Sign in with
Your question

How do I load Windows 7 if I am running Ubuntu?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 29, 2013 6:11:11 PM

I have a computer with Ubuntu and I can not get any Microsoft software to load. Can I load and run Windows 7 without uninstalling Ubuntu? How can I get this to work if Ubuntu will not run anything from my CD drive if it is Microsoft?
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 6:17:04 PM

I have built several dual-boot Ubuntu/Windows 7 computers. The first step is to install Windows 7 on the computer (you have to buy a license), then download and install Ubuntu - it will ask if you want dual-boot.

When you turn on your computer, it will ask if you want to run Ubuntu or Windows 7.

You can also install "Wine" in Ubuntu to run these programs:

http://www.howtogeek.com/105271/how-to-run-windows-soft...

m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2013 6:27:59 PM

I'll give Wine a go tonight. Unfortunately I already have Ubuntu installed and am trying to add Windows 7 (already purchased). Hopefully Ubuntu will ask for "dual-boot". Thanks.

ronintexas said:
I have built several dual-boot Ubuntu/Windows 7 computers. The first step is to install Windows 7 on the computer (you have to buy a license), then download and install Ubuntu - it will ask if you want dual-boot.

When you turn on your computer, it will ask if you want to run Ubuntu or Windows 7.

You can also install "Wine" in Ubuntu to run these programs:

http://www.howtogeek.com/105271/how-to-run-windows-soft...

m
l
January 29, 2013 6:28:25 PM

or just google it?
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 6:28:46 PM

just google dual boot windows 7 ubuntu
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 6:34:42 PM

it sort me out english and french link on google because my system is french .
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:54:31 PM

Got the Lifehacker article and will try that, too, if the other gives me trouble. Thanks bdiddytampa and rgd1101.
rgd1101 said:
just google dual boot windows 7 ubuntu

m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 3:05:50 PM

If you're just wanting 7 to run applications (i.e. no gaming) that are not supported well by Wine, then why not install 7 in a VM with VirtualBox or VMware Player and then use VBs "seamless mode" or VMware's "Unity" to run Windows applications on your Ubuntu desktop as if they were Linux apps. ..... Just a thought.
m
l
January 30, 2013 5:02:49 PM

That's more money than I want to spend, but thanks for the options.

Quote:
If you're just wanting 7 to run applications (i.e. no gaming) that are not supported well by Wine, then why not install 7 in a VM with VirtualBox or VMware Player and then use VBs "seamless mode" or VMware's "Unity" to run Windows applications on your Ubuntu desktop as if they were Linux apps. ..... Just a thought.

m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2013 8:58:56 PM

dlpeck said:
That's more money than I want to spend, but thanks for the options.

I'm assuming you already have Windows 7? If so then my solution costs no money as VirtualBox and VMware Player are both free.
m
l
January 31, 2013 11:24:38 AM

If you note my original question, I have Unbuntu running and am trying to add Windows 7. Ubuntu won't let me without jumping through some hoops. No non-Ubuntu software will run when I put it into my CD drive. It looks like I'm in the reverse situation from most people who have Windows loaded and want to add Ubuntu.
Quote:
I'm assuming you already have Windows 7? If so then my solution costs no money as VirtualBox and VMware Player are both free.

m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 8:40:35 AM

dlpeck said:
If you note my original question, I have Unbuntu running and am trying to add Windows 7. Ubuntu won't let me without jumping through some hoops. No non-Ubuntu software will run when I put it into my CD drive. It looks like I'm in the reverse situation from most people who have Windows loaded and want to add Ubuntu.

I understand what you are trying to do, when I asked if you already had Windows 7 I meant had you purchased it, I didn't mean was it installed. (i.e. there would be no cost implication by using 7 in a VM).

Without actually installing Windows 7 on to the machine and dual booting then running Windows apps in their native environment can best be achieved by running it in a VM and using the seamless or unity modes of the VM software to create a more seamless environment.

This is how I use Adobe Lightroom. I have a Windows 7 VM, While in Debian I boot the VM, switch to unity mode, start Lightroom and it runs right there on my Debian desktop as if it were a Debian application. You can map your cd-rom through to the VM so you can install whatever Windows apps you want quite easily.

Watch this demo clip on youtube it shows Windows XP in unity mode on a linux host. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDUyil00EqQ
m
l
!