultry netting.Freedom, and safety.

> The rest of
> us allow our birds freedom within the confines of a large enclosure
> surrounded by electric poultry netting.Freedom, and safety.

Sounds like Tony Blair's Britain....

Derry

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Derry Argue wrote:
> "w.g.s.hamm" <fenlandfowlREMOVETHIS@talktalk.net> wrote in
>

>>The rest of
>>us allow our birds freedom within the confines of a large enclosure
>>surrounded by electric poultry netting.Freedom, and safety.
>>

> Sounds like Tony Blair's Britain....
>
> Derry

Blair would let the pine martins in! (after all, Blair's Britain
welcomes all :) )

John

"John" <john.p.young*removethislittlebit*@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Derry Argue wrote:
> > "w.g.s.hamm" <fenlandfowlREMOVETHIS@talktalk.net> wrote in
> >

> >>The rest of
> >>us allow our birds freedom within the confines of a large enclosure
> >>surrounded by electric poultry netting.Freedom, and safety.
> >>

> > Sounds like Tony Blair's Britain....
> >
> > Derry
>
> Blair would let the pine martins in! (after all, Blair's Britain
> welcomes all :) )
He would let them in, ban any form of protection and punish any chicken
silly enough to try to defend itself against the marten.

>> > Sounds like Tony Blair's Britain....
>> >
>> > Derry
>>
>> Blair would let the pine martins in! (after all, Blair's Britain
>> welcomes all :) )
> He would let them in, ban any form of protection and punish any chicken
> silly enough to try to defend itself against the marten.

And the knacker would have to come for the corpse.

Mary

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

w.g.s.hamm wrote:
> "John" <john.p.young*removethislittlebit*@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>Derry Argue wrote:
>>
>>>"w.g.s.hamm" <fenlandfowlREMOVETHIS@talktalk.net> wrote in

>>>Sounds like Tony Blair's Britain....
>>>
>>>Derry
>>
>>Blair would let the pine martins in! (after all, Blair's Britain
>>welcomes all :) )
>
> He would let them in, ban any form of protection and punish any chicken
> silly enough to try to defend itself against the marten.

And.... on top if it, he would pay the bl00dy pine martins to be there! :)

John

TRENDING THREADS